Our squad - Not that weak..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby only me » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Nothing changed since last year ,meaning we still need 5 more quality players to compete for any of the four spots.

Our back four are a total mess (mainly LB and CB Position) ,we lack a creative MF ,Wingers and perhaps another striker. Let's not confuse our burst of positive results since Kenny's arrival with a sign we can count on most of the players in our squad.We can't.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:36 pm

I dont think that list you have up there is "good enough"... Some of the players are obviously top quality while the majority are simply average footballers..

Whether that list is "good enough" or not is ultimately relative to how the competition is... Looking at the other top sides that will likely be in contention for a top4 spot (ManUtd, Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal, Tottenham) it seems pretty obvious that ATM, all those other sides have stronger squads in most areas of the pitch.

I think a better list would be one that has players who are good enough AND can be relied on for a top4 spot in your opinion and have them divided into starters and subs..

the way I see it..

GK
Reina (starter)
Jones

RB
Johnson (starter)
Kelly

CB

Carragher (starter)
Agger
Skrtel

LB

Robinson

DM

Lucas (starter)
Spearing

CM

Gerrard (starter)
Meireles (starter)
Aquilani

LW

Joe Cole
Maxi

RW

Kuyt (starter)
Henderson

FW

Suarez (Starter)
Carroll (starter)

Which leaves us missing precisely what everyone has been calling for : a good LB, a top CB, flair down the left flank, and a backup forward..

I dont think fullbacks are particularly important positions that require much spending to improve.. I'd be more than happy with the likes of Flanagan, Robinson and Kelly providing backup for our starters... That said, if we are serious about a top4 spot, then the 3 youngsters shouldnt be considered starting options. Kelly might hold his own but the downside of that is a significant hit on our attacking game from the right side..

Similarly, upfront i dont think we can rely on the likes of Ngog, Pacheco and Jovanovic for cover... If we are somewhat short on cash then perhaps bringing in an experienced player rather than a gamble youngster might be a better idea..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:00 am

maguskwt wrote:... it seems like we're stronger than last season and Kenny and Commoli would have a full pre-season to indoctrinate the players on their methods. I think that we have a strong enough squad to be in top 4. I would also have to point out that much of our disillusionment comes from the underperformances under Hodgson's reign of chaos. It seems like under Hodgson's system all our players seem to be cack!

I have to disagree there. Yes our performances improved but our last couple of games showed we are not stronger, just more confident.

As for Hodgson, I agree, his style of play was depressing, but it wasnt just down to him, Rafa also played a strong hand in turning us into a boring one dimensional team. Lets not forget, the lack of wingers is not down to Roy Hodgson. The fact that we also only had one real striker was not down to Hodgson also. So play fair, spread the blame.

As for players we need a left back and maybe a couple of centre backs. Carragher is getting on, and it shows. Skrtel isnt reliable, neither is Agger or Krgyiakos.

Midfield I think we are ok.

Wingers, well he have Henderson, which is a good move, but we could do with a couple more.

Striker, another top class one is needed. We have two good strikers but its a long season and it would be daft to rely on just two.

For me, the definite priority should be defence. We have some very good young players, Kelly I think will play a key part this coming season but the unreliabilty of the other players is letting us down.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:01 am

kenny brings out the best in even below average players IE mireles sparing and Maxi.but to compete with the top 4 we need a couple of quality signings. Then anythings possible.
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Raoul » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:04 am

aCe' wrote:Similarly, upfront i dont think we can rely on the likes of Ngog, Pacheco and Jovanovic for cover... If we are somewhat short on cash then perhaps bringing in an experienced player rather than a gamble youngster might be a better idea..

I think this is a good post, I wholeheartedly agree with you, except for this one comment.

The type of experienced players you get to play as fourth choice strikers are either idiots who are sure they will be good enough to play every week (Bendtner), hasbeens (Owen) or players who simply aren't good enough (Jovanovic).

Given those choices, I'd rather have a raw, hungry youngster in the team to be developed for the future. Perhaps the experienced player may get you more goals today (which may or may not turn out to be true), but in the long run I think the club is better served blooding youngsters.

Perhaps if we were playing in Europe we'd be able to give a good player the game time they'd want, but we aren't, so I think we'd be better off having a youngster in that position.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:56 am

The squad would be in bad shape come next season if things don't change.    You can look back and say, yea we would have been really high on the table if the season started after Dalglish took over, but things have changed.  We've signed a player for the future while manure have recovered their keeper plus a new winger/attacking cm.  Chelsea and city will obviously be strengthening, Spuds always spend a lot of money and arsenal are going after a lot of players we are.  Tho if arsenal lose fabregas and nasri as it appears they will as well as clichy, people may be worried about it becoming a sinking ship.

This means we have to improve our squad. Last year was probably the most mediocre year the english league has seen in a very long time.  Every team in the league had moments where they played really strong, and were they just couldn't win.  Next season I highly doubt will be similar. 

We NEED to improve our squad or we will be in trouble, and won't be looking at a top 4 spot.  I have faith in some of our players, and to be honest with Stevie, Suarez and Reina fully fit all season, last year we could have gotten a champion league spot.  This next season will be much more competitive tho, and that won't do it.  We need a few quality acquisitions to really solidify a charge for a champions league spot.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 am

I disagree with the OP to a large extent. I personally feel we have a squad littered with mediocre players and free loaders who only seem willing and content to pick up their pay cheques every fortnight. I think we could do with more of an overhaul than the odd tinkering/signing here or there.

I think the ''honey moon'' period under Kenny was enough to see us gain a final reputable standing in the league last year, without investment I can't see Kenny waving the same wand again throughout the entirety of the upcoming season. That's not undermining Kenny at all, rather, it's using the scope of realism to avoid disapointment.

Investment is needed. :)
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 am

Our squad is poor.
The centre half position concerns me and the fact that we dont have a left back is a major worry.
Hopefully that is being addressed this summer.
If we started the season now with this squad we would end up in a similar position to last season.
Like most have said we need a left back, a top centre half. at least one top attacking wide player and a striker.
I have no doubts that players will come in but like i said this current squad is not great at all.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:52 am

Kenny Kan wrote:I disagree with the OP to a large extent. I personally feel we have a squad littered with mediocre players and free loaders who only seem willing and content to pick up their pay cheques every fortnight. I think we could do with more of an overhaul than the odd tinkering/signing here or there.

I think the ''honey moon'' period under Kenny was enough to see us gain a final reputable standing in the league last year, without investment I can't see Kenny waving the same wand again throughout the entirety of the upcoming season. That's not undermining Kenny at all, rather, it's using the scope of realism to avoid disapointment.

Investment is needed. :)

I agree.

Anyone who thinks the squad is OK clearly hasn't been watching much. Rose tinted glasses.

Kenny has made a massive difference in terms of confidence and to a certain extent he can motivate players to play more consistently. What he cannot do however is change an average player into a top 4 player. and there lies our problem - our squad is littered with average squad players.

Insua
Konchesky
Kyrgiakos
Wilson
Ayala
Degen
Poulsen
El Zhar
Spearing
Jovanovic
Ngog

That's 11 players without even thinking about it.

Our squad needs renovation. New for old.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 pm

the problem is getting rid of these players. it's ok saying "well get rid of x, y and z" but who's realistically going to take these players on? ok it looks like ngog may be the first to go but the others will be harder to shift. who the hell is going to pay joe cole's wages for example at his age and with his injury record?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red_indian » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm

the problem is if you do a similar exercise to compare against manure, chelsea, city, arsenal and tottenham the result will highlight that we are much worse off in terms of options and real flexibility re formation/style of play - once you have selected the top 11 which we can very well compete on, who are your impact players from the bench that could really change things if things are going against us - we have a number that can fill in for injured players but offer very little to change/mix things up. If we could sell a combination of Insua, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Degen, Poulsen, El Zhar, Spearing, Jovanovic, Ngog, Aquilani, Cole and Maxi for around £30-40m and replace them with 4-5 players to fill in CB, LB, 2 wingers, Striker would that not be a better option?? am not saying that at £7/8m each any of the new boys would be the finished article or able to make an impact straight away but if we buy sensibly then they have to be better than konchesky/insua for LB and Cole/Jova for the wings etc. the we hope some youngsters can fill in if the first choiuce are out injured short term. dont forget with no eu football we really only have 38 league games and the fa cup to worry about (carling should be youngsters) so dont need a full compliment in the squad. next year once we're back in the champ league we can look to add another 5 players leaving us net net the same squad size as we currently are.
red_indian

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 pm

apparently jovanovic has been released with no compensation being paid to the player.

http://www.liverpool.no/newspg.aspx?id=29407&zone=1
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Some piccies of the players back to day in training .

UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:30 pm

some more
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm

more