Our formation this season - Any sense so far?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:every time THEY were building from the back, Keane was was left, especially in the beginning.

It looks like Tony Barrett agrees with you, Joe.

"There is still no genuine width and the idea of having Robbie Keane stationed on the left wing is one which will take some getting used to, but, in the absence of players who get chalk on their boots, Liverpool are still managing to use the central areas of the pitch to good effect."

ECHO match report

Not so sure about that Bob, he then goes on to say -  "Yossi Benayoun is certainly enjoying working with an overlapping full back as his second half strike illustrated as he moved inside from his station wide left and produced a jinking run and finish which brought the Ullevaal Stadium to its feet.

For me Keane ran the channels on a few occasions but was more often running through the middle. (I thought he was making too many similar runs to Torres and they at times were almost stepping on each others toes)

Ahh, so he does, mate. :D  Is this shuffling about something that we can chalk up to pre-season experimenting, I wonder, or is the plan to have the likes of Keane, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel, etc. interchanging in the attacking third?

I certainly thought there was a lot of interchanging going on , Torres ran the channels for a while when Kuyt moved inside, but I think its early days to be deciding on a formation. A lot will depend on if we get Barry or not, and the return of Masch. I think we will probably stick with 4-4-2 until then.

The big problem for me is where Gerrard will fit in once Masch is back. I am not keen on him taking Kuyts role, and if as looks likely Keane and Torres are going to be an attacking pair, I can't see him playing behind the front two.

Maybe centre mid with Masch, but that then means Barry on the left, and no room for Alonso?
account deleted by request

Postby andy_g » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:32 pm

the fact that we'll need to accommodate torres, keane, gerrard, mascherano, kuyt, alonso, barry and babel in a starting midfield and attackk leads me to believe that we may just chop and change a little from time to time. add the fact that there are several 'almost starters' like benayoun and lucas, and people that are making a good case for themselves for a few starts like ngog and one unspeakable possibility becomes more or less probable. can anyone guess what that is?
:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:33 pm

here's a little clue...

it begins with the letter between Q and S

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 pm

andy_g wrote:the fact that we'll need to accommodate torres, keane, gerrard, mascherano, kuyt, alonso, barry and babel in a starting midfield and attackk leads me to believe that we may just chop and change a little from time to time. add the fact that there are several 'almost starters' like benayoun and lucas, and people that are making a good case for themselves for a few starts like ngog and one unspeakable possibility becomes more or less probable. can anyone guess what that is?
:D

ROOOOOOOOTATION Andy??? :D
All aboard the LFC merry-go-round!!

PLEASE NO! :no  :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:52 pm

3-5-2

Reina

Agger
Carra
Skrtel

Babel
Barry
Alonso
Gerrard
Kuyt (or ANother)

Keane
Torres

Job done with that formation!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Red H » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 pm

With the Olympics being on, and that I think we have one more signing to make, I think we will start as follows

Reina

Arbeloa      Carragher        Agger         Dossena

Alonso        Barry

Kuyt               Gerrard             Keane

Torres
Subs
Skertle
Plessis
Ngog
Benyyoun

Plessis in for Barry if not signed.

Although I do think we will play 4-4-2 in a reasonable percentage
of games this year I think 4-2-3-1 offers more flexibility give our dearth of wide players.  Particularly as I think there's a good chance of Pennant being off loaded to Blackburn, or Newcastle, and it we have signed two "attacking" full backs.
Red H

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:30 am

JoeTerp

Postby Sparkyflew » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:48 am

When the sodding olympics are out the way - with the current playing staff.

My first choice 11.

Reina

Arbeloa          Carragher            Agger             Dossena

Mascherano         Alonso

Gerrard                         Keane                        Babel

Torres

Subs
Cavalieri
Skyrtl
Ngog
Bennayoun
Plessis
Lucas
Nemeth

I think that Rafa will select the same formation as the one he used towards the end of the season last year - so successfully.  When he signed keane he spoke of his ability to play in different positions "on the right" so expect him to interchange positions with gerrard during the games to attempt to confuse the opposition.  this system is flexible and i think thats why rafa uses it - it can easily switch to a 4 4 2 when liverpool are chasing games - plus it incorporates other players well - i. bennayoun who's best position is centrally behind a front man, kuyt who i feel has done his best work on the right hand side of the attack and if we buy him barry, who will give balance to the midfield if he plays in place of Alonso (whether Xabi will be happy playing second fiddle to Barry is another thing mind)
I also think that the youngster can fulfill roles within this formation.  The two holding midfield places are ideal for lucas, Plessis and Spearing, while the central striker and support striker positions are great for showing the precocious talents of nemeth and pacheco respectively
Sparkyflew

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Sparkyflew wrote:When the sodding olympics are out the way

I thought they were in Beijing not Sodding.................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Owzat wrote:
Sparkyflew wrote:When the sodding olympics are out the way

I thought they were in Beijing not Sodding.................

:laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:47 am

The good thing about the 4-2-3-1 is that the players only need to be in those positions when we are defending and need to create a defensive shape. It's only a starting position for when we gain posession, and Gerrard can be all over the place when we have the ball and go wherever he likes - same with the other attacking players.

Gerrard can freely come off the right wing if he plays there and end up in attack knowing that even if we lose posession someone like Keane or Kuyt can cover the gap he leaves in the defensive formation. The team all becomes one fluid unit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben1988 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:02 pm

My 11 would be                         
                           Reina

Arbeloa     Carragher      Agger       Dossena
  |                                                    |
  |          Mascherano    Alonso(Barry)    |
Keane                Gerrard               Babel/(silva)
     \                                             /
       \                                          /
                         Torres

Cavalieri
Degan
Skrtle
Lucas/ (alonso)
Kuyt/ (Bable) / Ngog

In brackets is how it could be if signings happen!

This is very inter changable which is going to be such a bonus for us this year. Gerrard can play DFM or left, centre or right ATM behind torres. keans can do this aswell. Then we have Bable who can play left and Kuyt who can play right. Ngog is my choice over voronin and therefore voronin must go (IMO)

It would b grea to be able to pick between Barry Alonso and Mascherano at DFM then Gerrard would never have to play that role, or we wouldnt have to play 442. It would also be brilliant to be able to include silva in the attackin line up down the left. but as it is things look good.
Last edited by Ben1988 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben1988

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:24 pm

Ben1988 wrote:Reina

Arbeloa          Carragher            Agger             Dossena

Mascherano         Alonso(Barry)

Kean                           Gerrard                        Babel/(silva)

Torres
Cavalieri
Degan
Skrtle
Lucas/ (alonso)
Kuyt/ (Bable) / Ngog

In brackets is how it could be if signings happen!

This is very inter changable which is going to be such a bonus for us this year. Gerrard can play DFM or left, centre or right ATM behind torres. keans can do this aswell. Then we have Bable who can play left and Kuyt who can play right. Ngog is my choice over voronin and therefore voronin must go (IMO)

It would b grea to be able to pick between Barry Alonso and Mascherano at DFM then Gerrard would never have to play that role, or we wouldnt have to play 442. It would also be brilliant to be able to include silva in the attackin line up down the left. but as it is things look good.

keane on the right ?
You really think we paid 20mill to buy a striker then throw him on the right wing knowing he wont score or make half the goals we would have had he been played in his natural position ? i dont think so

if we dont play 2 strikers upfront then keane is gonna turn out to be rafa's most expensive mistake in the transfer market thus far.

From what I have seen in the friendlies so far i think we are going for a 4-4-2 with the wingers cutting inside and interchanging positions with the strikers. If you ask me, Kuyt is the best option we have down the right side atm and although he seems a shiit player technically, he does provide great balance to this formation that neither gerrard nor keane would provide imo. The left flank (fullback and winger) and the center backs are my main concern. Barry wouldnt be much of an improvement on the left side of midfield imo and i think the likes of Babel and even Benayoun would be better options.
Agger and Carra are both good center backs but as part of a back 4 that consists of the pair + arbeloa and dossena... i think our back line can be fairly easily stretched and the defensive pair can be drawn out of position.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:31 pm

so if hes gona play 442 with kuyt on left left who is playing in the centre??? gerrard and masch with alonso on the bench... why is he trying to buy barry then? and if he plays gerrard on the right in a 442 hes not using him to his potential.

4231 doesnt mean the wide players in the thre stick wide right its all interchangeable thats the point to create fredom of movement across the back four.
Ben1988

Postby Ben1988 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:36 pm

so we are buying barry as a left winger??? utter Bollo**s.. why pay so much for a player and play him out of position is what u just sed to me with regards to keane.  i no i sed play keane wide right in a 4231 but you are right he would play behind torres and gerrard play on the right. But like i say a 4231 give freedom to roam for torres the 3 players behind him. and that is why gerrard is affective on the right in a  4231!
Ben1988

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion