New manager syndrome

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tim LFC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Thats true, but i'm sure Roy would let Lucas roam further up the field. If we're attacking he should join in, we just shouldn't loose the ball against better teams as they will counter attack but against easier oppositions Lucas should be aloud to roam forward even if in CDM. But we really don't need a CDM for easier teams. :p
Tim LFC

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Can't we make a collective new seasons resolution that we won't deny the blindingly, glaringly obvious until we're blue in the face? If we all just admitted stuff that was so fecking obvious it's not worth talking about, it would save a lot of arguments.

The criticism of Lucas isn't "unreal", simply because he hasn't shown so far that he's good enough to consistently play for a team of Liverpools stature. Yes he has shown flashes, yes he's consistent, yes he's a trier, no doubt he's a nice lad, yes he doesn't give the ball away very often, yes the formation didn't really suit him last season etc etc. I missed out he's young and all that. But last season, the Lucas/Masherano axis was THE MAIN REASON IMHO why we underachieved.

Now there's definately a chance for the lad (who incidently I quite like attitude wise) to make it EITHER as a sole holder if Masherano is sold (that is my main preference for him), or he may make it as a more attacking box to box type. Personally I think this is less likely as he hasn't got the tools, he hasn't got the pace/skill/vision/shooting ability/range of pass etc etc to excell at that role, or at least if he has he hasn't shown it yet. Even Aquilani who I remain to be convinced by has fairly obviously got considerably more guns to play with in terms of what he can potentially do.

No, for me he (Lucas) is more likley to make it as a win it and give it holder. I hope he does, but this incredulous disbelief when people point out that based on what we've seen so far he isn't up to it just amazes me. We can all see it surely?

Like I say, by all means give the fella a chance this season and lets see what he's got. Hopefully we haven't already seen it, otherwise he isn't good enough. In this respect he is much like Ryan Babel.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:17 pm

What are you guys smoking? If Lucas were to be in the starting line up, he should be CDM. He offers NOTHING going forward. He is too slow and not decisive enough. He is half descent as a holding/ defensive midfielder, otherwise he shouldn't be starting. If Masherano stays, he shouldn't be starting. On the other hand I have high hopes for aquilani this coming season, I believe he will be like a new signing for us...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Frame that first bit Magus, I'll re-read it to make sure but I think we actually agree on something there.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:42 pm

I think posters and indeed fans will always be divided on the subject of Lucas (The deserved winner of the Young player of the season )
that much is a given and its not about to alter .... The lad had one of his best seasons and it relatively went unnoticed by some fans ,its also glaringly apparent to me that its fashionable to dislike Lucas, and in doing so completely ignore his contribution in the earlier games last season when without him we would have been dead and buried if we had relied solely on the non existent tackling of Gerrard and Co ....
but that's ok I never was one for following the pack ....sooner draw my own conclusions by watching the Lad play and albeit from Reina there were many underachievers that warranted our scorn more than this boy
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Red, there's no scorn involved. It is simply a statement of opinion bordering on fact (I think it's a fact as plain on the nose on your face but I accept it is actually an opinion) that based on what we have currently seen, he isn't good enough. Hopefully once Masherano goes, he can step it up and really become a good player. He's a mile away from that right now though mate, that's all I'm saying.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:56 pm

If we Keep our star players, i think we will surprise a lot of people.because we will not go down the cautious road. I think we WILL be a lot more positive.if you look at what Hodgson done at fulham you have to be excited.my glass is half full
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Scottbot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:07 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I would be very comfortable in arguing the case for Murphy with anyone  ??? Murphy in his time with the Reds was profligate in the extreme sense of the word ,in fact he was the most frustrating player we ever had ,at times Danny could be elegant and decisive whilst playing with real poise ...and on the flip side of the coin  he could be recklessly wasteful ??? 
its such a shame it was  the latter which held the most anxiety for the Kop ???
as for Lucas well I for one was thankful for his inclusion early  in a season that failed to throw up any candidates for merit
Lucas simply played the game the way he was told to and performed it admirably ... however where Aquilani is concerned we simply didn't get to see enough of his obvious ability through the lack of games played

I'm not really suggesting buying Danny Murphy but I am suggesting he had a better season than Lucas and Aquilani.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:20 pm

bigmick wrote:Red, there's no scorn involved. It is simply a statement of opinion bordering on fact (I think it's a fact as plain on the nose on your face but I accept it is actually an opinion) that based on what we have currently seen, he isn't good enough. Hopefully once Masherano goes, he can step it up and really become a good player. He's a mile away from that right now though mate, that's all I'm saying.

What facts are those Michael the facts formulated by certain fans ???   or the opta stats that show Lucas was a more than competent exponent of the art of the tackle and for that matter the pass ...
Its simple you said it yourself mate a fact cannot be formed on an opinion it has no basis .. a fact is something" set in stone ", it really gets a mention because it has already been established ,but when there exists two schools of thought then there will always be grounds for debate  ....
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Scottbot wrote:I'm not really suggesting buying Danny Murphy but I am suggesting he had a better season than Lucas and Aquilani.

I am not implying you wanted him Scott ,simply mentioning that in  my years  in the Kop ...my blood pressure suffered enough with Mr Murphy's constant frittering away  of possession ..... that's all
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Joeblackisachimp » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Hello.

You will see from Roy's alleged "big" signings what exactly we have got to deal with.

Im expecting at least one player to exit, whether Mascha, gerrard, torres etc to go.

Bit worrying at roy's press conference when asked by the press how much money he had to spend! his reply.."well, I don't know if theres going to be any cash to spend" !?  :Oo:

You would think that would be the first thing that a potential LFC manager would ask at their  Job interview!! and probably what Rafa was discussing to determine whether to stay or not.....

I just hope that the chief Executive of LFC told Mr. Hodgson at his interview that 4th place was a MINIMUM Requirement next season.

And surely any LFC fan will be asking for Roy's head should we not qualify for the CL again??

Welcome to the couldron of Expectation Roy!
Joeblackisachimp

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Joeblackisachimp wrote:And surely any LFC fan will be asking for Roy's head should we not qualify for the CL again??

Obviously. Because any manager who can't jump 3 places in one season is sh!t. This applies even if he hasn't got any money to spend and some of his best players are likely to be sold from under his nose. If he doesn't get at least fourth and win two cups, he should be out on his ear.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:47 pm

bigmick wrote:Obviously. Because any manager who can't jump 3 places in one season is sh!t. This applies even if he hasn't got any money to spend and some of his best players are likely to be sold from under his nose. If he doesn't get at least fourth and win two cups, he should be out on his ear.

Truth be told Michael I would be satisfied if the season started and finished with Liverpool playing the kind of pass and move simple  football that was regularly associated with the Liverpool teams of the past ..... if that happens regardless of where we finish then it will show me the roots of hope mate, and that's enough for this old romantic
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Me too Red, if we can improve from where he took over, both in terms of finishing position and in terms of the football we offer up, then I think you've got to give to give the guy a bit of credit and kudos. I actually live in hope that we may surprise a few people (including ourselves) and dramatically improve, but to say if he doesn't get fourth "any LFC fan will be asking for Roys head" is silly talk.

Now Man City are up there, getting in the top four isn't the relative shoo in it used to be, whoever is the manager and however money he's got to spend. Given our circumstances, such achievements ought to be what we hope for and not we demand.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:19 pm

bigmick wrote:Me too Red, if we can improve from where he took over, both in terms of finishing position and in terms of the football we offer up, then I think you've got to give to give the guy a bit of credit and kudos. I actually live in hope that we may surprise a few people (including ourselves) and dramatically improve, but to say if he doesn't get fourth "any LFC fan will be asking for Roys head" is silly talk.

Now Man City are up there, getting in the top four isn't the relative shoo in it used to be, whoever is the manager and however money he's got to spend. Given our circumstances, such achievements ought to be what we hope for and not we demand.

Liverpool fans will know instinctively if this is the man to carry on the mantle Mick .. over the course of a  season you  either develop an  affinity with the manager or you don't  but if Roy has the team playing with style then he will win more friends than enemies mate and that's regardless if we make 4th or not ... Hope springs eternal
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion