No place for liverpool, says uefa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby xd3vilx » Thu May 26, 2005 12:49 pm

LONDON, England -- European football governing body UEFA on Thursday resisted calls for Liverpool to be granted a place in next season's Champions League following their dramatic European Cup final triumph.

Liverpool battled back from a 3-0 halftime deficit to draw 3-3 with AC Milan after extra time, and then beat their Italian opponents on penalties in Istanbul on Wednesday.

But Liverpool face missing the chance to defend their title after failing to finish among the top four in the English Premier League.

UEFA spokesman William Gaillard said that Liverpool could only be admitted to the competition at the expense of another English team.

But the English Football Association has already said that Liverpool's city rivals Everton, who finished fourth, would keep their place in next season's competition.

"The rules are what they are," Gaillard told BBC radio, who said that a precedent had been set in 2000 when the Spanish football association allowed Real Madrid to defend their European title at the expense of qualifiers Real Zaragoza.

"They were used already once when Real Madrid won and were not among the qualifiers in the Spanish League. It is a tough decision to make but it is not for us to make, it is for the FA and they told us Everton would be the fourth English club."

Gaillard also told Sky Sports that he didn't expect Liverpool to play in next season's Champions League.

But UK sports minister Richard Caborn claimed on Thursday that it would be "a travesty" if Liverpool were not allowed to defend their title and said he had urged UEFA to re-consider their position.

Caborn told the UK's Press Association: "I have raised the matter with UEFA's chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson and said it would be a travesty if Liverpool were not allowed to play in next year's competition, particularly after such an amazing final.

"They should re-think this issue and I think they will have to. Nothing is set in stone and it seems only right that the winners should have automatic re-entry rather than having to qualify through the domestic system. It is only common sense.

"Brian Barwick (FA chief executive) and Geoff Thompson (FA chairman) were also there last night and they also expressed similar views."

Liverpool's manager Rafael Benitez said it would be "unbelievable" if his side were not allowed to defend their trophy, while chief executive Rick Parry claimed "the world would want to see us have the opportunity to defend it after that."

:sniffle  :sniffle
Last edited by xd3vilx on Thu May 26, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:54 pm

I saw this clown gaillard on sky sports news earlier.

He is a nobody, the decision has nothing to do with him.

F**k it, if they don't let us in then whoever wins it next year will have a hollow victory.  To be the champions you have to beat the champions!!!!

Honestly though i don't think they will change the rules for us as this has already happened with zaragoza and real madrid

Its the FA who have shot themselves in the foot, they will only have 3 teams in the group stage as I really don't think everton will get past the qualifier.  Then we'll knock them out of the uefa as well!!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu May 26, 2005 1:08 pm

Probably do us no harm not been in it. We've won it, lets forget it fro next season, concentrate on winning the league and then we'll be back in it the year after.

Fk Uefa or whoever makes the desicions, we aint got room in the cabinet for another one just yet, give the carpenters time to build us another trophey cabinet too.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby merge » Thu May 26, 2005 1:12 pm

Liverpool must attend to CL. Some members of UEFA says Liverpool is MUST. Liverpool can attend instead of Fenerbahce (it is really bad team) , so UK can have 5 team in CL.:cool:
merge

Postby taff » Thu May 26, 2005 1:16 pm

How I see it is:

If we dont play in it next year how will the winners feel knowing they didnt knock us out or beat a team that did. 

There will be demands from all the top teams and UEFA have to recognise this,

Even the Mancs, imagine they win but we werent in it.  If that was us ok CL great but your biggest rivals not in cos of a technicality I would be distraught.

If we dont make it the competition next year is devalued and left with a bitter taste and who wants to win a competition like that.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banburyred » Thu May 26, 2005 1:19 pm

League and UEFA cup double sounds OK.  Gerrard, Alonso, Morientes and Carra will rip teams to pieces in the UEFA Cup and it might help our league form.  Stuff UEFA if they don't want the Champions in their own competition.  It will downgrade it and whoever wins it can't say they took it off anybody.  It will be a monumental balls up by UEFA but are we surprised?
banburyred

Postby laza » Thu May 26, 2005 1:26 pm

The team which has been part of two of most entertaining European Cup finals in last 4 years. The team whose rich history and unique fans which have given this premier competition the best advertistment for the game and they wont let us play. Why so they can have another all Italian dour affair...........their loss
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:27 pm

taff wrote:How I see it is:

If we dont play in it next year how will the winners feel knowing they didnt knock us out or beat a team that did. 

There will be demands from all the top teams and UEFA have to recognise this,

Even the Mancs, imagine they win but we werent in it.  If that was us ok CL great but your biggest rivals not in cos of a technicality I would be distraught.

If we dont make it the competition next year is devalued and left with a bitter taste and who wants to win a competition like that.

Do you really think the winners of next years CL will give a flying fu(k if we weren't in it, so they could beat us!  I really don't think so!  Do you think we would care if Porto weren't allowed to defend their title this year - I really don't think so!!!

The history books will only state that we beat AC Milan in the final, not who we or they beat up to then.  Or who was eliminated at the group stage or qualifiers.

Nobody will care that Liverpool are not in it next year, apart from Liverpool FC
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolThroughAndThrough » Thu May 26, 2005 1:29 pm

I think the champions of europe should be able tyo defend it and bring back another cup! this time the new champions league one
Born a Red, Live a Red, Die a Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

European champions 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LiverpoolThroughAndThrough

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:43 pm

Remember, it'll all come down to politics.  The Europeans hate the English, so we'll have to wait and see.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alvin98 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:44 pm

can anyone create a online petition for all liverpool fans around the world to sign & submitted to UEFA. Better still if can put it in the official liverpool FC site.
alvin98

Postby volkanaslan » Thu May 26, 2005 3:12 pm

ASLA BUYUK TAKIM OLAMADINIZ, ASLADA BUYUK TAKIM OLAMAYACAKSINIZ   :angry:
volkanaslan

Postby volkanaslan » Thu May 26, 2005 3:18 pm

allahin beziktaslilari
volkanaslan

Postby volkanaslan » Thu May 26, 2005 3:20 pm

tüpcüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüü
volkanaslan

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:26 pm

That Welsh side (TNS) appears to be willing to do us a favour anyway.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion