Next season. - It's already started.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Thu May 24, 2007 1:00 pm

bavlondon wrote:i would have thought Gareth Bale would be a good signing seeing as he could fit on the left but it looks like Spurs have snapped him up.

Eh?  ???

Linky mate.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:03 pm

bavlondon wrote:i would have thought Gareth Bale would be a good signing seeing as he could fit on the left but it looks like Spurs have snapped him up.

Thats why we need to move very quickly, like Rafa said.
I think we need to change the way we operate a little, and start throwing our considerable weight around, we have to start highjacking deals, and strong arm clubs into selling players to us. The club imho has acted in the past as though it is a little embaressed about how BIG we really are. Eg Istanbul, what advantages did we take form that?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:03 pm

can't argue with anything you've said there big mick.

as you said our season starts now, and rafa needs to bring in at least a few "top bracket" players in as soon as possible ready for pre-season.

we need a solid start to the season, whoever it may be against. only a win is good enough, we can't be chasing the leaders from the word "go".

IF we don't bring in "top bracket" quality over the summer, then its looks like we'll be settling for another decent run in one of the other cup competitions. which is not good enough for this football club.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 24, 2007 1:04 pm

gareth bale

Its here Rafa
account deleted by request

Postby Rafa D » Thu May 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Gutted but at least one of the big clubs didn't get him. Good talented youngster.

Spurs are quite a dab hand at bringing in the youngsters. They stole Lennon at £1m, brought in Defoe and Carrick from West Ham, Dawson from Forrest.

Buy young british talent, it works.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Gutted but at least one of the big clubs didn't get him. Good talented youngster.

Spurs are quite a dab hand at bringing in the youngsters. They stole Lennon at £1m, brought in Defoe and Carrick from West Ham, Dawson from Forrest.

in what way does it work?  ???
tottenham finished 5th this season and 5th last season if i remember correctly. 2 places lower than we were.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Thu May 24, 2007 1:17 pm

redtrader74 wrote:PS, our first priority is to tie down Mascherano to a real contract, not the loan deal he is currently on. As far as i am concerned he has proven himself fit for our club.

i really hope we agreed a fee when we took him on loan as otherwise his price is going to be sky-high now!!

it's a strange one because on the main site it doesn't state that he's on loan but indicates we signed him.

From .tv
"Argentinian international Javier Mascherano joined Liverpool in January 2007 after the Premier League approved his transfer from West Ham.

The 22-year-old Argentinian international becomes the most high-profile of the Reds' transfer window signings and will offer Benitez more options in the centre of midfield."
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 1:17 pm

I agree all Bigmick's post except in our traditional disagreement about rotation. (Perhaps he didn't mean that by "the strongest team" point, if so, sorry)

IMHO, Pako ayestaran's interview is a good insight on how they plan to rotate next season. And I link it because it might be relevant to explain why we didn't win the league in the past, and why we'll be contenders next season. When you have a deep enough quality squad, and by quality I don't mean Sissoko precisely, then rotation is not a problem.

Next season, when we rest Alonso, we'll have Mascherano, not Sissoko. That's depth quality. I expect new signings, removing the deadwood, and all that Bigmick has explained, but I'm still a rotation defender. :p Because it helps to put the strongest team everytime when you have the proper players.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu May 24, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:20 pm

tommycockles wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:PS, our first priority is to tie down Mascherano to a real contract, not the loan deal he is currently on. As far as i am concerned he has proven himself fit for our club.

i really hope we agreed a fee when we took him on loan as otherwise his price is going to be sky-high now!!

it's a strange one because on the main site it doesn't state that he's on loan but indicates we signed him.

From .tv
"Argentinian international Javier Mascherano joined Liverpool in January 2007 after the Premier League approved his transfer from West Ham.

The 22-year-old Argentinian international becomes the most high-profile of the Reds' transfer window signings and will offer Benitez more options in the centre of midfield."

yes, it says we "signed" him.
he was "signed" on loan.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 pm

s@int wrote:gareth bale

Its here Rafa

yeah- that story was from yesterday although on skysports Southampton are denying it.

Saints deny spurs bid

Southampton have denied reports suggesting Tottenham have agreed a deal for prodigious left-back Gareth Bale.

Spurs are long-term admirers of the 17-year-old Welshman, who is highly sought after by much of the Premiership.

Manchester United, in particular, have been mooted as a possible destination for Bale, but Spurs were claimed to have made the first, decisive move.

Bale is still short of 50 appearances for Saints but has consistently caught the eye, not least with his prowess from a dead ball, and at 16 years and 315 days became the youngest player to represent Wales against Trinidad & Tobago last May.

Reports this week suggested Saints have become resigned to Bale's exit after missing out on promotion to the Premiership via the play-offs.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Agree with points raised big mac daddy..(eh...bigmick).. I forsee the next one to be harder...Spurs look to moving up into the next level. Same with Aston Villa. I think these teams would do well next season. So it is imperative that we start the next season well.

We have to get another striker...Hope rafa's signs the type of striker we are craving out for 1st...before strengthening the other positions in the team.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Thu May 24, 2007 1:23 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Gutted but at least one of the big clubs didn't get him. Good talented youngster.

tottenham finished 5th this season and 5th last season if i remember correctly. 2 places lower than we were.

Lennon whats he worth now?

Carrick bought for £2.5m sold rising up to £18m

Dawson, England international.

Defoe, England international.

Buying good english talent works.

You looking for an argument when there isn't one.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
passmeistro_#14 wrote:

Lennon whats he worth now?

Carrick bought for £2.5m sold rising up to £18m

Dawson, England international.

Defoe, England international.

Buying good english talent works.

You looking for an argument when there isn't one.

Firstly i just want to know what did you mean by it "works" by buying young british talent ?

Yes, Lennon is very much likely worth more. how does this help tottenham's title ambitions what so ever?

Carrick was sold for more than he was bought for, yes. Again, how is it helping tottenham by selling one of their best players to opposition above them?

Defoe, England International.....so are the likes of Kieran Richardson, Luke Young, Phillip Neville, Darius Vassell and Trevor Sinclair,etc. Impressed? I'm certainly not.

Dawson, England International....his had a call up, but he hasn't even played a full 90 minutes for England yet!

so, i do believe i have somewhat of a decent arguement.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Thu May 24, 2007 1:45 pm

The Good - Fowler, Crouch, Kuyt, Alonso, Garcia, Reina, Mascherano, Sissoko
The Bad - Pellegrino, Nunez, Kromkamp, Gonzalez, Zenden, Morientes, Bellamy
The dunno yet - Aurelio, Arbeloa, Pennant(?)

Thats how i see his signings so far....im sure ive missed some out(only doing 1st teamers), but the point is i hope that now Rafa has big money to spend he will spend it well, otherwise we will be making big losses....but im sure when it comes to his first choice players they will be successful, as opposed to a 2nd choice which he was unsure about in some way....hopefully.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Thu May 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Agree with Rafa-dodd that it's essential that we don't sell our central mid-field. Any of it! For me, it possibly the strongest in the world at the moment, and to take it down would be going backwards and be a grave mistake.

I seriously hope that wholesale changes are NOT made to the team in general. I feel that major surgery isn't needed. We really arn't that far behind as people think. We've proved it in big games, and when we've failed, it's because of two areas that have been problematic all season: the left wing and our forwards.

To start cutting the team apart and replace players could be more damaging than good. It's not about quantity, but quality; not just quality, but practicallity. We need the right players for our problem possitions. I'd say we just need four quality signings to make the first team, with maybe two of them added to make the squad deeper. The team is starting to gel. Why unsettle it with mass changes?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion