Nunez. - I know its early but........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:01 pm

"Give him time" "Remember Pires" "knee-jerk reactions" etc etc. Just thought I'd save everyone the trouble of posting up the old chestnuts. My opinion? Don't think he'll cut it the Premiership anytime soon. Not necessarily never, but anytime soon, no.
Hold a gun to my head? (and I know theres plenty who'd like to   :D ) I don't think he'll do the biz in England.
Too early to say? Maybe for you but not me. Thats my opinion until the lad proves me wrong.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:28 pm

ok, so from now on every player to emerge is ****** untill they prove you otherwise.

I'll say he's good untill he proves me otherwise. Doesn't make a difference does it?
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Macca » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:09 pm

thats good of you to say about him after hes been injured and only played 3 games
Macca

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:28 pm

Apart from 'Blind Faith' support.
Has anyone seen anything in Nunez that say's yes, he has a skill, that we need, can't wait until he is fit and doing the business etc. ?
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:57 pm

Thats good of me to say that about him? Well that sort of explains the topic title doesn't it? I know its early but etc etc etc. I'm merely giving my opinion. If its rubbish then fine it wouldn't be the first time. FWIW I hope it is and Nunez turns out to be a worldbeater. No need to trawl through the old posts to remind me, I'll remember I said it and gladly eat humble pie.
I just don't see it, sorry. Out of interest, has anybody got real faith that he is gonna be a good player for us? See, slag the opinion all you like, but not the right to have one in the first place. That's sort of the whole point of pointless forums isn't it if you get what I mean?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Fair enough Mick. While I hate to judge players too early it is entirely possible that Nunez could experience a difficult and disjointed season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:43 pm

Could be JBG that having being injured for a while when first getting here, the poor sod is now burdened with unrealistic expectation. I know I for one was dying to see him play. Just hasn't shown anything to me so far at all. Normally a good player will just show a flash of something, a flick an instant control, a measured lay-off, some extra-awareness. Jeez if truth be known we all think we can spot it, that little something. I know I think I can but in his case, if its there he's certainly keeping it well hidden.
In direct contrast, though he's lightwieght I think Garcia will prove to be a fabulous signing for us. In him I saw ir from day one. He'll come good and do the biz for us, I'm absolutely certain. Nunez? not so sure. What's your early impressions anyone?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:57 pm

Some say first impressions last, but hopefully Nunez will come good.

The law of averages dictate that one or two of Benitez' signings won't work out, although "its too early yet" for me to pass judgement on Antonio.  :D

Your point Mick about the weight of expectation is very apt, Mick.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:07 am

bit of a lose lose situation here for you with that prediction
You either be wrong and end up needing a big spoon for that humble pie or else you be right which means the squad has another square wheel and it will make the Owen transfer even more of a gut wrenching rip off
Most likely i expect Nunez will end up being a servicable squad player neither a flop or a star
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:42 am

FFS how can people start judging the lad, he's come on for 25 mins as a sub into a fast paced Arsenal game started one game and people are starting to put posts up like this *Paul shakes his head*

Please lock this post and reopen it in 2-3 months :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:12 am

OK Paul I'll not say another word on the subject until you give me the nod and let me know its OK to have an opinion. Just so I know, are we talking ten games, twenty or two seasons.
See this is the crux. Is having an opinion disloyalty, or the right of every fan?  We've had all this tosh before. Please don't FFS me, if its too early for you you to form an opinion then OK. If you think its too early for anyone to form a realistic opinion, then thats OK too, just don't comment on what they put up. Dismiss it in your head as the knee-jerk ramblings of a fool. But you can't deny anybody the right to form that opinion surely? Or to post it up? I'm not advocating giving Antonio a hard time, I'm sure he's a smashing lad and a good player in his own right. I'm merely saying that based on what I've seen sofar, I'm not holding my breath on him being a top player for us. If you disagree and think he's gonna move a mountain, then say so! That's what forums are for! But please, don't say to me "well I haven't got an opinion to tell you the truth, it's too early for me to realistically form one based on what I've seen. Oh and by the way, I'd prefer it if you'd wait until I've had time to make a judgement before you post up your view." The reason I ask you not to do that is that is patently a ludicrous stance to take and you are better than that.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:22 am

It is to early to judge him as he hasnt had a full game and just come back from a long injury, but if he is a failure its no ones fault as no one went to Real and said we want Nunez he was forced on us with the Owen deal, its a bit of a strange situation really, to have an Ex Real madrid player forced on to you backed in a corner so to speak take him or leave him in the deal or you get nothing.
Im not to sure but I dont think we have ever been in this situation before as to have a player in our team that no one really knows anything about and how good or bad he is.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:28 am

Interesting point that Lynds. Did rafa actually want him or was he foisted off onto us. Also, did we take over his contract in full or are Madrid still paying part of it?
All of this of course is fluff and conjecture. I think he'll start tonight and I really hope he stuffs it all down my throat and has a blinder. Could be that the European style will be more to his liking than the hurly-burly of the Premiership, who knows? Just wish someone would come on here and say, 'hang on did you see the way that he etc etc' which would make me think that I've called it wrong. Hopefully he'll show up tonight.
One thing I will say is that if Rafa really rates him and he wasn't just a makewieght then chances are I'll be sticking the old humble pie in the oven before too long.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:32 am

I think the deal is they can take him back when they want not to sure so dont quote me but im sure thats what happened in his contract, No rafa wanted Morientes and they and he said no, I dont think he was Rafas choice I think the lad was forced on us.
So if that is the case no one can do anything about it, if he performs or not, bit of a shambles really isnt it :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:35 am

So what your saying Lynds is that we didn't get 8 million plus Nunez for Owen, we got 8 mill and we can borrow Nunez for a bit presumeably on the assumption that if he works out there'll be a fee of some sort involved? If I'm not being stupid and that is what you mean then it is a bit of a shambles yes.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion