Morientes to betis - Part exchange

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:19 pm

A mate mentioned he saw a report (says he can't remember where   ???  ) stating Morientes + £6-7 mill in cash will be used to bring Joaquin to Anfield in the January window . Anybody seen anything on this ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

No, and it would surprise me if we picked up Joaquin as cheap as that.
Morientes's value has surely decreased...i dont think we would get 5 million for him due to his age and form.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:26 pm

I thik we'll keep Nando until at least the Summer and give him the best chance to discover his best form. Rafa rates him and so do I. I've defended Morientes to the hills on here.

I don't think we'll go for Joaquin - he'll cost a bucketload and our first option will be Simao who will coast about 5 mill less and in my opinion is just as good a player.

Wouldn't mind Joaquin at all though.... :oops:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm

Simao plays on the left, we want a natural right footed winger :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm

Well, Betis do need a striker since Oliveira has at least 5 months of injury. In that sense, I'd find Morientes option quite tasty for them. But it would be politically difficult to accept in Sevilla to get rid of Joaquin now that the team is not well classified in the Spanish pile. I wouldn't give much credit to that exchange, but I'd find normal that they're interested on Moro.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:31 pm

stmichael wrote:I thik we'll keep Nando until at least the Summer and give him the best chance to discover his best form. Rafa rates him and so do I. I've defended Morientes to the hills on here.

I don't think we'll go for Joaquin - he'll cost a bucketload and our first option will be Simao who will coast about 5 mill less and in my opinion is just as good a player.

Wouldn't mind Joaquin at all though.... :oops:

I agree with you about Rafa keeping Morientes he does seem to favour him.
I have only seen Simao a couple of times and imo he doesn't seem in Joaquins league. (but that is after hardly seeing him play)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coxy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:32 pm

The article is from the Independant

Liverpool ready to use Morientes as bait for Joaquin deal
By Sam Wallace
Published: 03 November 2005
Fernando Morientes may have sparkled for Liverpool in their Champions' League victory over Anderlecht on Tuesday, but the European champions are exploring the possibility of off-loading the Spanish striker in a deal to bring Real Betis' Joaquin to Anfield. The Spanish side are believed to want a £7m payment - as well as the Spain international - in return for their prize asset.

Joaquin was in the Betis side that inflicted upon Chelsea their first defeat of the season over 90 minutes on Tuesday night and he is regarded as the leading performer in a team that has struggled in La Liga this season after qualifying for the Champions' League for the first time.

The Spain international would be ideal to fill a right-sided role that has caused Rafael Benitez problems in recent months. The Liverpool manager opted to play Luis Garcia there last season but lately the right-sided position has fallen to Steven Gerrard, who played there in the win over Anderlecht in which Morientes scored the first goal.

Morientes joined from Real Madrid for £6.3m in the January transfer window. However, he has struggled with the demands of the Premiership and has scored just six goals in 27 appearances.

Fernando Morientes may have sparkled for Liverpool in their Champions' League victory over Anderlecht on Tuesday, but the European champions are exploring the possibility of off-loading the Spanish striker in a deal to bring Real Betis' Joaquin to Anfield. The Spanish side are believed to want a £7m payment - as well as the Spain international - in return for their prize asset.

Joaquin was in the Betis side that inflicted upon Chelsea their first defeat of the season over 90 minutes on Tuesday night and he is regarded as the leading performer in a team that has struggled in La Liga this season after qualifying for the Champions' League for the first time.
The Spain international would be ideal to fill a right-sided role that has caused Rafael Benitez problems in recent months. The Liverpool manager opted to play Luis Garcia there last season but lately the right-sided position has fallen to Steven Gerrard, who played there in the win over Anderlecht in which Morientes scored the first goal.

Morientes joined from Real Madrid for £6.3m in the January transfer window. However, he has struggled with the demands of the Premiership and has scored just six goals in 27 appearances.
coxy

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:37 pm

Sabre you're pretty clued up on Spanish footy , whats the situation with Joaquins contract ? (length)

I don't normally attach any credence to stories that can't name a source but have felt for some time now that Morientes may harbour a desire to return to La Liga and thats the only reason I give the "story" a second thought .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:39 pm

coxy wrote:The article is from the Independant

Thanks Coxy , missed you intial post .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:47 pm

to be honest i'd be sad to see morientes go and joaquin arrive. for sure joaquin is a fine player, in fact exactly the kind of fine player that morientes needs to whip in those crosses he thrives on so much. but if the choice was between simao and morientes or joaquin and crouch i know which one i'd go for every time.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:51 pm

Woof woof: Joaquin's contract ends in June 2010. It was renewed back in 2003.

But since last year Joaquin sees himself outside Sevilla. He has said so every time he could, his father says the same thing. But Lopera the Betis president is as folklorik and weird as a good bussinessman. He wouldn't let Joaquin go for little money under any circunstamce.

So Joaquin would come happily to Anfield (he preffers to play in foreign country rather than another team of Spain) but his president expects to get insultant amounts of money, and for your disgrace, there's the thought here that english clubs have the money now.

Nevertheless, Morientes is tasty for Betis, they might find that part exchange interesting.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:55 pm

to be honest i think joaquin's shown a great deal of loyalty to betis. i mean he could have gone to any of the big clubs who could have afforded him over the last couple of years. i think it's a very similar situation with fernando torres and athletico madrid. he's been very loyal to them aswell.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Why would we want to sell Nando to bring in Joaquin? Surley we need to have Nando when all thos quality crosses come in?
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:12 pm

I think come january if moro is still struggling for his top form that we all know he has then it would be a tremendous deal for us. Between now and the transfer window if he gets a good run of games and still hasn't shown his best form, i think rafa just might consider it, in the league games i get the feeling that moro just doesn't seem happy with the way it is, the more physical the premiership is and not getting the time on the ball as you do in spain. So come january who knows this is a possibility and it could turn out to be a good deal all round.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:15 pm

Paul C wrote:Simao plays on the left, we want a natural right footed winger :;):

So why were we trying to sign him as a right winger on the transfer deasline day? Or am I missing something?
FrankM

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion