New defender

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:35 pm

mmm... to name a few who probably would make realistic targets :

- andrea barzagli (palermo and italy international)

-nicolas burdisso (intermilan and argentina international) with Samuel,Materazzi,Cordoba and now Chivu all preferred to the versatile argentine..seems like a very realistic target and dont think inter would reject if the price os rite

-coloccini (deportivo are shiiite and seem to be short on cash and players...decent player and would do well in england)

-sergio (zaragoza...similar to val.ismael of bayern...strong and would make good backup)

-heitinga (ajax and holland.... brilliant prospect and at 22 or 23 or so is already one of the most established defenders in europe)

english players id ave to say.... steven taylor *newcastle wont sell but brilliant prospect) -pogatetz would be another realistic target

dont think we have any chance of getting richards or campbell... dont think we need to either... decent backup would do the job and someone like heitinga or barzagli could even step on to become 1st choice...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:50 pm

We need someone with Premiership experience who will accept a 1 year deal and accept that he is 4th choice when everyone is fit, not too many candidates to be honest.

Maybe we should stick with Carragher, Agger, Hyypia and Hobbs.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Rafa hints at defender move

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has admitted he could be forced into the transfer market to bolster his defensive options.

Reds stalwart Jamie Carragher faces a spell on the sidelines after breaking a rib in Saturday's 2-0 win at Sunderland.

Carragher has been ruled out Tuesday's UEFA Champions League qualifier with Toulouse and it is not known how long the former England international will be sidelined for.

Sami Hyypia is expected to play against Toulouse despite suffering a broken nose on Wearside.

With Gabriel Paletta having left Anfield to join Boca Juniors, Benitez is short of options at the back and he could make a late foray into the transfer market to bring in a new defender as cover.

"We are thinking about finding more players and maybe we will have to look at this situation again," admitted Benitez

SKY SPORTS

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:01 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:We need someone with Premiership experience who will accept a 1 year deal and accept that he is 4th choice when everyone is fit, not too many candidates to be honest.

Maybe we should stick with Carragher, Agger, Hyypia and Hobbs.

Give one of the youngsters a chance, bit risky but might just find the next Carra that way. We have to start giving the emerging academy players more of a chance, we've won the FA Youth Cup the last 2 years ffs, so there must be some good players there!!
heimdall

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Red Dotty wrote:John Terry could cover till JC gets back we should be able to get him as he would want a big club

Although When JC gets back he may find he spends time fighting for a position on the bench :help

HAHA!!!

Realistically though, I think Rafa will find someone abroad. Sol Cambell is the only realistic person I can think of that would be good enough, and he wants regular football I think.
Graeme Noble

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Red Dotty wrote:John Terry could cover till JC gets back we should be able to get him as he would want a big club

Although When JC gets back he may find he spends time fighting for a position on the bench :help

HAHA!!!

Realistically though, I think Rafa will find someone abroad. Sol Cambell is the only realistic person I can think of that would be good enough, and he wants regular football I think.
Graeme Noble

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:32 pm

That Samba fella who plays for Blackburn would be worth a tap up dirty big yard dog grock that kept Andy Johnson in his back pocket for 90 mins, got pace, and can score goals.,
Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:43 pm

Monster him. Bit agricultural though for Liverpool.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:46 pm

red37 wrote:Monster him. Bit agricultural though for Liverpool.

He'd be handy is the domestic cup comps and away to the gunners though Red, worth a bid I cant think of any one else, Cambell wont leave Pompey and I think we need someone who is already in the prem.
And not another Pellegrino.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Ciggy wrote:
red37 wrote:Monster him. Bit agricultural though for Liverpool.

He'd be handy is the domestic cup comps and away to the gunners though Red, worth a bid I cant think of any one else, Cambell wont leave Pompey and I think we need someone who is already in the prem.
And not another Pellegrino.

I think they love the bones of the lad at Ewood. Hughes wouldn't let him go (tbh he'd be a fool to).

What do you think of my shout for Scharner?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:08 pm

from the EPL

1) radhi jaidi
2) emanuel pogatetz
3) frank simek
4) anton ferdinand
5) justin hoyte
6) chris riggot
7) martin laursen

outside england
1) bruno alves
2) brede hangeland
3) andre barzagli
4) nicolas burdisso
5) cris
6) vincent kompany

worse comes to worse we can bring back igor biscan on free transfer.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Rafa D » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:26 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:from the EPL

1) radhi jaidi
2) emanuel pogatetz
3) frank simek
4) anton ferdinand
5) justin hoyte
6) chris riggot
7) martin laursen

outside england
1) bruno alves
2) brede hangeland
3) andre barzagli
4) nicolas burdisso
5) cris
6) vincent kompany

You play far too much Football Manager.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:from the EPL

1) radhi jaidi
2) emanuel pogatetz
3) frank simek
4) anton ferdinand
5) justin hoyte
6) chris riggot
7) martin laursen

outside england
1) bruno alves
2) brede hangeland
3) andre barzagli
4) nicolas burdisso
5) cris
6) vincent kompany

You play far too much Football Manager.

actually ive not played it since 2 years back cuz something about it seems to crash my comp and give it problems.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:31 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:
The very fact that Heinze wanted to join us suggests he has balls, and suggests that he really wants to play football. His persistence suggests he has a great attitude. He's not to know that a move to us should not happen, it happens in Spain, Italy, France and Germany.

It suggests he has no loyalty.

He wasn't going to get a guaranteed spot here and would had been fighting for a position just like was in Manchester.

As much as football has changed through out the years and we've changed as a club through those times, some traditions should not be thrown away just like that. Especially for a player like Heinze who has been over evaluated,under performing and injury prone.

Edit-] I made a mistake, I misread your statement regarding the dealings between rival clubs in Europe. [Original post contained a list of players who have moved between rival clubs in Italy and in Spain]

As I said, I will say it again, the issue of his ability is not the issue we are discussing, we've had two threads devoted to that already. The issue is the matter of timing, assuming in Rafa's position and most people's opinions that he is a more than worthwhile signing.

The crux of your argument is that because heplayed for the mancs we should never even have considered signing him, news to you, many people are not of that opinion and I concur with them, ever heard of "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face"?

I could care less how many threads you've had regarding Heinze. I was not involved in any of those discussions nor was I present at the time to have read them. In general I could care less.

If you bothered reading my posts properly, you would had realized that being a United player is not the crux of my argument. It's one of the reasons we shouldn't had shown interest, and the other is the fact that he's no where as good as he once was.

Rafa is a great manager and I've defended him on various occasions, but that doesn't mean his judgment is spot on regarding every player.

I'm not one of the people who were for the signing of Heinze. There was a vast amount of people who were against the signing of a United captain-armband wearing player.

I hate to repeat myself, so you can re-read my posts once more if you need to.

If we end up with no new central defenders, it will be Rafa's fault and no one else's. He had enough time to bring 2 back ups let alone one.

It suggests he is a player devoted to playing football, he would have been fighting for his place here, just like he would have to do at any club in the world like any other player. Nobody is 'guaranteed' a spot.

The crux of your argument is that he was a United player and that he is not good enough, that is a dead end argument, and is not the original point which was about timing.

If you want to discuss his ability do it in a Heinze thread and don't try and turn this one into a Heinze bashing exercise.

I have read your posts and all they do is assassinate the player's character without justification and dismiss his ability as 'p!ss poor'. The ability I can accept we disagree, the character assassination is unacceptable and you are only deluding yourself in order to prove your point.

The point you make implying that I'm defending Rafa irrespective of the situation is utter sh!te, he does make mistakes and this scenario is not one where he has.

It's your opinion that Heinze is not good enough but it's taken up until now for you to fully diverge away from the original point which was about timing.

If you had said straight away that your underlying point was that you didn't feel he was good enough, then it would have saved the drivel about how sh!t you think he is and how disloyal he is. The fact is, the original point was about timing and you have now managed to turn it fully away from that and back to a debate about his ability.

Just like your point about Rooney and Ronaldo had no foundation, so do all your other subsequent posts.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion