New management structure

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Perhaps it is too early for this discussion, but in all the debates about who the next manager should or shouldn't be, I'm surprised that more hasn't been made about the apparent direction the club is heading in regarding our management structure.

I don't think I've directly read anything about it, but from what I've apparently picked up by osmosis is that the plan is for something like this:

CEO
                              _______|______
                             |                       |   
                           DOF              DO Something Else (with Commolli's role split in two)
       ____________|_____________
      |                    |                      |
Manager         Academy            Scouting
1st team
reserves

My questions are:

1. Does anyone actually know what the plan really is? Especially, what are the two roles Commolli's role is being split into?
2. How do people feel about the DOF, not the Manager, being the real power if that is indeed the plan? I know it is common in some parts of the world. I know "it doesn't work in England". What I don't understand is why that is, and whether it has to be that way.

It seems to me that understanding this is key to understanding what is going on with the search for Kenny's replacement...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 pm

not sure what the structure is or will be.
from the media reports it seems to be something like that alright and maybe it would explain why so many are'nt interested.
the only thing ill say is the cost of hiring that lot wont leave much to spend on a manager or players.if it doesnt work either then it will end up costing a fortune to get rid of them too.
they would be better off putting that money into the team rather than the background.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue May 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Current football management = Zero people
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 22, 2012 5:47 pm

yeah i wouldnt get too attached to it, if they bring in a martinez or AVB it will be going the same way the radical new management structure we had when comoli was in charge.
this time next year we`ll probably have 3 DoF`s and our 5th manager in 3 years.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedSi35 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm

@prweekuknews: Liverpool FC PR manager Craig Evans latest to leave club

And another, can the last person out if the club, turnoff the lights
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 pm

All I've heard, and this is from articles posted on the forums, is that the owners intend to bring in a "football management committee" to work alongside the manager so that he can focus all his efforts on coaching the team.

Now, other than including a DOF, I have no f'uckin' idea who else that involves, or what necessarily makes it a better management structure than having the chief exec work closesly with the manager, who also has his coaching, scouting, and medical teams assisting him in the day-to-day management of the team. One possibility is that the chief exec's commercial responsibilities have grown to the extent that it would better serve the club's needs if some of his responsibilities -- for player contracts, signings and what not -- were delegated to a Director of Football, and others. But is it really that much of a responsibility that a whole new layer of management needs to be created to deal with it? I don't see it myself.

The risk is that we complicate things too much, stray from the tried and tested and end up having too many cooks spoil the broth.
LFC2007

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 pm

LFC2007 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm wrote:All I've heard, and this is from articles posted on the forums, is that the owners intend to bring in a "football management committee" to work alongside the manager so that he can focus all his efforts on coaching the team.

Now, other than including a DOF, I have no f'uckin' idea who else that involves, or what necessarily makes it a better management structure than having the chief exec work closesly with the manager, who also has his coaching, scouting, and medical teams assisting him in the day-to-day management of the team. One possibility is that the chief exec's commercial responsibilities have grown to the extent that it would better serve the club's needs if some of his responsibilities -- for player contracts, signings and what not -- were delegated to a Director of Football, and others. But is it really that much of a responsibility that a whole new layer of management needs to be created to deal with it? I don't see it myself.

The risk is that we complicate things too much, stray from the tried and tested and end up having too many cooks spoil the broth.

this is the modern answer to everything, just throw teams of managers and consultants at every problem.
national government, local government, the civil service and the nhs etc are all overrun by hordes of middle management. this club will be the same soon, they`ll be doing risk assessments and having forward planning meetings and they`ll appoint a project manager and a liason officer to talk to the new mayor next time they have to change a lightbulb in the ticket office.
FSG arent football people so they listen to consultancy firms and all that malarky.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:38 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 pm wrote:this club will be the same soon, they`ll be doing risk assessments and having forward planning meetings and they`ll appoint a project manager and a liason officer to talk to the new mayor next time they have to change a lightbulb in the ticket office.

The way forward :buttrock
LFC2007

Postby Redman in wales » Tue May 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Fenway Sports Group's marketing director Billy Hogan is set to be appointed commercial director at #LFC, Bloomberg reports
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 pm wrote:
LFC2007 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm wrote:All I've heard, and this is from articles posted on the forums, is that the owners intend to bring in a "football management committee" to work alongside the manager so that he can focus all his efforts on coaching the team.

this is the modern answer to everything, just throw teams of managers and consultants at every problem.
national government, local government, the civil service and the nhs etc are all overrun by hordes of middle management. this club will be the same soon, they`ll be doing risk assessments and having forward planning meetings and they`ll appoint a project manager and a liason officer to talk to the new mayor next time they have to change a lightbulb in the ticket office.
FSG arent football people so they listen to consultancy firms and all that malarky.

:laugh:
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:19 pm

LFC structure OFFICAl:

FSG
                                        |
                                        |
                                        |

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Kenny Kan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:19 pm wrote:LFC structure OFFICAl:

FSG
                                        |
                                        |
                                        |

:laugh:

The problem is it isn't far from the truth
Benny The Noon

Postby Redman in wales » Tue May 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Louis van Gaal in line for a senior managerial position at Liverpool

Louis van Gaal is in line for a senior managerial role at Liverpool. The Dutchman was linked with a move to Liverpool in the wake of Damien Comolli's dismissal as director of football in April. However, while it has since been decided to change the management structure at Liverpool, Van Gaal has remained under consideration for a revised role and is the leading contender to become the club's first sporting director.

He is understood to be keen on a move to Merseyside and his appointment could herald the arrival of several new faces at Anfield, including the successor to Kenny Dalglish. The club are also set to name Billy Hogan, currently the managing director of Fenway Sports Group, as the club's new commercial director. FSG are conducting an extensive search for a manager since sacking Dalglish last week and their ideal criteria of a young coach with title-winning experience would fit alongside a sporting director of Van Gaal's experience and expertise. That plan led to approaches for Jürgen Klopp of Borussia Dortmund and Ajax's Frank de Boer, both of whom declined the opportunity to meet John W Henry and Tom Werner, Liverpool's principal owner and chairman respectively, and to interest in the former Porto and Chelsea manager, André Villas‑Boas.

Villas-Boas and Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic are among several candidates for the Liverpool manager's post and whoever is chosen will, it seems, have to accept working with Van Gaal, who has won league titles with Ajax, Barcelona, AZ Alkmaar and Bayern Munich, plus the Champions League with Ajax in 1995.

The 60-year-old was due to return to Ajax in a director's capacity this year until a legal challenge from long-time adversary Johann Cruyff derailed the move. His last managerial role was at Bayern, who he led to the Bundesliga title and the Champions League final in 2010 before being sacked in April 2011. Van Gaal's work with Ajax and Barcelona undoubtedly appeals to Liverpool's owners as they conduct an overhaul at Anfield and look to imprint a playing philosophy throughout every level of the club. That strengthens his claims for the proposed sporting director role at Liverpool, although Van Gaal has not yet called time on his managerial career and was linked with PSV Eindhoven before their recent appointment of Dick Advocaat.

FSG's method of replacing Dalglish has attracted criticism due to the number of rejections it has prompted. Brendan Rodgers was the first to decline the offer of an interview but it is understood the Swansea City manager would not reject an offer of the job if it was forthcoming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/22/louis-van-gaal-liverpool
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 pm

i`ve heard that van gaal is a loon, he runs the club like the army or something.
all the players have to dress in club suits for dinner and no one can start eating before everyone is in place and all that type of malarky.
if he gets the job expect to see an exodus of players out of the club, these millionaires these days arent going to put up with ***** like that for long.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 pm wrote:i`ve heard that van gaal is a loon, he runs the club like the army or something.
all the players have to dress in club suits for dinner and no one can start eating before everyone is in place and all that type of malarky.
if he gets the job expect to see an exodus of players out of the club, these millionaires these days arent going to put up with ***** like that for long.

would he seriously have that kind of control?
i think he could be good for the club in some capacity but i have heard similar stuff about him before' but id find it unbelievable if he was given that kind of control here.i think the owners know little about football but i bet they know overpaid sports professionals and what they would put up with.
no manager even martinez would accept that kind of influence.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion