Nunez ready for sunday?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby XSD » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:28 pm

Nunez survived 60 minutes without another injury tonight...
He had quite a good game too it seems.
We are obviously short of options on the right with Josemi and Garcia both out at the moment.

Nunez being fit would be a boost, and although it's hard to expect a lot from him, this Sunday would be a good time for a debut hattrick!  :D

Code: Select all
               Pongolle      Mellor
Kewell       Gerrard          Alonso   Nunez
Riise         Hyypia          Carragher   Finnan
                        Kirkland
Last edited by XSD on Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:03 am

I would be very surprised if Nunez gets to start on Sunday.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:01 am

Benitez will not risk starting Nunez so early, he will start in two weeks. How did he play tonight?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:07 am

Nunez makes a good first impression

• Nunez, who has been on the sidelines since injuring his knee in a training ground incident the day after he signed, emerged unscathed from a 60-minute reserve team run-out against Leeds United in Wakefield.

Playing on the right side of midfield he made a good impression, delivering some telling crosses into the box and almost scoring on one occasion.

Despite lacking match practice the former Real Madrid player looked sharp and, given the injury crisis that is currently engulfing the club, he could well have played himself into contention for a place in the first team squad to face Arsenal on Sunday.

As for the match itself, goalkeeper Paul Harrison was the Reds hero as Robbie Foy struck a late equaliser to force a 1-1 draw for Hughie McAuley's side.

---------------
Perphaps Nunez will make a bigger impact than we all thought and expected.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:14 am

After the recent doom and gloom on the injuries front it's encouraging to see Nunez taking a step closer to match fitness. I agree with SS and don't think he wil start on Sunday but may figure in the second half..........

Saw someone placing Gerard at right midfield in his preferred Midfield line up for Sunday's game . Thats not a  bad idea as it affords you a place for the more defensive Hamann and Alonso side by side as we will need to be solid in the middle.

My mind goes back to a couple of seasons back when Arsenal came to Anfield and tore us apart in the first half only for the Reds to storm back and take a point with a 2-2 draw...........

How many times have we gone into big games with a  scratch team and come away with a result. I hope for a repeat on Sunday but would take a draw now .....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:03 am

Is Nunez ready for Sunday?
Start him on the bench and send him on if needed. A big game like this is a good stage for a hero!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:50 am

crazyhorse wrote:Is Nunez ready for Sunday?
Start him on the bench and send him on if needed. A big game like this is a good stage for a hero!!

Here's a tip, read what other have posted before you.

I've said this 10,000 times today, Nunez is not going to start against Arsenal. Why? Benitez will not take the risk of starting him early. He will start in two weeks.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:51 am

Dalglish wrote:After the recent doom and gloom on the injuries front it's encouraging to see Nunez taking a step closer to match fitness. I agree with SS and don't think he wil start on Sunday but may figure in the second half..........

Saw someone placing Gerard at right midfield in his preferred Midfield line up for Sunday's game . Thats not a  bad idea as it affords you a place for the more defensive Hamann and Alonso side by side as we will need to be solid in the middle.

My mind goes back to a couple of seasons back when Arsenal came to Anfield and tore us apart in the first half only for the Reds to storm back and take a point with a 2-2 draw...........

How many times have we gone into big games with a  scratch team and come away with a result. I hope for a repeat on Sunday but would take a draw now .....

My mind goes back to '94, Robbie Fowler hat-trick to get us a 3-0 win over Arsenal at Anfield.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby liverpool_4_life » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:03 am

played well tonight i herd, and he wasnt at real madrid for nothing he must be a half decent player and atm we need all the players we can get, so this is very good news!
liverpool_4_life

Postby laza » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:27 am

Good to see him come through unscathed and impressing the coach.
But yeah far too early for him to be starting after such a long lay off. Looking good in a reserve fixture is one thing, looking good against Arsenal is another
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:25 am

A.B. wrote:
Dalglish wrote:After the recent doom and gloom on the injuries front it's encouraging to see Nunez taking a step closer to match fitness. I agree with SS and don't think he wil start on Sunday but may figure in the second half..........

My mind goes back to '94, Robbie Fowler hat-trick to get us a 3-0 win over Arsenal at Anfield.

But you suppoted Real madrid then?  ??? How could you remember?  ???
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:54 am

A.B. wrote:I've said this 10,000 times today, Nunez is not going to start against Arsenal. Why? Benitez will not take the risk of starting him early. He will start in two weeks.

AB you take yourself way too seriously. So ****** what if you said it "10,000 times". Just because you said it, it does not make it so.

What do you do for a living again? Muppet was it?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:28 pm

The word in the Daily Post, is that he is on the bench.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:35 pm

If we beat Arsenal today it will not be like before. This is the first time in a while we have been without ANY proven goalscorers.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:59 pm

Beating Arsenal is certainly not impossible despite the injury crisis.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion