Liverpool 3-2 Barcelona.

Those Catalan swines.

Rafa Benitez's Got Issues.
83-1171708240

Postby Red Red Tom » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 pm

Poor_Sunyol™ wrote:Barca 2-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-0 Barca.

:(

Very honest of you to predict a liverpool win over the two legs as a Barca fan.  Like a lot of reds I'm hoping Anfield will make the difference.
Red Red Tom

Postby Poor_Sunyol™ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Well we are not playing well at the moment and Rafa know's how to beat us.  Unless we get a super human display from one of the big guns we are going to get sunk.
Por Culo Con Madrid!
Poor_Sunyol™

Postby CarlosRocks » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:00 pm

im going for a 1-1 result at nou camp and 1-0 at anfield...
CarlosRocks

Postby tommycockles » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:21 pm

CarlosRocks wrote:im going for a 1-1 result at nou camp and 1-0 at anfield...

i'd be more than happy with that!! I do think that we'll need an away goal though as otherwise things are going to be very nervy at Anfield!!

Also- Sunyol- I used to live in Gibraltar- great place!! Lived there for nearly 2 years and will agree that the locals certainly do not see themselves as spanish!! (Not that i have anything against the spanish- quite the opposite)
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Poor_Sunyol™ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:31 pm

I don't have anything against them either, just their government in Madrid!

Good luck tomorrow!
Por Culo Con Madrid!
Poor_Sunyol™

Postby Poor_Sunyol™ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 am

My biggest fear tonight is that if Motta plays in the DM role it could be a disaster, with his lack of pace and positional sense Gerrard will steam-roller him.  I am also worried about Motta's lack of discipline and intelligence.  Liverpool will be very dangerous at set pieces with Alonso and Gerrard so we don't want to be giving away silly freekicks around the area.

Thuram has been given the green light to play, so it will really be very interesting to see whether Frank will risk him.  Personally I hope he does as we could do with his experience at the back and Marquez has been a liability back there but ok in midfield.

If not, which is more likely, then Olegeur will play in the centre with Zambrotta (RB) and Gio (LB) on the flanks.  Messi will need protection and I think Rijkaard will opt for Zambrotta to give him that over Olegeur.  Also Messi cuts in a lot more than Giuly, so we need Zambrotta to provide the width down that flank.

Deco, Marquez and Xavi in midfield goes without saying but we will see the introduction of Iniesta at some point and I really like what this little diamond from Albacete can offer as an impact player from the bench.

The next question is who will play upfront now that Ego'o has been discarded.  The majority seem to believe that it will be Gudjohnsen who will be 'titular' because of his experience of the English league and his superior physical attributes compared to Saviola.  Personally I would punt for Saviola, who although is rather one-dimensional, does offer more pace and would link up well with Messi his compatriot.  Rijkaard also rested Saviola against Valencia, so that might be a clue as to what he is thinking.

--------------------Valdes------------------
Zambrotta—Olegeur—Puyol------Gio
------------------Marquez----------------
----------Xavi-------------Deco---------
Messi------------Saviola------------R10

Barca are bound to have a lot of possession, no disrespect to Liverpool it is just we always do against anyone at Camp Nou, so it will be interesting to see if we can create some more chances than we have been recently.  I am hoping that Liverpool will have their hands full with Gaucho and Messi, giving Deco and Xavi time to weave their magic.

I can't see Liverpool playing anything other than a 4-5-1.  It will be interesting to see if they play Gonzalez (who I rate very highly) and Arbelda (to mark Gaucho).  Rafa will most likely set them out to pressurise in the midfield with Sissoko and Alonso trying to break things up and then trying to round our flanks with pace when they have possession.  Kuyt is a danger upfront and of course we shall have to watch the Red's at set pieces as we can't defend for toffee.

I am going for a 2-1 for Barca, which personally I don't think will be enough to take to Anfield.

P.S. I really hope that Messi get's to play and is not hacked out of the game.  We all want to see good football and a great contest between two proud teams.

------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this on my usual Barca forum, but I thought I would put it here as well.  I hope nobody minds..
:;):
Por Culo Con Madrid!
Poor_Sunyol™

Postby Red Red Tom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 pm

It was a good read - the rumours here are that we are going to play a 4-5-1 system:

Reina

Arbelda       Carra       Hyypia/Agger   Riise

Finnan           Sissoko      Alonso      Zenden
                            Gerrard

Kuyt

It looks a strong team, but I'm worried about surrendering the game before it starts - two forwards might be suicidal, or it might be the right, bold, attacking move.  I would have gone with Kuyt and Crouch, but with Kuyt as more of a link up player, with his work-rate he could have played the 'Garcia' role.

On the subject of Garcia, I really think we'll miss him tonight.  If he'd been fit I'm sure he would have played off Kuyt, and the formation would have been very different:

Reina
Finnan         Carra      Agger/Hyypia     Aurelio

Gerrard        Alonso       Sissoko       Riise

Garcia
                             Kuyt

I know which team I'd rather send out.
Red Red Tom

Postby Poor_Sunyol™ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:28 pm

Reina

Arbelda       Carra       Agger   Riise

Finnan       Gerrard      Sissoko      Alonso      Gonzales

Kuyt

My money is on this line up.
Por Culo Con Madrid!
Poor_Sunyol™

Postby kop king » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:30 pm

We should give Mascherano a full game tonite he's been training for 3 months so he's match fit and Barca don't know how the lad plays.
"Fook Off Chelsea FC, You aint got no history"
kop king

Postby kop king » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Agger  Riise

Pennant  Alonso Sissoko Bellamy

Gerrard
                       Kuyt

This will be the team tonight. I know it will even though Mascherano should start.
"Fook Off Chelsea FC, You aint got no history"
kop king

Postby Red Red Tom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:38 pm

Poor_Sunyol™ wrote:Reina

Arbelda       Carra       Agger   Riise

Finnan       Gerrard      Sissoko      Alonso      Gonzales

Kuyt

My money is on this line up.

I would MUCH rather see that than a team with Zenden anywhere near it, he's a nice guy; but not good enough for Liverpool, and definitely not good enough for Liverpool on tonight of all nights.  Gonzo's not played that well this season, so for me to be so much more enthusastic about a team with him in it shows just how awful Zenden actually is.
Red Red Tom

Postby Rafa D » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Red Red Tom wrote:I would MUCH rather see that than a team with Zenden anywhere near it, he's a nice guy; but not good enough for Liverpool, and definitely not good enough for Liverpool on tonight of all nights. 

Que goal and Man of the match performance from Zenden  :D

In all seriousness though, these are the types of games where Zenden will shine, in Europe he will get a hell of a lot more time on the ball and that is when he really shines, like the Community Shield against Chelsea, he played Lampard, Ballack, Sissoko etc off the park that day.

Come on Bolo lad.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 pm

kop king wrote:We should give Mascherano a full game tonite he's been training for 3 months so he's match fit and Barca don't know how the lad plays.

:no   sorry mate but thats the exact opposite of match fitness.

Training for three months without playing any competitive games of football (exluding the much written about 6 minutes) - means you are physically fit, but not match fit.

Match fitness comes when you have been playing a number of games at a high competitive level - such as first team games in the league and cups.

It means that you are alert, quick minded (good speed of thought), aware of whats happening around you and have a good touch on the ball when playing against quality opposition - (i.e. not against your own team mates in training.)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CarlosRocks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 pm

id actually like to see zenden on the pitch for us tonight. its one of those games where you'll see the real Bolo take to the pitch, he knows the opposition, the ground, the atmosphere and i think it'll be one of those games where he really shines...
CarlosRocks

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion