Our skipper

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:02 pm

i remember sitting on the step between the back kitchen and the dining room on THAT night in may..it was about half 8ish and the thought of eating my already delayed tea was not one i needed to make right then.
infact i wasnt bothered about the pint id started after crespo's first went in....didnt even want a ciggie.
what i DID want to do was kick-off at the poster thats (still) plastered over the fireplace in the said dining room. rip it off the wall,burn it, stuff it down andy gray's neck (preferrably whilst still alight)!!... you get my meaning, it was a s.*i*e feeling wasnt it?

and then....

well we know the rest, every last second of it.

the catalyst?    well thats easy,  the gaffer, the team ethic, in most cases, the squad...absent friends?? who else??

and in particular our very own 'roy of the rovers'.  the club captain steven gerrard..

well also, thanks to him i nearly did savage my poster off the wall. along with the neatly washed and pressed in anticipation home shirt id put on. the one with his name and number all over it! i think he and several others ears MUST have been as red as their freshly laundered kits that night about half time.
all the talk of will he/wont he sign....didnt help the situation at all either. and as ive said, the shirt almost didnt make the next wash cycle!

how things have improved ...dramatically!

the player is truly in awesome form at the moment. and yet, he doesnt even look like the finished article yet...you get the feeling steven gerrard has more in the tank to come. its no little wonder either, judging it by the lack of any distraction other than the desire to succeed.
those who doubted the player and the man pre-season. when so nearly tempted by chelsea's pot at the end of the rainbow, now can only sigh in relief at the fact he didnt go. and at the realisation that they were seriously misguided if they thought the world would be a better place at liverpool without gerrard???

the understanding with alonso and crouch is working sweetly at present in particular. plus the switch in position to out on the right, i feel, is confusing sides. a tactical option that, in my opinion leaves no real urgency to spend loads on a right-winger. when we can more than make do already. this is the seeds of success i see happening for sure. and thats down to the tactical nouse of another legend. one who also gets little recognition outside this family.  ???

anyway, bottom line is, although certainly not the only one.
steven gerrard has without a shadow of a doubt recaptured his wits. and with it a new found determination. the stuff winning skippers need.
prior to the start of this season, i believed jamie carragher to be the only true mirror of that. regardless of istanbul.

now...we have a true captain, who wants captains responsibilities with all the ups and downs that brings.

liverpool look durable at present and resiliant. so does stevie.
long may that continue.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby ste123lfc » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:20 pm

great post:)
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby The Red Baron » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:28 pm

Good post mate.The difference in Stevies body language is amazing,the lad is enjoying his football
and has learnt to smile again.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:37 pm

I think the main difference in Gerrard is that he trusts Rafas' decisions and beleives in him.   Stevie G :bowdown
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:44 pm

red37 wrote:those who doubted the player and the man pre-season. when so nearly tempted by chelsea's pot at the end of the rainbow, now can only sigh in relief at the fact he didnt go. and at the realisation that they were seriously misguided if they thought the world would be a better place at liverpool without gerrard???

I was one who wondered if SG needed to go for the good of the team.  His body language, the way he led and related to his team mates had me pretty concerned.

Needless to say, I'm very glad to be able to admit to being a fool!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:48 pm

me too raoul :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby mighty mo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:56 pm

he is right mentally now and has no doubts about where  his future lies  and that is showing in his football now,he is back to his imperious best of the 2003 -2004 season which was his best season
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:05 pm

he looks happy now and i can't see him doing another "i'm the man" celebrations in this team. He now trusts his team mates and is doing what he does best and lfc are reaping the rewards.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby primodua » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:55 am

On the contrary, last evening's sportcenter (that's sky sports for you folks) reported that Liverpool are still not the "real deal" yet for the premiership or for any other reasons thanks to our skipper.
The team still lacking in depth since they are seriously depending upon gerrard's performance/presence/influence and the statistics proves it to be right (darn!). Liverpool wins were and still are definitely based on his first goals or service. The squad's tempo, mentality and approach are all too gerrard-dependant.
The argument is that, what if he's really not around? Long-term injury or even the possibility to be offered 150k salary a week? Can the team succeed? Arsenal, Manure, an unReal Madrid have lost their magic since the demise of Viera, Beckham/Keano, Makalele respectively.
Xabi Alonso presence is still inaduquate to fill in gerrard's position. Last season proves this when gerrard was out a few weeks due to injury. Although some may think that liverpool did play better without gerrard but come on, do u really think so? We did manage to win some games without him but the squad did not have one thing that's called inspiration.
Arsenal for example were having bad spells in the past few games but last night's performance against pompey they were on a rifle salute mode. Four gun salute to Viera. Viera attended the match and what inspiration he gave to the team. Arsenal were the Arsenal they used to be.
The point is Rafa needs to consider alternatives to gerrard. Alternatives may or may not be of the same skill or position but rather character and we seriously need another player with a damn strong character.

Do u think carra has got the charisma as gerrard has?  What d'ya think?

-sorry for the bad english, that's why i seldomly post long replies/topic  :sleep

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby mighty mo » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:48 am

primodua wrote:On the contrary, last evening's sportcenter (that's sky sports for you folks) reported that Liverpool are still not the "real deal" yet for the premiership or for any other reasons thanks to our skipper.
The team still lacking in depth since they are seriously depending upon gerrard's performance/presence/influence and the statistics proves it to be right (darn!). Liverpool wins were and still are definitely based on his first goals or service. The squad's tempo, mentality and approach are all too gerrard-dependant.
The argument is that, what if he's really not around? Long-term injury or even the possibility to be offered 150k salary a week? Can the team succeed? Arsenal, Manure, an unReal Madrid have lost their magic since the demise of Viera, Beckham/Keano, Makalele respectively.
Xabi Alonso presence is still inaduquate to fill in gerrard's position. Last season proves this when gerrard was out a few weeks due to injury. Although some may think that liverpool did play better without gerrard but come on, do u really think so? We did manage to win some games without him but the squad did not have one thing that's called inspiration.
Arsenal for example were having bad spells in the past few games but last night's performance against pompey they were on a rifle salute mode. Four gun salute to Viera. Viera attended the match and what inspiration he gave to the team. Arsenal were the Arsenal they used to be.
The point is Rafa needs to consider alternatives to gerrard. Alternatives may or may not be of the same skill or position but rather character and we seriously need another player with a damn strong character.

-sorry for the bad english, that's why i seldomly post long replies/topic  :sleep

yes and take lampard out of chelsea ,or henry out of arsenal or maybe rooney out of man united,these teams have similer influencial  talisman players as well
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:59 am

primodua wrote:On the contrary, last evening's sportcenter (that's sky sports for you folks) reported that Liverpool are still not the "real deal" yet for the premiership or for any other reasons thanks to our skipper.

Every team has ''characters'' in the team, inspirational players. We have Carragher and Gerrard, and there might be a few others but who aren't as vocal about it on the pitch.

Arsenal have Henry and Campbell, and they had Vieira who they have greatly missed. Man Utd had Keane, but now are depending on the goals of Rooney and Van Nistelroy.

Chelsea have Lampard and Terry. So every team in the Premiership has inspiration players that are important to them. People can question what we would be without Gerrard, but what would Chelsea be without Lampard who is their top goalscorer, and was last season?

We proved on many occasions than we get perform without Gerrard in the team. We played Juventus at Stadio del Alpi withought Gerrard, we put in one hell of a performance.

This team can win games without Stevie, we have won more games without him in the team. However he improves the team and would improve any team in the world right now.

We seem to be nit-picked by the media and labeled as a one man team. However Gerrard didn't win all of our games. There's Carra,Finnan,Sami,Alonso,Hamann,Riise,Morientes,Crouch,Garcia,etc..

It's a team game, and we've been playing as a team *knock on wood*. We didn't start playing well because Gerrard is in a good mood, Gerrard is in a good mood because we're winning games.

We're doing that by playing as a team, not by depending on Gerrard alone. We had Gerrard last season and the year before and so on and so forth, but we never had a run like this. It's down to the team and the manager.

And it really doesn't matter what Sky Sports or any other group of journalists/media have to say about us. They didn't think we were the ''real deal'' in last year's Champions League and ignored us. That bite them in the ass and they can continue to label us as a one man team, but it will come back to ha :censored: them.

Their opinion means nothing. They talked about how we wouldn't finish in the top five when we had a difficult start to the season, and I have no interest in their opinions now that we're in good form.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:44 am

Great post for a great capt.  :bowdown
LiverpoolMadman

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:52 am

i watched the boxing day game and made a point of watching gerrards movement of the ball, not once did he not want the ball, every minute of the game he was in a position where he could recieve the ball or pull defenders or midfielders away.

i think i realsied for the first time what a world class player he truly is rather than just take him for granted
112-1077774096

Postby Espionage » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:10 am

Gerrard has been truly magnificent for the whole season.......Sure we could have got 30m for him to Chelsea, but i think he is worth every penny
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:39 am

Sure we could have got 30m for him to Chelsea, but i think he is worth every penny

But I think he's priceless ...
LiverpoolMadman

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion