On paper... whats wrong?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Sabre wrote:I share some, but not all of the question marks he rises in his team. I often see eye to eye his assessments of players, being Agger and Keane apparently two exceptions, for me they are no question marks.

Our problems? a proper right midfielder and a top class RB (here I agree), and our lack of depth in certain areas. I consider Liverpool a top team in Europe. Top teams in Europe, you look at their bench, and you say, Oh my god!!!

While when I look at the midfield I see that (seeing Alonso in the bench for instance would be to have that kind of top replacements), and that's why I wouldn't fiddle with the midfield, when I look at the strikers I know that if Torres is injured, we are well and truly fúcked. That's what we lack compared to Barcelona for instance. They, for instance, would dream to have an Alonso or a Mascherano, but when you see the amount and quality of replacements they have everywhere it's a joke.

Big name players win you :censored: all but shirt sales though Brucey lad.

Teams win championships, thats why Oshea, Fletcher, Senderos, Kalou and other average players have won league titles.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Effes wrote:Liege 1 up.... peace everyone :D

Everton are out and its all Liverpools fault..... if we hadn't been "lucky" enough to beat Liege, they wouldn't have been in the UEFA cup.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Leon: I know where you come from, and I'd agree the first line until a extent. That's a very classic view about football, and the football I've known when I was younger. The football I like, and the football I miss.

But look nowadays mate, Belgium teams are a joke, where as Rapid Viena and Standard Liege meant something in the eighties. PSV teams are beaten as would be Stoke at Anfield.

This English and at a some extent Spanish dominance is directly related to the money, and how we monopolise players in these leagues, so names, count at some extent. I like the football you describe, it's how I always understood football, but this Liverpool  these days are not only a great team of Albion, but a WORLD LEVEL TEAM. And to be in the league of CL champions, to try to win it all, you have to move in the same parameters as other teams in terms of quality depth. If you're not in the same parameters, you can try compensate gelling a good team with only world class player or two, with a good manager, and a lot of belief and spirit (Istambul). But if you want to be regularly there... having quality names as long as you make a team out of them helps a lot.

P.S. Not that it's not true that every team has to have workers aswell. But with 2 world class players (Torres, Gerrard) we are a better team than with just one (Gerrard)
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Sabre wrote:Leon: I know where you come from, and I'd agree the first line until a extent. That's a very classic view about football, and the football I've known when I was younger. The football I like, and the football I miss.

But look nowadays mate, Belgium teams are a joke, where as Rapid Viena and Standard Liege meant something in the eighties. PSV teams are beaten as would be Stoke at Anfield.

This English and at a some extent Spanish dominance is directly related to the money, and how we monopolise players in these leagues, so names, count at some extent. I like the football you describe, it's how I always understood football, but this Liverpool  these days are not only a great team of Albion, but a WORLD LEVEL TEAM. And to be in the league of CL champions, to try to win it all, you have to move in the same parameters as other teams in terms of quality depth. If you're not in the same parameters, you can try compensate gelling a good team with only world class player or two, with a good manager, and a lot of belief and spirit (Istambul). But if you want to be regularly there... having quality names as long as you make a team out of them helps a lot.

Quality yes.

Superstars no.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:37 pm

s@int wrote:
Effes wrote:Liege 1 up.... peace everyone :D

Everton are out and its all Liverpools fault..... if we hadn't been "lucky" enough to beat Liege, they wouldn't have been in the UEFA cup.  :D

Of course it's our fault.

Look what happened when the news reached Paris:

:laugh:
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Ah, there, I agree totally. I don't want a Ronaldinho going to the discos at night, I want players who are quality, that hear the legends like when Torres heard to Dalglish, and fully committed. No arguements there.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Sabre wrote:Ah, there, I agree totally. I don't want a Ronaldinho going to the discos at night, I want players who are quality, that hear the legends like when Torres heard to Dalglish, and fully committed. No arguements there.

If your not going to argue then I am taking my ball home.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Not half as much wrong as Stu seems to think IMO!
Yes we have some world class players,some great players,some good and some not so good in our squad,but so do all teams. Riera has added balance to the MF and looks like he can do the job for us well...he's a massive improvement from Babel,thats one better than last season.
Keane and Torres are showing signs of understanding eachothers game more and will trouble every defence they face soon.Simply because they are too good and both have the intelligence to use eachother strengths.Not quite there yet with the two as a pairing but it will come!
As for the we need a RB a R MF..this is true but theres no team in any League in the world that could'nt do with strengthening in a few areas....so we are not alone there!

Anyway Stu..Im sure everyone on the board is well aware of what players you rate and dont rate...where we need to strenghten...whose shi'te and that you still think Pennant is worthy of his place because you've told us enough times its all permanently embedded in our brains we've heard it that much!

Only a fool would say we are the finished article though but the team is going well.No one can argue we are as hard to beat as anyone.
The defence is'nt world class as a unit,but in reality its fuc'king decent and better than most its also protected by one of if not the best MFs in the prem..we wont conceed many!
Last season our biggest loss was not killing teams off when they were playing for the draw due to lack of creativity,we struggled for goals in these matches.Riera will help in this sense because he creates more than Babel and once Keane and Torres get it together I dont think we will have a problem breaking teams that "park the bus".
We are not all that bad off....its certainly not so dire that anyone should start 4 threads in the space of a few weeks complaining about whats WRONG!

For the record Stu clueless means..."totally uninformed about what is going on; not having even a clue from which to infer what is occurring"

IT DOES NOT MEAN EVERY POSTER ON NEWKIT THAT DOES NOT AGREE WITH STU THE RED!!
:D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Get a clue lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Get a clue lad.

Fuc'k off home and take your ball with ye! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 pm

thats a great post number 9 an cant see many disagreeing with what you have said. Things arent 100 % perfect and rosey but there is a lot of good going on at the moment and the results are more positive at the moment and the players seem to be geling together a bit more with better options available on the sidelines should things need to be changed or players rested . Feeling positive about the rest of the season at the moment and hope that doesnt change . If and maybe a big if we keep getting better grinding out the odd result and performing to a higher standard and turn a few more of last years draws into wins and get a few more points of chelsea then think we can be up there in the mix of things when trophies are handed out . If thats a happy clapper attitude who cares . Feeling positive at the moment
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
GYBS wrote:how come a team with so many average cbs have one of the best defensive records over the last 3 years ? !

When did I ever say they were average? You are clearly a wind up merchant and nothing more.

Ahahaha, irony at it's best.

We need a RW, a good mentality, more consistency (no shaky defense moments, and good finishing), and to improve on set pieces. 

We can do with our current defenders, however I wouldn't mind a Boswinga, Evra, Clichy, or Sagna.  Couldn't give a fu.ck for ferdinand  or terry or gallas.
SupitsJonF

Postby Number 9 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 pm

GYBS wrote:thats a great post number 9 an cant see many disagreeing with what you have said. Things arent 100 % perfect and rosey but there is a lot of good going on at the moment and the results are more positive at the moment and the players seem to be geling together a bit more with better options available on the sidelines should things need to be changed or players rested . Feeling positive about the rest of the season at the moment and hope that doesnt change . If and maybe a big if we keep getting better grinding out the odd result and performing to a higher standard and turn a few more of last years draws into wins and get a few more points of chelsea then think we can be up there in the mix of things when trophies are handed out . If thats a happy clapper attitude who cares . Feeling positive at the moment

Its not a happy clappy post its called realism nor is it happy clappy to feel we MAY be up there at the end fella!
To much negative shi'te on here lately and totally uncalled for as well.
To read some of the whinging you would think some were posting about Spurs or Toon ffs!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:18 pm

i think our main problem is in the movement of players rather than individuals simply not being good enough.. sure we have positions we need to figure out ( rightback and right midfielder being top of the list ).
But the main problem i see with the team is the obvious lack of movement especially from our midfielders..
none of our midfielders bar gerrard and babel when he plays seem to pass and look to take up a different position to try and open up defenses or at the very least offer different options upfront...

We'r very predictable at times and like i said earlier, i bet many managers think that if they can stop torres and defend without many mistakes they can snatch a draw playing us or look to grab a win with counterattacks or a setpiece..

defensively we have a great record and its down to rafas tactics and style of play... i tthink the fact that our midfielders work so very hard to break down most attcks before they get to our back 4 has led many to believe that we have a great back4 thats done brilliantly over the years.. take nothing from the defenders but i really think the system we play makes them look way better than they actually are...

- our centerbacks are good.. skrtel seems promising and imo can become a very good centerback for years to come if he can improve on his positioning and awareness ! carragher is very good ... we can do with a top class centerback to partner carragher but with the system we play i wouldnt say its a priority by any means

- fullbacks .. aurelio the pick of the bunch... if he's fit and playing with good players he can be made to look a very good fullback imo.. arbeloa is solid .. nothing more.. if we can get a better player then great.. if not then he'll do for now... fullbacks are becoming more and more important nowadays but still dont think its a position we should be spending much money on !

- right midfielder... we can do with an actual right winger who can actually go past a player or pass a ball..
1st signing we should be making imo and if the money is there come january id be disapointed if we dont spend it on a top quality right winger... dont care if he doesnt play in the CL !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 pm

exactly number 9 mate . Could understand if we were in mid table and struggling in europe and were already a number of points behind the mancs or leaders but we arent ffs . We are up there fighting after best start ever in prem and winning first two games in cl group phase not to mention beating the mancs and bs . Far more positive at the moment .
Last edited by GYBS on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion