Move for ledley king?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:10 am

Depending on Rafas transfer kitty i would pay 11 million.
Thats not even half what Ferdinand cost united, and Woodgate went for more when he is always injured.
He is a young centre half with pace potential and can also play holding role in midfield if we wanted.
If rafa has a smaller budget than what we expect, then i would go for someone cheaper, but i dont fancy Upson at all. Wenger is a shrewd manager at spotting young talent, and he let him go for 3 mill when adams and keown were on the way out, and there was no obvious replacements.
He has also looked out of his depth imo for England.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:22 am

£10m is the going rate for a class young defender like King, look at the likes of Ferdinand and Woodgate, OK may not be as good as them at the moment but I think he's got a lot of potential.

So are people saying we should sign a defender for £5m? Fair enough that's about what Sami cost but there wont be many bargains like him going around.

It seems every realistic transfer rumour gets poo-pood on this board :p
Adebisi

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:59 am

I like the idea of buying premiership players, only Alonso really impressed last season.

If we buy a bunch of players from European league we'll do poorly again in the premiership (unless last seasons non performers-Morientes, Cisse, Nunes, Garcia (bar goals), etc all improve drastically)

Buying a Hypia is rare, Henchoz was proven in premiership.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:02 am

So, if we can get Milito for 6Million, does it mean King is better at 10Million? Who would you get?

As for rumour threads, I think people just have to lighten up. Some people remember to put it in the St. Mic thread and some forgot or don't care. I don't think its a big deal because for those who is bothered by these kind of threads can just continue at the St. Mic thread and ignore the rest. I don't think its a crime and I came on here just to have casual chat or read and don't want to bound by more rules and regulation (get enough of that during work already). But I agree some of the thread might be stupid but hey that's life cause not everyone got intelligent thing to say. :D
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby coolsobs » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:13 pm

I think we should get milito if we are looking for pace as he is quite pacy for a centre-back, fstaer than carra anyway, however king has the advantage of height but milito has quite a good jump so i would get milito.
coolsobs

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:36 am

King is good no doubt but I can't see it happening.  Spurs are on the up and he probably wont want to leave.  If he does then spurs would hold us to ransom and it wouldnt be value for money

Looks like we are gonna go for milito instead.  I don't know much about him to be honest

Wouldnt be surprised if we went in for upson if we dont get milito.  He wont sign a new contract at birmingham and Bruce is getting worried he wants to move on.  Don't think he's better than what we have but he'd be decent back-up for carra and sami.  Problem is we need a pacy CB to replace sami in the long term and I don't see upson fitting the bill
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:40 am

King will be class, there is no doubt about that...but, as other people have said, i can't see us getting held to ransom for £15 million on a player who hasn't proved himself.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby infiltraitor » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:33 am

:;): King would take sami"s place easily,we really do need someone with speed at center back.On another note let"s hope hamman stays i credit him big time for the turn around in the cl final....Who remembers McCallister...He's good for 1 more season.
infiltraitor

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:45 pm

azriahmad wrote:Being English, he would command an astronomical transfer fee. Not worth it.

Agree, although he's a great defender.

Bobo Balde is available I think if he hasn't already signed for someone else.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:47 pm

fivecups wrote:Bobo Balde is available I think if he hasn't already signed for someone else.

Balde??

I've watched a lot of Scottish football in the last few years and theres not a chance that Balde would excell in the english prem.  Scottish football has rapidly gone down hill over the years and it is probably at its lowest ever right now.

Balde may look good in Scotland but he is constantly found wanting in europe.  His positional play is awful at times, and while he is commanding in the air he also gives away far too many free kicks.

Players like Varga and Amoruso have looked like quality centre-halves in Scotland but simply weren't good enough in England. Balde is in this category as well.  Boumsong is the best CB i have seen play in Scotland for years, he has a chance to break the mould and do well in England.  We should have signed him when we had the chance
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:07 pm

milito is the best defender being touted out there,he's quick strong and good with ball at his feet ,for six million would  better investment than king who would be double milito's price
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:10 pm

infiltraitor wrote: :;): King would take sami"s place easily

Rubbish.

Absoloute rubbish.
115-1073096938

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:13 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
infiltraitor wrote::;): King would take sami"s place easily

Rubbish.

Absoloute rubbish.

Its probably not, Pellegrino took his place quite a bit last season...even if we know it was a mistake to do that, it shows that Rafa is thinkin of replacing him.
If he signs another defender, they will start the first league game imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1104673748 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:57 pm

King is a treasure to Totenham's defence.If he goes,the defence line will collapse or at least have a large hole in it.They won't let him go.Sol Campbell was a predecessor for the example.Just like we won't sell Carragher for the same reason.
116-1104673748

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion