england
5%
scotland
No votes
republic of ireland
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby greenred » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:44 pm

The_Rock wrote:Well GH did get us into the quarter finals (but thommo had a big part to play in it).  But why did liverpool lose the 2nd leg against B.Lever ?

GH made a major blunder by subbing Hamann. If Hamann was still playing we would have beaten B.Lever. Confirm, liverpool would have beaten Manure for the 4th time that season in the semis. And then on to the final against Real Madrid.

Thommo played a big part in getting liverpool into quarter finals. GH played a huge part in getting liverpool knocked out. I might have put it a little harshly, but that is the truth.

That second leg against Bayer Leverkusen was a disgrace.You dont get many chances to play in a CL semi final so Houllier blew it big time.That Hamann substitution reminds me of a similar situation in the 1970 World Cup(bit before my time but I read about it)England were beating Germany two-nil and twenty minutes away from the semi final when Bobby Charlton was taken off.The Germans couldnt believe their luck that Englands best player was gone and went on to win 3-2.That was Englands last match at a World Cup for twelve years.I hope it doesnt take that long for Liverpool to rectify Houlliers mistake.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Diggers Nan, the kind of pressures he never felt at Celtic.

Re-think required here I think.

Have you been to Parkhead for a game, or do you know any Glaswegians, there as nuts as scousers on football, and their previous success, although in weaker scottish league, rivals the reds for leagues won etc...

Dont jump on the Scottish league is ***** bandwagon, they can only beat who is put in front of them.

But the pressure he felt as Celtic boss is similar if not equal to that of Mr Houllier.

I'm not belittling O' Neill's situation at Celtic.

What I'm saying is that he'll have the following pressures at Anfield that he doesn't necessarily have in Scotland:

1. Re-capturing former glory days (Celtic won the league two or three years before O' Neill arrived under Win Jansen. We haven't won it in 14 years and counting).
2. Tough league where there are four teams as good if not better than us (compared to just one in Scotland).
3. Qualifying for the CL every year (even a sock puppet could finish second in charge of Celtic each year and get a qualifying spot).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:54 pm

Hasn't the second qualifying place in SPL only just come into being? I agree with the rest of your comments, though technically there should only be three teams better than us (at the moment) and we should be up there with them not behind them.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:05 pm

I include Newcastle as we are closely matched with them at the moment.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:30 pm

Diggers nan, this is not any grudge, dont take it personally lad.

Who do you think we need to bring in ??

B :cool:
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:06 am

No grudge at all buddy, just explainign myself.

I'm a big fan of MON, always have been, and he's my first choice (he's not perfect but he's as good as anyone available at the moment).

My second choice is Jose Mourinho.

Allerdyce, Toshak, Strachen etc are not candidates in my view: if any of them get the job we are doomed forever.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:43 pm

I don't think O'Neill will now come to Liverpool.  Unless that is the deal has been done a long time ago which is entirely possible.  O'Neill is now a target for a number of clubs which Liverpool are just one off.  The board have not shown any indication thta they are going to make money available to buy world class players.  Chelsea would be a more appealing club for O'Neill but time will tell.  I'd like to pick up on a few other points made here.  Last night I had a discussion with a young 1st division player, you'd all know I'm sure.  We talked about his ambitions and where he saw himself in a few years time.  A life long Liverpool fan he said that Liverpool was not high on his wish list. he reconned Houllier was being shafted by the board and although he had 130 million to spend the player said why not, he won two domestic trphies and a european trophy in ! year.  He reminded me that Both Fergie and Wenger had or have spend a fortune on players who showed potential but never worked out.  Franny Jeffers at Arsenal was one example.  He said that many players had been although to leave the top two clubs and the losses were covered by the board.  Additionally everyone at Arsenal moaned and groaned about the sale of Anelka but Wenger had other players in mind.  The feeling this player reflected was that The ambitions of Liverpool board reflect their current form.  When things are going bad with the elite clubs they boards get the funds to buy in better players.  Houllier has had to buy as cheap as possible and as a result he has bought more players who show potentail tahan going all out for one or two big names.   Now I don't swallow everything this kid said but on the face of it there is some truth.  Houllier wanted Duff but was forced by the board to seek a cheaper player thus we signed Kewell.  Again Houllier indicated that he wanted Anelka yet he bought Diouf and Diao for the same money.  There is also truth in the fact that Liverpool have more players in the squad than most of the other Premiership clubs.  I still don't believe that Houllier is currently the right man for the job, but I have to say talking to this kid opened my eyes up a little I would add he also thinks Houllier needs to move on but his veiw is that the board screwed hi over and never give him the resources that other clubs have given their managers when they brought success.  The season after the three trophies Liverpool started the league on fire a few long term injuries left us without key players at that point it was the time to buy a couple of big names even if it meant breaking the bank.  I have to say I am no wiser about the state of the club but seriously big questions need to be asked.  What is going on.  Maybe someone who knows how to get the hold of that Morgan Guy should ask him!
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:14 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I include Newcastle as we are closely matched with them at the moment.

Shearer carries Newcastle, their defence is cr@p bar Woodgate and the rest of their side is relatively *****. I might take Robert, Bellamy and Woodgate off them, not much else. (Shearer is too old)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:35 pm

Unfortunately I fail to see how we are much better than the Toon, Owzat.  :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:44 pm

we need a right winger...........to be honest we have never replaced McManaman
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:20 am

I picked Liverpool as O'Neills next job not just because I support LFC and would LOVE to see oneill as the next manager i feel he is the best option and is the man for the job.

He wont go to united because fergie isnt getting fired dispite the poor season

He wont go to chelsea because you cant fire ranieri after finnishing second and (maybe) winning the CL.

He wont go to spurs if the liverpool job is offered

He wont go to newcastle because bobby has been given a year extension a few weeks ago.

ONEILL TO LIVERPOOL
PLEASE GOD
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:44 am

QUOTE:
Houllier has had to buy as cheap as possible and as a result he has bought more players who show potentail tahan going all out for one or two big names.

I am afraid I disagree with that statement if you look at his really big buys i.e. heskey for 11m and diouf for 11m.Heskey did well in 1st season but was never a Liverpool player and diouf who was signed as a striker but has never performed either up front or where houllier plays him right wing just to try and give him a game I think.He has made some good signings like Baros Riise and Hyypia combined cost of 11m which was money well spent but yet he refuses to give Baros a good run in the team as that would mean dropping heskey and forcing the team to stop playing the long ball and maybe then we could play some more attractive football.I am afraid houllier seems loath to do this as he also refuses to play with any width in the team which makes it very easy for teams to defend against us.Riise only seems to get a game so he can launch 1 long throw after another which is a shame as in his 1st season looked like the best left back at the club in years.I could also name many other poor buys like biscan diao and smicer combined another 15m.I think he has had more than enough cash which has been wasted on players who have shown little or no improvement since they arrived.I would love to know what they do on the training pitch cuz they look clueless in matches and have done now for a long time.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion