Neil mellor - Some help please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lfc_2005_andy_hearts » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:24 pm

I've been a big liverpool fan all my life. (Its my first post tonight). I've also been blessed with the Heart of Midlothian bug. I want to ask some Liverpool fans the truth about neil mellor. As we are trying to buy him (and sell him from my perspective), what do you think about him leaving the club. My feeling was that he was doing pretty well for us up till he got that injury last year. I'd be over the moon if he signed for hearts, considering the p.i.s.s we've got up in the SPL, but wanted to know what all you's guys thought about it?

Any responses would be massively appreciated. P.S It's so much harder trying to get a ticket for a liverpool game (from a non season ticket holders perspective) since rafa was appointed, a good thing i guess eh?

Thanks

Andy
lfc_2005_andy_hearts

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:34 pm

Neil Mellor isn't a bad player but he isn't good enough for the level LFC want to be at, problem I find with Mellor is that he wastes to many chances and you might need to give him 5 or 6 decent ones for him to score, no disrespect to the lad cos he works hard but he isn't good enough to get first team football at Anfield :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:35 pm

welcome to our forum.  Neil is a good player....sadly, he's not quick enough for the Premiership.  He's got bags of talent (just see his goal for us against Arsenal) but i can't see him being a regular for us.  I thin he would do really well for you and become a great SPL player.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfc_2005_andy_hearts » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Cheers for that mate, i appreciate your honesty. The fact is though, he will (hopefully) get loads of goals in the spl. The defences are rubbish outside Celtic and Rangers, and we have been creating an abundance of chances up here, but we've got 2 big strikers (ala Crouch without the nice finishes) up here, and are crying out for a striker that can take some chances.

Hopefully he'll be successful, thats if we can sign him at all. We've also had a 750K bid accepted for Potter, any info on what you think of him, coz we've been crying out for a right midfielder for ages, i saw him on a couple of games last year, but he seems to have disappeared from our radar (thats liverpools, not hearts). Sorry I know you prob think that this should be on a hearts forum, but i love both teams equally as much, and need some real LFC's supporters opinions so that I can let my fellow hearts fans know.

Thanks

Andy
lfc_2005_andy_hearts

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Lacks class, is injury prone, is a lump...............BUT...........knows where the goal is.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:44 pm

JBG wrote:Lacks class, is injury prone, is a lump...............BUT...........knows where the goal is.

you've stolen that from Rafa's notes, haven't you! :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfc_2005_andy_hearts » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:48 pm

Not very helpful that mate, so he knows where the goal is. Do you think he's too injury prone, coz we've got enough of them up here at tynecastle.

Could I just take this minute to invite any liverpool fan who's up here on holiday in edinburgh to let me know and I'll sort out some free tickets for the hearts game to let you's all see an spl match. I'd love more of a link between hearts and liverpool, and this would be one way of doing this. I know some of the staff at tynecastle and they would be more than willing to help on this. In saying that, I believe our beloved owner (Mr Vladimir Romanov) is trying desparately to get some sort of joint venture going between my 2 favourite clubs, so if you fancy a visit, let me know.

It'll open your eyes up, I tell you.

Thanks for listening

Andy
lfc_2005_andy_hearts

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:51 pm

He's actually a decent striker.

But he lacks athleticism BIG TIME.... No real pace either....

Really good lad, but not good enough, not even for the bench I'm sorry to say :(

He's a bit like Hartson.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:52 pm

What I meant is that even though Mellor can look a desperately poor player at times, he has a nose for goals, and if he stayed fit, I think he'd score goals in Scotland.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby lfc_2005_andy_hearts » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:He's actually a decent striker.

But he lacks athleticism BIG TIME.... No real pace either....

Really good lad, but not good enough, not even for the bench I'm sorry to say :(

He's a bit like Hartson.

See in you saying that fills me with great belief because since hartson's came to the spl, he's been nothing short of sensational.

You have to remove your LFC head (which i have to regularly, and think about whether this player is good enough for the english championship) and then you've got a fantastic player in the spl. I know there's many a liverpool fan who likes celtic, but really, the way it is in the spl at the moment, celtic and rangers are pretty average championship sides (bottom premiership sides at the best), so they are there for the taking. That fills me with more confidence than despair, thanks mate, even if that wasn't your intention.

Andy
lfc_2005_andy_hearts

Postby lfc_2005_andy_hearts » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:58 pm

JBG wrote:What I meant is that even though Mellor can look a desperately poor player at times, he has a nose for goals, and if he stayed fit, I think he'd score goals in Scotland.

Whats your thoughts on darren potter though mate?
lfc_2005_andy_hearts

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:00 am

As has already been said Mellor is capable of finding the net quite spectacularly (see game against Arseholenal last season) but he's also very very slow in premiership terms and I also think he's not good enough for the premiership but i think he'd be a big hit in the spl.

Potter also IMO isn't quite good enough for the premiership but don't be thinking he's on out and out RM/W as his natural position as far as I remember is actually more RCM but as we've got stevie and xabi he's been moved out to the wing.Again I think he'd be better suited to the lesser quality (no offence intended  :p  ) of the spl as it's a much slower game and as you say most of the defences are crap.

What is it with Hearts at the moment as  they seem to be chasing half of the LFC reserves - is your chairman trying to buy a LFC franchise or something bit by bit  :D  . Hows Graham 'I LIKE 'EM YOUNG I DO'Rix :D doing since takin over as I don't really follow the scottish footy but you seemed to be doing really well with Burley as manager 'til that went TITS UP. :oh:
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:07 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:Hows Graham 'I LIKE 'EM YOUNG I DO'Rix :D doing since takin over

:D Meow.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby lfc_2005_andy_hearts » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:As has already been said Mellor is capable of finding the net quite spectacularly (see game against Arseholenal last season) but he's also very very slow in premiership terms and I also think he's not good enough for the premiership but i think he'd be a big hit in the spl.

Potter also IMO isn't quite good enough for the premiership but don't be thinking he's on out and out RM/W as his natural position as far as I remember is actually more RCM but as we've got stevie and xabi he's been moved out to the wing.Again I think he'd be better suited to the lesser quality (no offence intended  :p  ) of the spl as it's a much slower game and as you say most of the defences are crap.

What is it with Hearts at the moment as  they seem to be chasing half of the LFC reserves - is your chairman trying to buy a LFC franchise or something bit by bit  :D  . Hows Graham 'I LIKE 'EM YOUNG I DO'Rix :D doing since takin over as I don't really follow the scottish footy but you seemed to be doing really well with Burley as manager 'til that went TITS UP. :oh:

Yeah the whole rix scenario was a bit of a nightmare for the (family club) of hearts. We had many a season ticket holder (We've got a whole 12,500!!!!) burning their tickets in protest (when i say many, i mean a couple of hundred). It was more in protest of getting rid of burley, who was doing a premiership job in the spl, taking us 5 points clear of celtic, which was unprecedented in modern times. We were all gutted when burley was sacked for no apparent reason, however you cant stop supporting your team just because you've changed managers.

Anyway, It was a big story up here, which probably made our chairman happy, as he seems to be quite happy to steal the limelight off our old firm rivals. anyway, i want us to get champions league qualification next year, which is very possible now, seen as we are 10 points clear of rangers, so heres hoping

Andy
lfc_2005_andy_hearts

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:35 am

i agree with the posters who say mellor lacks a bit of pace but the lads an excellent finisher. i remember him scoring a couple of well taken goals against boro in a carling cup win at anfield and he did come off the bench to get the vital second in the famous olympiacos come back.
if a team tends to have a lot of posession against sides and likes methodical build up play as opposed to pacey counter attacks i think he`ll do a good job.
potter can see a decent pass and has quite a lot of vision but again his pace lets him down. these days the prem is so quick you need to be almost an athlete as well as a footballer.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion