Our centre backs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:26 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:What people seem to forget about Agger is the space he makes for himself ,which has the added bonus of breaking up a stubborn midfield, plus his ability to bring strikers into play with genuine vision.
Im with Molby on this Agger is the future, and as for being slow ,looks can be decieving Class shows at any pace ..

The other thing is he can run with the ball. While we don't want someone being a bit too clever a la Traore and making a pig's ear, or getting caught in possession, it means a little less predictability. Close down the rest of our CBs and they go back to the keeper, play the ball square or hoof upfield. Rate rio or not, he can bring the ball forward and that can create space instead of having all passing options shut out
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Owzat wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:What people seem to forget about Agger is the space he makes for himself ,which has the added bonus of breaking up a stubborn midfield, plus his ability to bring strikers into play with genuine vision.
Im with Molby on this Agger is the future, and as for being slow ,looks can be decieving Class shows at any pace ..

The other thing is he can run with the ball. While we don't want someone being a bit too clever a la Traore and making a pig's ear, or getting caught in possession, it means a little less predictability. Close down the rest of our CBs and they go back to the keeper, play the ball square or hoof upfield. Rate rio or not, he can bring the ball forward and that can create space instead of having all passing options shut out

I shudder when I hear his name Djimi, see I cant even bring myself to say his last name (The source of  numerous panic attacks )  :(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:45 pm

I think we need to sign Agger and find a new CB.  I don't rate Skrtel or Carra as much as some here, they're just good, above average players that can have the occassional great game.  Agger, although at the moment is probably around the same level has so much more potential than either of the other two.  He has great positioning, a calmness to him at the back and is a far better distributor than the other two, which we need more often than not.  The only flaw of his is that he isn't that great in the air, but if he were to be played consistently in the starting 11 I think we would eventually see his best day in day out.

Agger's class is noticeable in the sense that he rarely looks like he's not in control of himself.  Like I said he's very calm at the back and in defense I think that is vital.

If we don't buy a new CB which I doubt we will Skrtel has to improve in the air, he's big, he's strong and supposedly is good at defending crosses but he can't score a fecking header.  He's yet to score one for us it's incredibly frustrating for me really when Torres and all these munchkins have to pull random headers from corners while our CBs can't ever put one in. (aside from Hyypia obviously)  Skrtel is good but if he can't improve in the air at attacking headers I don't think he should be the CB of the future as his other attributes are not hard to find elsewhere.

All in all we desperately need a CB that can attack a cross and cause some havoc in their box, it's such a big hole in our game.
Zidane

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm

On our centre backs, besides the posters, it seems that some other people outside newkit also have an opinion.

Pique is a young defender of F.C. Barcelona, a small club of a small league of a remote country, far from Anfield.

Pique is a CB.

Pique has a coach, named Guardiola.

Pique has said to the press, that Guardiola told him to get the Real Madrid - Liverpool video, and focus on Carraguer's performance in that game, as he could learn a lot.

Why small clubs of far away talk about Liverpool players and manager with words like these and the English press do not?

I don't know. Well, I truly do, but I think you can figure out why. :)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Sabre wrote:On our centre backs, besides the posters, it seems that some other people outside newkit also have an opinion.

Pique is a young defender of F.C. Barcelona, a small club of a small league of a remote country, far from Anfield.

Pique is a CB.

Pique has a coach, named Guardiola.

Pique has said to the press, that Guardiola told him to get the Real Madrid - Liverpool video, and focus on Carraguer's performance in that game, as he could learn a lot.

Why small clubs of far away talk about Liverpool players and manager with words like these and the English press do not?

I don't know. Well, I truly do, but I think you can figure out why. :)

If Barca is a small club in a small league in a remote country, I would hate to see what the English press would think of Port of Spain FC in Trinidad  :D
JoeTerp

Postby yolz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:49 am

The sad fact is that we need to strengthen almost every department
However, defence would be a good place to start
When we last won a league title, our defence was known as the Red Wall
Just look at carra. Granted that the blessed workhorse is aging, he still remains one of the best overlapping backs in England
Carra has looked threatening every time he moved forward, however, the reason he doesn't have the opportunity is that he is often too busy plugging the holes at the back
Let's face it, aerial weakness is only the tip of the iceberg, our lack of pace is another huge worry.
Our backs, while showing flashes of decent defending, sadly lack the ability to read the game
If only we had a similar Rio/Vidic combo, one a master at reading the flow of the game and one with iron lungs
Sammi's been a great asset so far, but looking for new blood to take over the reins is way overdue
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:13 pm

AWESOME performance by Big Sami yesterday, that was consumate centre-half play from the big Fin. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion but he has been (comfortably) our best CB this season and I think he deserves to be first choice. The guy gets better with age, such a great player. I hope Banana watched his performance yesterday. :bowdown
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 pm

He was excellent Scott no doubt about it. Just about the only cautionary note I would put on the whole Man Utd demolition is that in so much of our play, we showed once again just how good we are when teams come on to us and we can play on the counter. When we are able to sit in like we did, Sami can defend deep and with Mash in front (and Lucas as well on this occasion who from a destructive point of view was excellent) we are hard to break down. Hyppia was absolutely excellent from start to finsh, and they barely asked a question of him.

I was actually a little surprised that Ferguson didn't opt for Berbatov once he knew the big Finn was playing. He gave Sami a fairly torrid time for Spurs at Anfield last season, particularly in the air, and I think this was probably an oversight by the Man Utd manager. Equally, I thought Rooney at left side with Carragher over there was a curious choice. Equally, I would have expected Rooney to track in a bit more to ask a question of the centre halves and right sided defender, particularly as carra is unused to playing there these days.

Anyway that's a different point altoghether, as for Sami, he was absolutely excellent. The only rider with him these days remains the fact that against poorer teams who sit in, his presence means you can't defend with a high enough line.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:41 pm

The man is a legend and a superb centre back – end of.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Scottbot wrote:AWESOME performance by Big Sami yesterday, that was consumate centre-half play from the big Fin. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion but he has been (comfortably) our best CB this season and I think he deserves to be first choice. The guy gets better with age, such a great player. I hope Banana watched his performance yesterday. :bowdown

Tremendos yesterday Scott an what made it even sweeter for me was the lad wasnt startin an only got the nod after the warm up. So he didnt have long to prepare himself mentaly an all. But stepped right up to the plate once again an never put a foot wrong. Ok he hasnt got the legs anymore but his positional play was unbelievable, Just stepped out at one time an picked Tevez off, He knew were the ball was going an never moved until it was played . Brilliant defending, I said in another thread he should be offerd a job for as long as he wants by us , When he finishes which i hope is a long way off,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:11 am

Hyypia was excellent yesterday, but it comes as absolutely no surprise to me.  He may lack pace but he always has, and his reading of the game has got even better with age.

He's been written off more times than any Liverpool player I can remember, only to keep proving the doubters wrong.  He's good enough to play at this level for a couple more years without a doubt, hunger and injuries permitting (although not every week which would be a big ask at his age).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:36 am

Hyypia did a superb game, and he's been very reliable every time he had to play.

I won't go as far as saying he should start regularly, but I will say that I regret big time Rafa decided not to deem Hyypia's experience necessary for the CL.

As for Carraguer, I don't know if he's got enough credit for the Madrid games, but he's got the praises of nearly every football pundit around here for his two games.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:44 am

Hyypia's been immense all season. I think its a credit to him at the age of 35 to be able to keep himself fresh for when he's called upon. When he is called upon he hasnt dissapointed, and have many have said, he's been our best defender this season. Im not sayin he should play every game, fact is he wouldn't be able to, but he's got enough in the tank easily to play an extra 5-10 games a season more, and he should be. Based on form, its him and Skrtel at the back for me.
Thingy

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 am

Sabre wrote:Hyypia did a superb game, and he's been very reliable every time he had to play.

I won't go as far as saying he should start regularly, but I will say that I regret big time Rafa decided not to deem Hyypia's experience necessary for the CL.

As for Carraguer, I don't know if he's got enough credit for the Madrid games, but he's got the praises of nearly every football pundit around here for his two games.

hyypia is in the CL squad for the knockout  stages.
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 am

Scottbot wrote:AWESOME performance by Big Sami yesterday, that was consumate centre-half play from the big Fin. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion but he has been (comfortably) our best CB this season and I think he deserves to be first choice. The guy gets better with age, such a great player. I hope Banana watched his performance yesterday. :bowdown

His reading of the game is simply superb, even now. :bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion