Our squad - Not that weak..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:26 pm

so much depth in there as well tho, Dirk, Aqua, Meireles, Agger, Skrtel and even Lucas. There's loads of quality in and about, we just need that bit of flair. I'm hoping there's still three to come in - left back, centre back and a winger. Dunno about that 'marquee signing' now though

Looking at who we're buying, Mata probably doesn't fit unless he goes where Downing is above and then we're completely overstocked in the middle of the park by restricting ourselves to playing only three. It's certainly a head scratcher, hopefully we don't shoot ourselves in the foot wage bill wise. We surely have to move some players on as soon as

The squad's certainly reaching a decent size - we might even have a decent subs bench next season!! It's been a while  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:32 pm

ethanr wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
Kopite-Jud wrote:I fancy us to do great things this season.

When you look at other clubs in and around the "big four", City are neither here or there,dont know their best 11, chopped and changed every week. They will not be the same team without Tevez.

United, are not looking stong, very lightweight in midfield, with Scholes calling it a day, and Giggs seeming to have had the Female population Carrick and Fletcher are never dominating any football game. :D

Arsenal are falling to pieces, Fabregas wants away, aswell as Nasri, Cliche has already gone.

Chelsea?? New management who knows who will go/stay. Unpredictable.

Am i being bias here or seeing things clearly?

I can see us being in the title race, and winning silverware next season!

With regards to our squad, the addition of Adam ,Henderson and by the looks of things Downing to follow, are top quality (proven in the Premier League signings). Also are the signings in January. With the guidence of King Kenny i see great things to come with this squad.

YNWA

feck, Tottenham are gonna win the league!!!

:laugh:

I'm okay with the signings we've made.  Hendo was too much, but in the long-term I fully believe he will be a good signing.  I'm thrilled about Charlie Adam signing and I hope we get Downing as well.

Saw this on one of the articles on LFC.TV

It's the guys projected lineup for the players he's sure we will sign by the time the window closes.

Reina

Johnson  Carra     Dann   Enrique

Gerrard      Henderson    Adam

Suarez   Carroll   Downing

Interesting lineup there... Not sure Adam could be best used as a left winger, tho he does have all the attributes of a great winger.  Henderson starting in the middle of Aqua, Meireles (Both maybe gone) and Lucas is laughable, tho at the same time maybe it's not.  Downing playing as a third strike makes no sense tho.  The only way I see us playing a 4-3-3 at this point is if we play Gerrard on the right, Adam in the middle, Downing on the left, and a player like Mata as the third striker.

Adam has all the attributes of a great winger ?!? Your jokin me right ? Attributes a winger needs - Pace , dribbling and crossing - one out of three ain't bad I suppose .
Benny The Noon

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
ethanr wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
Kopite-Jud wrote:I fancy us to do great things this season.

When you look at other clubs in and around the "big four", City are neither here or there,dont know their best 11, chopped and changed every week. They will not be the same team without Tevez.

United, are not looking stong, very lightweight in midfield, with Scholes calling it a day, and Giggs seeming to have had the Female population Carrick and Fletcher are never dominating any football game. :D

Arsenal are falling to pieces, Fabregas wants away, aswell as Nasri, Cliche has already gone.

Chelsea?? New management who knows who will go/stay. Unpredictable.

Am i being bias here or seeing things clearly?

I can see us being in the title race, and winning silverware next season!

With regards to our squad, the addition of Adam ,Henderson and by the looks of things Downing to follow, are top quality (proven in the Premier League signings). Also are the signings in January. With the guidence of King Kenny i see great things to come with this squad.

YNWA

feck, Tottenham are gonna win the league!!!

:laugh:

I'm okay with the signings we've made.  Hendo was too much, but in the long-term I fully believe he will be a good signing.  I'm thrilled about Charlie Adam signing and I hope we get Downing as well.

Saw this on one of the articles on LFC.TV

It's the guys projected lineup for the players he's sure we will sign by the time the window closes.

Reina

Johnson  Carra     Dann   Enrique

Gerrard      Henderson    Adam

Suarez   Carroll   Downing

Interesting lineup there... Not sure Adam could be best used as a left winger, tho he does have all the attributes of a great winger.  Henderson starting in the middle of Aqua, Meireles (Both maybe gone) and Lucas is laughable, tho at the same time maybe it's not.  Downing playing as a third strike makes no sense tho.  The only way I see us playing a 4-3-3 at this point is if we play Gerrard on the right, Adam in the middle, Downing on the left, and a player like Mata as the third striker.

Adam has all the attributes of a great winger ?!? Your jokin me right ? Attributes a winger needs - Pace , dribbling and crossing - one out of three ain't bad I suppose .

Adam can dribble the ball, but wingers don't actually need to dribble so much if they are good movers of the ball.  Downing isn't very quick either, and yet his great crosses and great movement of the ball make him a good winger.  Adam can move the ball and get into really good positions where his dead-eye passing can put in Suarez or set Carroll up for a good chance.  He could play really well as a winger.

You don't need the nani type winger or the young type winger unless you only plan on scoring on counter attacks like aston villa did, and like manure often did.  Now don't grill into me saying manure scored more than counters, I know they did, but they scored a lot of counter attacks by either using nani down the winger or rooney or chic thru the center.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Your missing one thing out - pace - something all wingers have , trickery . Adam is no a winger and should never ever play as a winger . Downing is pretty quick , not as quick as Lennon say but still quick . If Adam plays on the wing it would be a massive crime .

You have one person on here talking like he is the second Alonso with this dead eye passing ?!  , your saying he could be a great winger - the way people are talking it is like we have just bought the new Messi . Let's get a bit real and lower expectations of him a little to give the guy a chance - if he fails to reach the very high expectations people are holding for him at the moment there is only going to be disappointment .
Benny The Noon

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Passer from deep, that's Charlie Adam. Not sure about his ability to protect the back 4 mind, but Alonso was never the boy at that either - he was good at getting the oppo sent off tho :D

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Greavesie wrote:Passer from deep, that's Charlie Adam. Not sure about his ability to protect the back 4 mind, but Alonso was never the boy at that either - he was good at getting the oppo sent off tho :D

Xabi got a by better as the years went by but he always had a protector next to him - Gerrard , Didi or Masher doing that job for him .

Lucas will be the protector so he will start - and next to him you will prob have Gerrard with Downing left - Kuyt/maybe Henderson/ new guy right with Suarez and Carroll up front . Back 4 off New lb , Carra and Agger /skrtel and johnson RB . That leaves on the bench

Kuyt/Henderson
Meireles
Adam
Skittles/Agger/Greek
Robinson
Kelly
Flanagan
Maxi

With rest prob sold
Benny The Noon

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm proper excited for next season, we still need to address the defence and I can't help but feel something's missing in attack, that bite (no pun intended :D )

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Greavesie wrote:I'm proper excited for next season, we still need to address the defence and I can't help but feel something's missing in attack, that bite (no pun intended :D )

Left back will sort out defence and then wide players for the attack . The width is necessary - we bought a 35 million pound striker who thrives off crosses and we need to supply .
Benny The Noon

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm not saying Adam should be played on the wing, I'm just saying at this point in time, he'd be better than what we have.  I still think he'd be successful on the wing regardless of his lack of pace.  His control of the ball is amazing and he's really good at sticking it where he wants it to go.  With Carroll at the end of his set pieces, we are looking at a deadly combination.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:53 pm

ethanr wrote:I'm not saying Adam should be played on the wing, I'm just saying at this point in time, he'd be better than what we have.  I still think he'd be successful on the wing regardless of his lack of pace.  His control of the ball is amazing and he's really good at sticking it where he wants it to go.  With Carroll at the end of his set pieces, we are looking at a deadly combination.

Players like Xavi , Fabregas , Alonso , Iniesta , Gerrard have amazing control of the ball - are you saying Adam has the same ability ?

No doubt he is good with the ball but amazing is a little bit ott don't you think - if someone was "amazing" control off the ball then they wouldn't be waiting till they were 25 until they moved to a big club and they would be massive bids and people fighting over him .

Temper your expectations a little - he is a decent prem player who shone for 6 months in a small club - I watched him playing for Scotland against ROI in that tournament they had a while back and he was nothing like you suggested - his selection of pass and control was poor - his lack of mobility in a two man centre midfield was exposed by the two ROI guys . I would say let's see if he can make the step up before going overboard as he has already had a time at a fairly big club and it didn't work out .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:44 pm

ethanr wrote:I'm not saying Adam should be played on the wing, I'm just saying at this point in time, he'd be better than what we have.  I still think he'd be successful on the wing regardless of his lack of pace.  His control of the ball is amazing and he's really good at sticking it where he wants it to go.  With Carroll at the end of his set pieces, we are looking at a deadly combination.

He is no winger mate.
Centre mid is his position.
Agree with Benny the gloom on this one.

Sorry Benny just joking, i know your as excited as all of us  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:

He is no winger mate.
Centre mid is his position.
Agree with Benny the gloom on this one.

Sorry Benny just joking, i know your as excited as all of us  :D

:buttrock  :rasp
Benny The Noon

Postby Ray Pugh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:

Players like Xavi , Fabregas , Alonso , Iniesta , Gerrard have amazing control of the ball - are you saying Adam has the same ability ?

No doubt he is good with the ball but amazing is a little bit ott don't you think - if someone was "amazing" control off the ball then they wouldn't be waiting till they were 25 until they moved to a big club and they would be massive bids and people fighting over him .

Temper your expectations a little - he is a decent prem player who shone for 6 months in a small club - I watched him playing for Scotland against ROI in that tournament they had a while back and he was nothing like you suggested - his selection of pass and control was poor - his lack of mobility in a two man centre midfield was exposed by the two ROI guys . I would say let's see if he can make the step up before going overboard as he has already had a time at a fairly big club and it didn't work out .

Completely agree

Hope he proves me wrong though.
He's a Liverpool player now so I fully support him
Ray Pugh

Postby desmdlow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Beckham was neither fast nor possess trickery.. Not that i saying i support that Adam to play left wing but i can see him play early crosses from left side by playing on the left of a 3 man mid. Enrique will be perfect for left wing back bombing forward in support. Thats my view tho..
desmdlow

Postby desmdlow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:39 pm

with Enrique we can deploy as such and for me it is a formidable team with depth.

Reina
Johnson, Carra, Skrtel, Enrique
Gerrard, Lucas, Adam
Henderson, Suarez
Carrol

Gerrard & hendo can interchange
desmdlow

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion