Related links
Team Pages:
Liverpool
West Ham United
Player Pages:
Peter Crouch
Xabi Alonso
Javier Mascherano
Rafa Benitez admits Fifa's rules would not dissuade him from bidding for Javier Mascherano, although he refused to confirm he wanted to sign the midfielder.

Mascherano is desperate to leave West Ham United after struggling to settle since arriving at Upton Park from Corinthians in August.

Juventus have dropped their interest in the Argentine and he has been strongly linked with a move to Liverpool.

Fifa rules prevent a player turning out for more than two clubs between a period of 1st July and 30th June.

Reds boss Benitez is not put off by the regulations, but was reluctant to commit himself to an interest in Mascherano.

"There are a lot of similar situations with players who have played for three clubs in the same season, and in some cases four, so I think it is not a problem," said Benitez.

"We are watching good players and we want to find someone who can add more balance, but at this moment we are focusing on the next game and we are not talking about players.

"I don't like to talk about those names and rumours in the press."

Benitez also reiterated his stance that Liverpool duo Peter Crouch and Xabi Alonso are not for sale.

Crouch has been linked with Newcastle and Juventus, while Alonso has been tipped to return to Spain.

"This is clear, we don't want to sell Peter Crouch," said Benitez.

"He (Alonso) has a contract and we are happy with him. He's happy with the club, it was simply a rumour, nothing serious."
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool4Life » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:11 pm

I don't think we need Javier, he isnt that special a player.
December 26 2004
All South African people taken by the tsunami
R.I.P
Liverpool4Life

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:30 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stmichael wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:Fifa rules state that one footballer cannot play for more than two clubs between 1 July and the end of the following June - and Mascherano has already turned out for Brazilian side Corinthians and West Ham since last summer.

Yeah but surely he's only played for one team during this campaign?

The South American season ended on December 31, 2005, before Mascherano joined West Ham in the summer of 2006.

to be honest, i don't fully understand the ruling....but its reported he cannot go until June because he's played for 2 clubs in 1 season?

i think he may have played for Corinthians after the league finsished - cup games or friendlies or whatever. if he hadnt then there wouldnt be an issue.

but on trying to find out i stumbled upon this written by a brazilian on a west ham site:
Tevez did play very well in 2005. He was arguably one of the best players ever to wear Corinthians' jersey. I am very thankful for what he did for us. In 2006 it was clear he wanted to leave the team. He would travel to Argentina whenever he wanted and played only in the games he felt like playing. He played enough to be called to the national team and play the World Cup.
As far as Mascherano goes, he is an average player. He is a bit overrated, but I think he had a different character. Leaving without notice really ruined his reputation worldwide, I believe.
That's argentinian's for you. They think they are the best and think that they are above the law.
Don't be surprised if they leave WHU by the end of the season or even before that.... This may sound like I am crying, but I am not. Ever since they left, Corinthians has lost only one game in 10 played and left the relegation zone. Now we are in the hunt for a spot in the Libertadores Cup. Tevez and Mascherano were the "cancer" on our team if you will.
They were fighting with teammates during practice, had their own hours and did whatever they wanted. This is just warning for you guys for what may be coming your way.

----------------

and as he hasnt stated for west ham recently... and other clubs are turning noses up.... i've got the feeling he's abit of a c0ck with maybe a diouf/anelka/cisse attitude

Id ignore that...a bitter brazilian who slags off two argentinian players who "left" a sinking ship......
There was war in argentina when they went to brazil as the brazilian league is regarded as inferior than the argentine league...both players were expected to go to Europe
I say wait and see...and anyway if he is brought in on loan then Liverpool cant loose....
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby Liverpool4Life » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:48 am

Neill is the kinda player we miss at the back. Carra is very good but he isn't aggressive enough. Neill will be a fine addition to our squad. Javier is decent not good enough for 1st team in my opinion.
December 26 2004
All South African people taken by the tsunami
R.I.P
Liverpool4Life

Postby MASTER » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:21 pm

If we get Mascherano and Neill our formation could be alternated week by week.
But this is for next season I think because of the way our squad is building but Fowler will be gone (probably retired),Crouch has to go because he just wants liverpool to play to his strenghts and there are not that many of them anyway, and there are rumours about Bellamy leaving plus Kuyt wastes too many chances so he can be no more than a squad player and Benitez hates Djibril Cisse which means Liverpool need 3 new strikers now I say break the bank for Villa bring in Darren Bent and Yakubu who are proven at premiership level and would cost a maximum £25m combined; Villa would cost £30m.

Then we need to replace Pennant with a winger who can beat a man, now I know on these boards Arjen Robben is like the plague but if Jose leaves he would be perfect for us as he can play both sides has a great left foot and on his day his better than Ronaldo at Man U then we should send Gonzalez on loan and bring in Morten Gamst Pedersen from Blackburn and he can compete with Garcia on the left flank with Risse.
Also we should sell Aurelio and Kewell because they are too prone to bad injuries.

Then we would have Lucas Neill to cover all positions in the back 4, JC and Agger in the centre then 2 from 3 (Finnan, Risse and Neill) for the Left-Back slot and the Right-Back slot.

Then in midfield Mascherano could play with Gerrard, or Alonso could with with Sissoko with Gerrard on the inside Right position.
Then Rotate the 4 strikers throughout the season (Kuyt, Villa, Yakubu and Darren Bent) with Robben and Pedersen on the wide positions.
MASTER

Postby mattylfc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:56 pm

MASTER wrote:If we get Mascherano and Neill our formation could be alternated week by week.
But this is for next season I think because of the way our squad is building but Fowler will be gone (probably retired),Crouch has to go because he just wants liverpool to play to his strenghts and there are not that many of them anyway, and there are rumours about Bellamy leaving plus Kuyt wastes too many chances so he can be no more than a squad player and Benitez hates Djibril Cisse which means Liverpool need 3 new strikers now I say break the bank for Villa bring in Darren Bent and Yakubu who are proven at premiership level and would cost a maximum £25m combined; Villa would cost £30m.

Then we need to replace Pennant with a winger who can beat a man, now I know on these boards Arjen Robben is like the plague but if Jose leaves he would be perfect for us as he can play both sides has a great left foot and on his day his better than Ronaldo at Man U then we should send Gonzalez on loan and bring in Morten Gamst Pedersen from Blackburn and he can compete with Garcia on the left flank with Risse.
Also we should sell Aurelio and Kewell because they are too prone to bad injuries.

Then we would have Lucas Neill to cover all positions in the back 4, JC and Agger in the centre then 2 from 3 (Finnan, Risse and Neill) for the Left-Back slot and the Right-Back slot.

Then in midfield Mascherano could play with Gerrard, or Alonso could with with Sissoko with Gerrard on the inside Right position.
Then Rotate the 4 strikers throughout the season (Kuyt, Villa, Yakubu and Darren Bent) with Robben and Pedersen on the wide positions.

So you are suggesting we sell Bellamy, Crouch, Fowler and Pennant and replace them with Bent, Yakubu, Pederson and Villa.

Please tell me we can attract better players than Bent, Yakubu and Pederson. I dont think i could cope if thats the case. :help
mattylfc

Postby CarlosRocks » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:27 pm

yakubu, pederson and bent..........you avin a laugh? robben yeah possibly but the other 3..... ???
CarlosRocks

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:30 pm

I'd rather have Pedersen than Gonzalez or Riise on the left flank to be perfectly honest with you.

The Echo

Reds begin legal battle to sign MascheranoJan 8 2007

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL have begun a legal battle to complete the transfer of Javier Mascherano.

Mascherano played for Brazilian club Corinthians after the World Cup in August 2006, just before his switch to West Ham.

West Ham have agreed to allow the 22-year-old to leave, Mascherano has agreed a move to Anfield and Liverpool want to sign him, and it's hoped FIFA will assess his case on this principle.

Lawyers will argue no-one is suffering but the player.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RedBlood » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:05 am

maschero is a great player and i would love us to sign him
he hasnt made it big at westham but he hasnt really played that many games
watching him in brazil and for argentina its obvious he has quality and at 22 has alot of time to improve
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby tel » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:53 am

Since we're on the rumour mill, add Beckham to the list.
tel

Postby DonnieDarko » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:56 am

Wake up little Suzie you are dreaming.

Pedersen is class. I think the next "step" is to upgrade our fullbacks (Riise, Finnan). The rest of our squad (when Kewell comes back) is solid.
DonnieDarko

Postby aCe' » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 am

DonnieDarko wrote:

Wake up little Suzie you are dreaming.

Pedersen is class. I think the next "step" is to upgrade our fullbacks (Riise, Finnan). The rest of our squad (when Kewell comes back) is solid.

agree that we need to improve our fullbakcs.... rate finnan but 1 more season and i cant see him starting after that ! riise we need to find a replacement for .. think we should give aurelio more first team football ... he seems to be a quality player !

kewell would be a great addition to the squad when hes fit again... would be like signing a new player... same with manutd this season with scholes back ! looks different and play better football !

no one seems to know when kewell will be back though... if he can get be to match fitness and all ?!

we have a problem in the left wing if kewell doesnt come back... we'll need a signing there by summer if kewell is not ready !

our forward line is another area i'd want improved !

when you can say that the guy in Bolton..and that guy in Tottenham and that other guy in Charlton and the Middlesbrough guy and the WestHam guy and the newcastle guy are all better forwards than any of the forwards we have... not to mention all the forwards of the top3 .. you know we have a problem !  We need a finisher.. really dont care who plays along with him... bellamy or kuyt.... but we need someone with quality and ability !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 am

No kidding, upgrade on Finnan? Name a better Right back in the Premier league. As for Riise, I agree that he is not up to his old self and an upgrade would be great but the main problem still lies with the coverage and defensive awareness of the players when facing opponent's counterattack.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Juve: Reds winning Masch race

Juventus are ready to concede defeat in their bid to snatch Javier Mascherano from under the noses of Liverpool, but skysports.com understands that the

Premiership side are yet to petition Fifa regarding any transfer of the West Ham man.

The Reds are known to be keen on recruiting the Argentinian international on loan for the remainder of the season, but recent reports had suggested that long-standing admirers Juventus were launching a renewed bid to lure the midfielder to Italy.

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley recently stated his belief that Mascherano, and international colleague Carlos Tevez, would not be leaving Upton Park due to Fifa regulations that prevent players performing for three clubs between 1st July and 30th June.

Despite the problems regarding red tape, Liverpool are believed to be hopeful of finding a way around the regulations in order to secure the signature of the player who made such an impression at Corinthians before seeing his form slump at Upton Park.

Now The Reds appear to be in pole position to land Mascherano after Juve's general director Alessio Secco confirmed that the MSI-owned star is close to a move to Anfield.

"Mascherano? It is a complicated situation either on a federal level or for his ownership," Secco told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Anyway now he is really close to Liverpool."

Following the Bianconeri's admission, only the outstanding legal issues with Fifa appear to be standing in the way of the holding midfielder completing a loan move to Anfield.

However, skysports.com has learnt that Fifa's legal department are yet to receive any correspondence from the Premiership club
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:26 pm

akumaface wrote:No kidding, upgrade on Finnan? Name a better Right back in the Premier league. As for Riise, I agree that he is not up to his old self and an upgrade would be great but the main problem still lies with the coverage and defensive awareness of the players when facing opponent's counterattack.

I would like Miguel from benfica.  Finnan is solid but his not the quickest and going forward his not the most talented either.
puroresu

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion