Nunez - Early impressions?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:31 am

Yes I know it's still early people and the guy has barely been here 5 minutes but I was just wandering what your initial impressions are of him from what you have seen so far. Take into account that so far he's played:

20 mins Arsenal- league
70 mins Spurs- cup
45 mins Villa- league
90 mins Olympiakos- CL
24 mins Everton- league
90 mins Portsmouth- league
15 mins Newcastle- league
90 mins West Brom- league
22 mins Southampton- league
60 mins Chelsea- league

Thats only 5 starts in total, only 3 in the PL. His first couple of games, he was learning the english league and had to get used to the physical side. I wouldn't even say he's settled in yet but he's making some decent runs, has a superb touch (just watch him bring those 40 yrd balls down from Stevie/Xabi), is not afraid to take defenders on, and gets crosses in. If we had someone like Morientes in the middle the last few games, he'd have got his head to a few and Nunez would be being hailed as the next rafa hero! 

By the same token, he is himself a great header of the ball- does very well in the box winning headers. It took a handball against West Brom to stop him getting on the score sheet, and another today. Did he not also have a shot saved for Mellor's goal against Olympiakos? He's not the new ryan giggs, but don't write him off... he's causing problems and getting in the right places.

Most importantly he gives us better balance and provides an outlet. When Garcia plays out there he doesn't keep his shape, spends half of his time drifting all over the pitch and consequently everything ends up going down the left hand side.

I think you'll agree that the early signs are encouraging. But as they say, I'll hold my overall judgement to the end of the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:22 am

I think we were making it pretty easy for the chelsea leftback by only focuing on glen johnson. This way nunez was taken out of the game.....

Really have to wait on nunez. I guess he will play from the start againt norwich. Thats where we can gauge him.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:47 am

I think he will be a good squad player but nothing more and nothing less.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby whylongball? » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:57 am

A.B. wrote:I think he will be a good squad player but nothing more and nothing less.

currently he looks like what u say but given time he may be able to push up another gear which makes him more than what  u think  :D
whylongball?

Postby L-type » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:04 am

I think he has some potential. He could have easily had 3 or 4 goals already, only denied by a second goalie clearing off the line and several flying saves made by keepers.  I'm gonna say that you'll regret judging him this early.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Djiin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:11 am

have been good in those crossing but soft in tackling! thats all
Djiin

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:24 am

I think its clear that Nunez is an average player but theres still time for him to improve his level of performance. Maybe we can get some kind of return from him in the long term.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:38 am

The lad shows signs of being a good player but weather that is as a squad player only time will tell, I would like him to talk to the lads a bit more but maybe that will come when he gets to know the team better :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:54 am

For me he looks OK. As good as Giggs or Renaldo or Robben or Duff? don't be silly. Ljundberg? nah. Pires?nope. Now let's get sensible. Simon Davis? nope. Ray parlour? yes probably. Vladimir Smicer? maybe but probably not.
All that said, he is a better header of a ball than all of the above strangely, and it is early days. He is improving and it would be fair to assume that the pace and ferocity of the English game is going to take him time to get used to. If he could get to the level of say a Davis, then we would have a good player. Alas, the Ljundbergs and Duffs of this world will be forever dots on the horizon for him I feel.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:03 pm

stmichael wrote:I wouldn't even say he's settled in yet but he's making some decent runs, has a superb touch (just watch him bring those 40 yrd balls down from Stevie/Xabi), is not afraid to take defenders on, and gets crosses in.

I wasn't initially impressed by Nunez but he has slowly got better and has begun to display some good skill, as St Mick has pointed out his ability to effortlessly bring down those long passes take on his man and put in a good cross is becoming more and more apparent. I for one am happy (if not excited) with his contribution so far.
I think in fairness to all our players who are new to the premiership we should  until the end of this season before we decide if they are good enough for LFC.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:29 pm

have to say i'm excited about the potential of nunez. the first 2 or 3 times i saw him i was concerned - he seemed really lightweight, tried too much and lost the ball almost every time.

but recently he's adapting his game quickly. he's still a bit lightweight sometimes but he's showing less reluctance to get stuck in. this physical side will take longer than the adaptation of the pace of his game. his running on and off the ball are improving rapdily and some of his delivery is great. its also great to see we have a player who can make those late arrivals iin the box and get a good header in. he WILL score goals like this.

i'm a fan of nunez - or at least - a fan of what i'm convinced he's going to become. its an overused statement but remember henry's first season in english football?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:52 pm

At first i wasn't overly impressed but as times gone by you can see he has potential and will improve.

6 or 7 goal a season man and a very solid player maybe even a quality player next season.

Unlike bigmick i don't rate Ljungberg as a fantastic player. He's just a good quality one. He wouldn't improve Liverpool's side much in my opinion.

Luis Garcia is a second striker. Thats it. Thats where he plays. He's no midfielder, end of story. His confidence is ruined at the minute aswell. He'll get it back given time.

Nunez has excellent technique, he seems decent in the air and good pace. He can also cross a ball. I said at first i thought he would be nothing more than a decent squad player but he's improving every game and to me he's starting to look like he has ALOT of unfulfilled potential even at this stage of his career.

He's nowhere near settled yet either and i think next season if Kewell can maintain the improvement before the injury a midfield four with Kewell, Alonso, Gerrard and Nunez can be one of the strongest midfields in europe.

And no more of this Gerrard in a free role ******. Gerrard is a central midfield player. Thats where he should play. End of.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:04 pm

here in spain they describe luis garcia as "como una gamba - todo bueno aparte de la cabeza"
or in english - "like a prawn - all good apart from the head".

i know this isn't a garcia thread but stu's comments reminded me.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:59 pm

andy_g wrote:here in spain they describe luis garcia as "como una gamba - todo bueno aparte de la cabeza"
or in english - "like a prawn - all good apart from the head".

i know this isn't a garcia thread but stu's comments reminded me.

Needs to come out of his shell a bit though. :D

As for Nunez, some fair comments here, and from people who go the game regularly, so I'll bow to your judgement as you've seen more of him, and live. I've seen a lot of our games on Sky lately, and from what I've seen of Nunez I'm with Big Mick on this one. i'll be surprised if he ever gets beyond a useful squad player. He's very orthodox and a bit stiff, but his first touch is good, he's potent in the air, and I like his attitude - he's not scared to get stuck in. Think even at this early stage that he lacks pace though.

Just wonder, on balance, what people make of Rafa's 3 signings so far. Alonso is class, but think the other two may be bit-part players next season.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1104673748 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:38 pm

4 signings to be exact.Remember Josemi.I've seen too little of Nunez.Maybe next season(maybe he'll be backup like Smicer or a regular like his fellow Spaniards)
116-1104673748

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion