Nolan coming to anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 20, 2005 10:35 pm

how do people know nolan wont be a revelation at liverpool, a lot of the posters must think that the likes of graeme souness and ray kennedy ran around with sandwich boards on for boro and arsenal with world class written on them. if the internet would have existed back then people would be posting graeme who? we need proven world class players etc.
some players move into certain set ups and just look totally different players. signing nolan would be a risk, but i think we need a few players with a bit of bite, and seeing how nolan out `robbie savaged` robbie savage in their meeting this season i`d rather throw him on in physical away matches than biscan etc. its a fact of life in the english game that a lot of sides get stuck into the so called bigger teams because the rough stuff levels out the playing field. at the moment we aren`t set up to counter this.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 20, 2005 10:39 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:how do people know nolan wont be a revelation at liverpool,

how do people know Diao,Cheyrou and Diouf wont be a revelation at liverpool?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 20, 2005 10:39 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:To be honest the only thing i remember about kevin nolan woz his hilarious own goal against boro last season. on van der vaart he is top class and would want him in my team.

van der vaart has been touted as the next best thing to sliced bread for years but not one of europe`s so called bigger sides has touched him with a barge pole, that should start anyone with a bit of common sense`s radar bleeping.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:how do people know nolan wont be a revelation at liverpool,

because unlike kevin nolan i`ve had the misfortune of watching them play in a red shirt and yes, i must admit a few phrases did spring to mind to describe their performances but alas, revelation wasn`t one of them.

yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 20, 2005 10:46 pm

I just think we have enough average squad players, we should spend our money on players who can come straight into the first team and improve it, is Nolan really better than Hamann and Biscan?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri May 20, 2005 10:50 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I know most of you would be against it. But the fact is, he's a red and he's a scouser. Now i don't care what any of you foreign lot say, or any "oot's" say, if you're from the city, you understand the club more, its in your blood, your more proud...

Simple as that.

When someone at a match sings songs about scousers, who do u think it effects more? Gerrard and Carragher, or Sami and Luis Garcia?

It would fire the local lads up more. Thats occassionally what we lack, a bit of pride, determination and heart. Scousers that play for us show that in every game.

Stu I don't think that all ooters are clueless about the local passion, I'm an ooter but me and my sister are the only 'non-scousers' in the family and I feel more scouse than 'wooleyback' as I basically grew up in Liverpool, I don't just love LFC but the city as well, I had a tatoo of a Liverbird on my back with out the club crest because it sybolises my love for the city and not just the club

I like VDV and think he would we a good signing but comparing him to Nolan is a little unfair cos he is very much a continental player where Nolan is a scouser are will fight for the shirt.

P.S I'm not starting an ooter arguement but just putting my opinion across.
Last edited by Paul C on Fri May 20, 2005 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 20, 2005 11:10 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I just think we have enough average squad players, we should spend our money on players who can come straight into the first team and improve it, is Nolan really better than Hamann and Biscan?

we`ll just have to agree to disagree on this one, but i think bigmick or someone makes a good analagy about who you would rather have in your side on a cold wet december midweek game when you`re two down and the other team are getting stuck into you. i know who i`d rather have.

yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sat May 21, 2005 12:21 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:I just think we have enough average squad players, we should spend our money on players who can come straight into the first team and improve it, is Nolan really better than Hamann and Biscan?

we`ll just have to agree to disagree on this one, but i think bigmick or someone makes a good analagy about who you would rather have in your side on a cold wet december midweek game when you`re two down and the other team are getting stuck into you. i know who i`d rather have.

Argeed, thats what he'd bring, the lad would spill blood for the club and thats what we need.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat May 21, 2005 7:49 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:

nice ones.  :buttrock
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat May 21, 2005 10:40 am

Nolan is better than the average squad players we have.
I agree that we want to sign players that will come straight into the team, but we also need to improve the general quality of the squad.
The back-up players are just not upto it...that imo is the reason for some of the shocking away performances.
Also if he was to go as part of the Diouf deal then no money will of been wasted...so its not really a gamble.
To answer the question, Nolan is better than Biscan, Hamann is probably better than Nolan...BUT 31 and maybe on his way.
Why not bring in a young player with potential who will at least give 100 % every week ??

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sat May 21, 2005 10:49 am

Actually cool hand luke i liked diao and cheyrou they were good players.Diao had the strengh to knock players off the ball.Cheryou on the other hand was fast and good at getting back for us.Isn't Diao injured now after he had been at loan at Birmangham
joependo

Postby thegreedo » Sat May 21, 2005 11:02 am

joependo wrote:Actually cool hand luke i liked diao and cheyrou they were good players.

I've just lost all respect for your opinion!! :wwww

All jokes aside, I'm not overly enamoured at the thought of signing Nolan but anybody who was at the palace away game would have seen we are desperately short of cover in midfield. So Nolan would be far from the worse signing in the world in terms of providing essentially needed cover.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat May 21, 2005 11:06 am

Actually I've been giving this "class player" thing a bit of thought and I've come to the conclusion that I've been calling it all wrong. Those who've said we must buy only "world-class" players are right on the money. Just to show that I've finally seen the light I've compiled a little shopping list of players we should go out and buy, tomorrow.
  Goalkeeper-as the Highlander once said, "there can BE, only one." Buffon. I reckon 30 million or so transfer and 100k a week wages should secure his services.
  Central defender-I've always rated Nesta but currently John Terry looks a good bet. Chelsea probably need a few quid so offer 'em 50 mill and see if that gets their juices racing.
  Midfielder- purely as squad men obviously, Vierra and Ballack. 50 million the pair.
  Striker-lets not mess about with anybody who is unproven. Ashton, Earnshaw, Kite? ??? pah, Henri and Shevchenko. 50 million each.
  Wide men-Duff and Robben'll do for me. 30 million each should do the trick.

God knows how much that lot'll come to but I think you'll agree that'll make us a match for anybody. Whatever it costs, it's not that much in Turkish Lira and at least we know they're all class players. I can only apologise for my stupidity in the past for suggesting that on one or two occasions we buy a player for less than 20 million quid. Let's just buy PROVEN superstars from now on. I'm all for it.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat May 21, 2005 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sat May 21, 2005 11:10 am

The Greedo was you talkin to me
joependo

Postby thegreedo » Sat May 21, 2005 11:15 am

joependo wrote:The Greedo was you talkin to me

Sorry pal, couldn't resist! :buttrock

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion