Ok ok but why did we lose the mancs game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 116-1105728556 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:58 am

Now that we have all calmed down a bit, why did we lose the game.

Before the game Andy Gray talked about the game was going to be won in mid field and who dominated it.

The Mancs were going to play 4,4, 2 unless they got on top then they would go back to 4, 3, 3. Now did we lose the battle for midfield simply cos SG was off form or was it more than this.

I didn't notice the formations during the game but did notice that LFC were sitting deep in their own half and this was at the begining when they were meant to be on top.

Is it as simple as SG being off form or did we get it tactically wrong as well or was it down to other issues?
116-1105728556

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:50 am

1. They have a more expensive and deep squad than us.
2. They are in excellent form Defensively.
3. They have a manger who has worked at the club for over a decade.
4. We had two debuts in critical positions on the pitch.
5. Finnans injury forced us to alter our defensive tactics, it didnt work as we missed Jamies pace at centre half and Finnans overlap.
6. Dudeks Error.
7. The game came a month too early for Morientes.
8. Somehow Keane pulled a performance of 5 years ago out of the bag against a player who by rights should be finding his way back to form after breaking a toe (Stevie G)
9. It shows how quickly Alonso has become a vital cog in the Midfield, whilst Hamman sitting in front of defence in theor allows Gerrard to get forward he cant because Didi doesnt have the range of passing that Stevie and Alonso has. If you lose Alonso that means Stevie G has to also drop off to switch between breaking and delievring the long passes. This can no longer happen, yes he is an exquisite passer but we need him around their18 yard box where he literally scares the life out of the defenders when he bears down on them.
10. Didi had his one bad game of the season and Riise wasnt on his recent game.
11. Dudek.
12. They had a man sent off which gave them the excuse to just sit on the edge of the box and be tight. We might have changed our way of playing but who would have thought the new fergie to be like the old Graham. Eh, their both ******.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:17 am

We played well until they scored, and we probably would have won had we gone a goal up. 2 debuts in one of the most important games of the season, all the hype around Morientes days before took the shine off this game.
If Finnan and Alonso would have been fit we would have won this one.
Incidently its now 3 years since we last beat them at anfield they are going to be our bogey team bit like us with everton over the years.
Lets hope next season when we have some new players and a fully fit team, we will get revenge and how sweet that would be.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:20 am

Hey Girl.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MOMO » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:24 am

Alonso ,we need you !!!
All of us will bless you , please come back qiuckly! :)
I'm a Chinese girl !!!
I'm glad to meet everyone!!!
MOMO

Postby Alanay » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:26 am

I thought we played very well. But goalkeeping error had cost us a lot (pride, 3 points, CL place pressure, pressure at home etc......). ManU is a good team. But yesterday, we played much better than them.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1105728556 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:46 am

mynameisred & cisses_gona_get_ya

One of the best posts I've read for a long while!

The papers are saying that the game has proved LFC are second rate now which I think they believe is more down to the comittment of the players than anything else.

I guess we all realise deep down that we have to do something at the back but that will take time. Not sure were SG was coming from?

This performance and the strength of the Mancs squad confirms to me that we need money if we are to remain with the big guns.
116-1105728556

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:50 am

turdinator2 wrote:Not sure were SG was coming from?

??? Why whats he been saying now?
Havent read the papers and not buying any either, to see us portrayed as a disgrace, and shrek, plastered on the back again.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1105728556 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:42 am

No he hasn't said anything in the papers more that he clocked up a few simple passes, sent passes that were bullets and difficult to control, had a poor game and bottled a tackle with Keane.

I've read somewhere that he was carrying an injury but not sure
116-1105728556

Postby Redrider » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Posted: Jan. 15 2005,22:03   under Garcia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todays defeat was defined on 1st Jan, when Lampard took out Alonso. The fact that we have lost our playmaker has pulled Gerrard back into a less advanced mid-field role. Thus, today we were overrun in the central mid-field area and spent too much time playing out of our own half. As a result Gerrard had one of his most ineffectual games all season. There was however some comfort to be gained from the new boys, Pellegrino may lack pace, but he is cool and solid when under pressure, knows when to clear a ball and when to play it out. Morientes, when he is match fit, will bring a lot to the front line in terms of direction and leadership. Whoever we play next will feel the backlash of yesterday !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:49 pm

turdinator2 wrote:Now that we have all calmed down a bit, why did we lose the game.

they scored and we didn't. :kungfu:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 109-1105722616 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:00 pm

well in lad, made up you cleared that one up for us
109-1105722616

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:41 pm

I think is about time to bring back tellac because when I see Garcia, sometimes he good but sometimes the way he plays I think my ganny plays better.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby tel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:35 am

Once they scored so cheaply, our heads dropped.

I'm also not a big fan of bringing in a player straight into the team before he's even trained. Are we expecting him to have learnt the team's style without training with them? Not sure what we were expecting from Morientes. He should have come off the bench in the 2nd half when the game was there to be one
tel

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:10 am

I wasnt aware that he was carrying an injury, this explains why he wasnt his usual self.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is a doubt for Tuesday night's FA Cup tie against Burnley due to his groin injury. He had a pain killing injection at the weekend to enable him to face the Mancs but it is unlikely that he'll be risked again so soon.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion