Over the odds - Players bought for more than needed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Billy_5_Times » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:58 pm

Do we buy players because of their reputation rather than their ability?

It's not just Liverpool who do this. Practically every side in the world pays over the odds for players, but Liverpool, espeially under GH, seemed to do a bit too much. Cisse 14 million, Heskey 11 million and Diouf for 10 million. All of who didn't perform the way their price tag needed. Also we had Morientes for 6 mill, which because of his reputation looked good buisness but proved it wasn't, especially when we only got 3 million back in for him.

Is it going to be the same with Bellamy and Pennant? Is 6 mill for both of them to much? By what I have seen it looks as if we have got 2 bargains but it's hard to make a real judgement in pre-season. I heard that Feyernoord aren't willing to sell Kuyt for anything less than 14 million, and despite his record more than  14 million is a lot for an unproven player in the Premiership. If we have the 14 million I would rather spend it on players who have proven they can hack it and score in England. Ashton and Robbie Keane would both be good buys for us.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby el_stinger » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:04 pm

We have always bought big. We have always gone over the top for the best players. Mind you, back then we did our homework and didn't spend willy-nilly as GH in his era. Benitez has done well with his buys, and we see it in the trophy cabinet. His greatest feat is still the signing of Gerrard, that will ultimately be the best thing that EVER happened to our club and the best signing Benitez will have made in his entire tenure. :;):
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:09 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:Do we buy players because of their reputation rather than their ability?

no, that's what newcastle do.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:17 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:Do we buy players because of their reputation rather than their ability?

I think yes, what about you
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:18 pm

stmichael wrote:

no, that's what newcastle do.

You can't say no we don't because we do. Newcastle are one of the sides who do it as well, but we are guilty also. Ciise top scorer in France so we bought him. Heskey played well for Leicester and was superb for us in his first season when he was played in his proper postion, in the box. We bought Diouf after a good world cup performance in 2002.

My faith in Rafa is strong enough that if he buys a player for a big sum of money then he must have some quality. Xabi Alonso was bought for a big sum and has proved every penny worth. Pepe Reina was bought for a lot, considering other keepers and again has proved to be good buisness by Rafa. So if he does buy Kuyt for over 14 mill then he must be worth it.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Billy mate youve lost me completely
  I heard that Feyernoord aren't willing to sell Kuyt for anything less than 14 million, and despite his record more than  14 million is a lot for an unproven player in the Premiership. If we have the 14 million I would rather spend it on players who have proven they can hack it and score in England. Ashton and Robbie Keane would both be good buys for us.

So if he does buy Kuyt for over 14 mill then he must be worth it.

This is the 3 or 4 time you have seemed to contradict yourself in recent threads. Hopefully its just me having a bad day.
account deleted by request

Postby Billy_5_Times » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:35 pm

s@int wrote:Billy mate youve lost me completely
  I heard that Feyernoord aren't willing to sell Kuyt for anything less than 14 million, and despite his record more than  14 million is a lot for an unproven player in the Premiership. If we have the 14 million I would rather spend it on players who have proven they can hack it and score in England. Ashton and Robbie Keane would both be good buys for us.

This is the 3 or 4 time you have seemed to contradict yourself in recent threads. Hopefully its just me having a bad day.

It's not a contridiction. I don't want us to buy Kuyt but if we did then he must be worht it, if Rafa is willing to spend the money, becuase Rafa hasn't bought big on someone who hasn't been successful.
Billy_5_Times

Postby babu » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:41 pm

:O , my head hurts

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:42 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:
s@int wrote:Billy mate youve lost me completely

It's not a contridiction. I don't want us to buy Kuyt but if we did then he must be worht it, if Rafa is willing to spend the money, becuase Rafa hasn't bought big on someone who hasn't been successful.

Also we had Morientes for 6 mill, which because of his reputation looked good buisness but proved it wasn't, especially when we only got 3 million back in for him.

We are getting there slowly  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:45 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:It's not a contridiction. I don't want us to buy Kuyt but if we did then he must be worht it, if Rafa is willing to spend the money, becuase Rafa hasn't bought big on someone who hasn't been successful.

Were you not on here yesterday spouting sh!te about how c.rap Rafa's been in the transfer market compared to Shanks and Paisley?  Three good signings and the rest rubbish you said as though Rafa doesn't have a fecking clue.  After all, the man signed Fernando Morientes, Luis Garcia and Bolo Zenden!  :no

Numpty!  :kungfu:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Billy_5_Times » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:It's not a contridiction. I don't want us to buy Kuyt but if we did then he must be worht it, if Rafa is willing to spend the money, becuase Rafa hasn't bought big on someone who hasn't been successful.

Were you not on here yesterday spouting sh!te about how c.rap Rafa's been in the transfer market compared to Shanks and Paisley?  Three good signings and the rest rubbish you said as though Rafa doesn't have a fecking clue.  After all, the man signed Fernando Morientes, Luis Garcia and Bolo Zenden!  :no

Numpty!  :kungfu:

Compared to Shanks and Paisley, Rafa has no where their quality in signings. Rafa hasn't had the same success with his signings as those 2 either. I haven't changed my view there. And if you read it Bad Bob you would read, that I said Rafa has made 3 good buys, Alonso, Sissoko and Reina, which other than Sissoko I have said on here. And this topic is buying players for more than what is needed. Rafa hasn't done this, and I have never said he has.
Billy_5_Times

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:08 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:And this topic is buying players for more than what is needed. Rafa hasn't done this, and I have never said he has.

Sure you did.  In your opening post, where you said we bought Morientes for 6 million and sold him for 3 million, which was bad business.  Surely you are arguing that Rafa paid over the odds for him?

Also, your persistent tirade about how useless Garcia is suggests that you think Rafa paid well over the odds for him to, since you don't even think he's good enough for Liverpool.

Now you're arguing that Rafa has never paid over the odds for any of his transfers which is in clear contradiction to your previous comments, including comments in this very thread!  :Oo:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:11 pm

every top club has paid over the odds for players. that's football. as fans we can all argue till the cows come home about how much we think a player is worth. we're just fortunate that we have a manager now who won't pay any more for a player THAN HE THINK'S HE'S WORTH.

and as for comparing his signings to shanks and paisley, that's just ridiculous.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby coddy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:25 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:And this topic is buying players for more than what is needed. Rafa hasn't done this, and I have never said he has.

Sure you did.  In your opening post, where you said we bought Morientes for 6 million and sold him for 3 million, which was bad business.  Surely you are arguing that Rafa paid over the odds for him?

Also, your persistent tirade about how useless Garcia is suggests that you think Rafa paid well over the odds for him to, since you don't even think he's good enough for Liverpool.

Now you're arguing that Rafa has never paid over the odds for any of his transfers which is in clear contradiction to your previous comments, including comments in this very thread!  :Oo:

I think Garcia is worth the money we paid, he has moments of sheer class and has scored important goals (Juventus & Cheatski in CL 2005 for example).

Anyway going off topic slightly.

ManUre seemed to have been dragged into that net slightly, Carrick for what could be £18m?? i think not. Not when they bought Ronaldo for £12.5m and he has given a great return for the money, Carrick really will have to pull his finger out.

As for Bellamy and Pennant, i think their price tags are based on their reputation (on and off pitch) rather than their ability. if Bellamy played just on ability he would be worth much more. The only thing to do is sit back and see how we get on over the next year. (5-1 for us to win the league are good odds i reckon, putting us second favourites). just shows that the punters think we're worth it.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coddy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:27 pm

stmichael wrote:and as for comparing his signings to shanks and paisley, that's just ridiculous.

Very ridiculous seeing as signings were in the thousands, not the millions.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion