Our very best eleven.... - Based on a couple of matches.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:13 pm

Festy wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Are we seriously going to worry so much about Stoke that we'll completely reorganize our back four to deal with their 'threat'?  Bollox to that! :no

No we are not going to worry but Rafa will. It's in his blood to always choose starting 11 according to his opponent. And don't forget it'll be our 3rd game in a week so he's more than likely to rotate.

Oh I don't doubt he'll make some changes, mate.  If one of those changes is playing Carragher at RB, however, as a way of addressing the aerial threat of Stoke on diagonal balls, I'll eat my hat. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:19 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:this gerrard debate got me thinking
1) how many times did we win with him in the centre and with him on the right?
2) how many goals did we score when he was on the right?
3) how much more of an attacking threat are we?
4) is the really best in CM? cos i personally dont think so as i feel he is hindering alonso's game.

1) Can't be used to judge anything as he has played in the middle more often , you could base the % if he has played equal games in both positions

2) Again can't tell you that unless someone can find the stats

3) Well if gerrard was on the right and we had xabi and alonso in the middle we're not really an attacking threat now are we .

4)First season they both played in the middle and alonso was still superb? How is gerrard playing in the middle affecting alonso's game now? Last season he was playing as a 2nd striker in the 4-5-1 and still alonso was not performing , i don't think you have a valid point there

1) we're better at opening up defences when gerrard was on the right. at least he had the skill and ability to dribble and control instead of having the ball bounce of him.
2) dont think its far off to assume that he scored more goals in that one season then all our right wingers combined.
3) of course we arent any threat when we have xabi AND alonso playing in the middle.
4) why does xabi seem to step up when gerrard isnt playing? wasnt the first season something like ''kewell-momo-alonso-gerrard''?

put it another way...who would get you the goals? kuyt, gerrard and xabi/mash OR xabi, mash and gerrard?

Sorry meant to say xabi and masch as the preferred CM pairing , not very attacking . The season gerrard played on the right , how many goals did our Central midfielders score?
Gerrard is most effective when played in the middle .

@Bad Bob , fair enough , lets end the discussion there and there but just to clarify i do rate xabi as a player but over the past 3 seasons i think we can with our both hands how manu sublime performances he has had , and yes he has been playing deepers as of late , allowing masch to go forward
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Festy wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Are we seriously going to worry so much about Stoke that we'll completely reorganize our back four to deal with their 'threat'?  Bollox to that! :no

No we are not going to worry but Rafa will. It's in his blood to always choose starting 11 according to his opponent. And don't forget it'll be our 3rd game in a week so he's more than likely to rotate.

Oh I don't doubt he'll make some changes, mate.  If one of those changes is playing Carragher at RB, however, as a way of addressing the aerial threat of Stoke on diagonal balls, I'll eat my hat. :D

You are right though. Since we are at home, it's highly unlikely that those donkeys will even be allowed to touch the ball.  :buttrock
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Festy wrote:I'd rather put Carra at right than Arba until Degen is fit.

surely his performance tonight once again proves that this would be complete madness. the guy is an absolute man mountain in defence.

i'm not a big fan of arbeloa but carragher has to be in the centre when he's in such great form.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Here's what my team would be. Perhaps you could debate whether to include Kuyt instead of Babel (he'll work tirelessly for the entire game whereas Babel often plays best coming off the bench), but I'd like to see this tried out:

Reina

Arbeloa     Carra        Agger   Aurelio

Masch       Alonso

Babel             Gerrard           Riera

Torres

Subs:
Cavalieri
Skrtel
Degen (Arbeloa could fill in on the left, therefore I'd have Degen on the bench instead of Dossena, though I don't really rate him that much tbh)
Lucas
Benayoun
Kuyt
Keane (A bit hard to leave him out, but I just can't find room for him atm. My best alternative would be to put him behind Torres and move Gerrard to the right instead of Babel)

Of course, as Dawson stated earlier in this thread, formation and starting lineup will - to a certain extent - have to be based upon who and where we are playing, but the above team is the team I'd be most excited to see, if such considerations were left aside for a minute.
JamCar05

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:54 pm

I think we're starting to see Rafa's vision which I'm hoping he is proved correct similar to the zonal marking topic. It's becoming increasingly obvious that we have no preferred starting 11 or formation and each selection is based on the opposition we are playing and the strategy we are employing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kukilon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Reina

Arbeloa     Carra        Skrtel   Insua

Masch       Alonso

Kuyt           Gerrard           Riera

Torres

Second half subs
Agger
Babel
Keane

I may be crazy but Insua has looked better than both Aurelio and Dosseana.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben1988 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:23 pm

would you not like to see an on form ryan bable down that right wing rather than kuyt? im not havin a pop at kuyt i like the guy but i think that if bable can play like he has shown he can i would love 2 see him starting for us week in week out down the right with riera on the left
Ben1988

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:26 pm

Ben1988 wrote:would you not like to see an on form ryan bable down that right wing rather than kuyt? im not havin a pop at kuyt i like the guy but i think that if bable can play like he has shown he can i would love 2 see him starting for us week in week out down the right with riera on the left

Don't let Fo Dne hear you say that he never speak to you agian.  :p

Like that would be the worst thing.  :laugh:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:28 pm

stmichael wrote:I think we're starting to see Rafa's vision which I'm hoping he is proved correct similar to the zonal marking topic. It's becoming increasingly obvious that we have no preferred starting 11 or formation and each selection is based on the opposition we are playing and the strategy we are employing.

One thing I like about rafa St. is fact he makes the other managers think and earn there wage. Most managers just pick same formation and you know what to exspect but I really think teams fear us now , Just cos they don't know how we will setup week in week out.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Why not? Sort of person who doesnt like too listen to other peoples opinions?  ???
Ben1988

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Ben1988 wrote:Why not? Sort of person who doesnt like too listen to other peoples opinions?  ???

No he just thinks babel is pile of :censored: that isn't worthy to wear the red shirt.

Tho I been saying since day one babel will be a great player for us.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

I'd like to know his reasons why..... I think he offers so much that we need atm an will hopefully get better and better.
Ben1988

Postby taff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:I think we're starting to see Rafa's vision which I'm hoping he is proved correct similar to the zonal marking topic. It's becoming increasingly obvious that we have no preferred starting 11 or formation and each selection is based on the opposition we are playing and the strategy we are employing.

One thing I like about rafa St. is fact he makes the other managers think and earn there wage. Most managers just pick same formation and you know what to exspect but I really think teams fear us now , Just cos they don't know how we will setup week in week out.

I agree with that to be honest but if forced into a starting 11 it would be

Reina GK
Arbeloa RB
Agger CD
Carragher CD
Dossena LB
Mash CM
Gerrard CM
Riera LM
Babel RM
Keane S
Torres S

Hard on Alonso as SG could go on the right but Babel is starting to excite me and could prove a handful on the right hand side as I think Riera could make the left his own. SG could again support Torres but I think Keane with SG supporting from midfield could be more effective.

Skrtel has done nothing wrong but I just think that Agger and Carra are just better players at this moment in time

Worryingly, Reina is my player of the season so far and keepers should not be the player of the season unless your in a relegation battle but I expect this change over the next month.  I like Dossena as he looks no nonsense and does support the attack.

Mash picks himself but if Alonso was in superb form he would be seriously challenged
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Ben1988 wrote:I'd like to know his reasons why..... I think he offers so much that we need atm an will hopefully get better and better.

look on the ryan babel topic and you see what people think mate but I warn you , you won't like it.  :D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion