No late transfer window buys for liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 pm

From TIA:

For the fourth transfer window in succession, Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez was given a sell-to-buy policy, and in this case a sell-to-not-buy policy.

Just like last summer, the Reds boss recouped more money on player sales than he was allowed to spend on purchases. In fact, his only signing arrived on a free transfer.

The final day of the winter window saw little action across the country, although reports did link Liverpool with right-back Vasilis Torosidis and attacking midfielder Arda Turan. Neither materialised, leaving Maxi Rodriguez as the only addition to the playing squad.

Earlier in January we saw the much maligned duo of Andriy Voronin and Andrea Dossena depart for Dynamo Moscow and Napoli, bringing in £1.8m and £3.4m respectively.

While Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun were both linked with moves away from Anfield, thankfully neither materialsed as Liverpool enter a tough month with fixtures against Everton, Arsenal and Man City ahead.

One bit of business that did take place somewhat bizarrely on deadline day was the sale of highly-rated youngster Christopher Butchmann. He left for Fulham in a deal worth £10,000. The German has been tipped to become a star by many, including UEFA’s Top 10 Stars for the Future last year. He was promoted from the academy to Melwood last summer but had since been dropped back down to the under 18’s squad.

Meanwhile, a trio of loan deals were extended. Nathan Eccleston did enough on his debut to have his month loan at Huddersfield extended to the end of the season. The academy forward scored the Terriers winner on his debut on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis had his loan to Accrington Stanley extended to the end of the season, and fellow keeper David Martin’s stay at League One Leeds United has been extended for another week. Martin has yet to start a league game for the Yorkshire side, being an unused sub on 10 occasions. Bouzanis has enjoyed a more successful time at Stanley, making 10 appearances so far.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 pm

£10,000? That must be a mistake. Thought 100k was cheap, hope there is a buy back or atleast a sell on clause.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Well I'm glad we didn't bring in a right back. Kelly is playing for the reserves tonight and he should be given a chance over the next few months to prove he can be relied upon.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Well I'm glad we didn't bring in a right back. Kelly is playing for the reserves tonight and he should be given a chance over the next few months to prove he can be relied upon.

Totaly agree 100/%
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:34 am

I don't know what you all were expecting to happen tonight but the summer will be a different story. Rafa will ship out the remaining deadwood and bring in a few more players, we just need to steady the ship until then. It will probably do us well to hang onto Babel anyway as he might be worth a bit more if he has a good world cup.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 am

bavlondon wrote:I don't know what you all were expecting to happen tonight but the summer will be a different story. Rafa will ship out the remaining deadwood and bring in a few more players, we just need to steady the ship until then. It will probably do us well to hang onto Babel anyway as he might be worth a bit more if he has a good world cup.

Is this the deadwood that he brought in?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 am

bavlondon wrote:I don't know what you all were expecting to happen tonight but the summer will be a different story. Rafa will ship out the remaining deadwood and bring in a few more players, we just need to steady the ship until then. It will probably do us well to hang onto Babel anyway as he might be worth a bit more if he has a good world cup.

An i think it will be Babel out to Galatersary an Arda in , found out today his girlfriend lives in England :;):
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:35 am

NANNY RED wrote:

An i think it will be Babel out to Galatersary an Arda in , found out today his girlfriend lives in England :;):

'Winky winky I'm in the know' but nothing ever comes to fruition.  :laugh:
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby paisleyred » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 am

NANNY RED wrote:

dont tell john terry about his girlfriend.
he will be trying to hump her leg.
paisleyred

Postby made in UK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 am

paisleyred wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:

dont tell john terry about his girlfriend.
he will be trying to hump her leg.

:D
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 am

NANNY RED wrote:Have we bought anyone, :(

What a good bit of buissness though by Harry eh, according to all the media and spurs fans, Robbie Keane i have always supported Celtic, an Liverpool an Spurs, an Leeds an Inter an anyone else who wants me, :laugh:

Puts cold water on what some were saying about Keane being mistreated by Rafa last year. Every manager cannot be wrong as he never stays anywhere for too long. When we sold him last year (and some were crying "doom n' gloom) we went on an incredible run. Not only was he average but was probably disruptive in the squad. To think of all the abuse that Rafa got last year for the handling of Keane...  :no  (and most of those have since fecked off  :)  )
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 am

kazza wrote:

What a good bit of buissness though by Harry eh, according to all the media and spurs fans, Robbie Keane i have always supported Celtic, an Liverpool an Spurs, an Leeds an Inter an anyone else who wants me, :laugh:

Puts cold water on what some were saying about Keane being mistreated by Rafa last year. Every manager cannot be wrong as he never stays anywhere for too long. When we sold him last year (and some were crying "doom n' gloom) we went on an incredible run. Not only was he average but was probably disruptive in the squad. To think of all the abuse that Rafa got last year for the handling of Keane...  :no  (and most of those have since fecked off  :)  )

Well if thats the case Rafa should of done his homework on him, instead of forking out 20M. Maybe if he'd of brought the right character in, that bloke could be doing a job for us RIGHT NOW!
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 am

made in UK wrote:Well if thats the case Rafa should of done his homework on him, instead of forking out 20M. Maybe if he'd of brought the right character in, that bloke could be doing a job for us RIGHT NOW!

Fair enough but if the rumours were true (seems more likely now since Parry was also shown the door) and Rafa never wanted him, then you can understand why he cut him off so quickly. Big question is where did that money go, because Rafa never spent it.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 am

made in UK wrote:
kazza wrote:

Well if thats the case Rafa should of done his homework on him, instead of forking out 20M. Maybe if he'd of brought the right character in, that bloke could be doing a job for us RIGHT NOW!

Bit harsh on Keane re never staying anywhere for long, he spent six seasons at spudz before Rafa decided to buy him.

But it is very true it was an ill-considered move, I was not the only one concerned about us paying £20.3m for a player just turned 28 and never worth that much, and amazingly some on here still talk as if the reason Keane failed was down to his "treatment". He simply wasn't good enough for what we paid, his attitude may have been shaped by how much/little playing time he got, but he joined the club and should have accepted he wouldn't necessarily be numero uno. Considering he didn't score until his 11th game, he started nine of the first 11 games of 08/09 and racked up 22 lots of 60+ minutes in only 28 appearances in scoring seven goals. Sure it was questionable leaving him out after scoring both his braces, but Liverpool scored FIVE against Newcastle after one such omission and the other occaision was a League Cup match when changes are made by the nature of our approach to that competition.

Crouch made 36 apps in his last season, 21 of those were 60+ mins and yet he notched up 11 goals - although he did get more 90 mins than Keane, they chalked up roughly the same number of mins on the pitch (Keane 1801, Crouch 1989)

Perhaps we simply didn't look hard enough for frees, loans and bargains. Or perhaps the owners have told Rafa he isn't getting any money until 4th is secured, why give the manager money to spend/waste if he is likely on his bike in the summer?!? I'm not sure our squad is strong enough as is, but maybe if we hadn't ballsed up this time last year we might have had the title and Alonso might have stayed. I suppose there's no point regretting him leaving, but it is an interesting question - if we'd been champions would people have been (as) happy to sell Alonso for £30m? We claim prize assets should never be sold, yet Alonso was a key player and clubs don't pay £30m for no reason
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:47 am

I guess we will never know who actually decided to bring Keane to Liverpool but if it was Parry then its probably the first time anyone but the manager has recruited a player at the club.Given the fact that Benitez has a very very ordinary record in the transfer market (and thats being generous), I would edge toward him as being the culprit, and when it went wrong he lay the blame at someone elses door (which hes the master of). Either way Keane appears to have gone quickly down the pan following his move to us from Spurs and the same can be said for his former strike partner Berbatov who has done nothing in Manchester.As for funds being made available you couldnt blame the owners for being cautious even if they had the money given that Rafas two big summer signings have not made any serious impact or improved the team for an outlay of almost £40m.You can look toward departures and make excuses but the bottom line is Benitez is highly paid to manage the team and make it work using the clubs resources and frankly has failed to do that. Keane, Babel,Acquilani,Johnson...I could go on but none of these lads have improved the team and there is only one man responsible for that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion