Momo sissoko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 pm

bigmick wrote:Sissoko is very much a work in progress, a player developing before our eyes on one of the toughest stages in the World. Of course he's not the second best holding midfield player in the league, that's just silly talk but I would venture he is probably the best 20-y-o midfielder around right now. Judging him is difficult because he obviously immature, like Bambi on ice and with a head as hot as a hot thing but there is definately something there.
I think he's a guy who sets the rhythm of the team in terms of hunting the ball. He is clearly in posession of a remarkable engine and the stats blokes reckon that he covers an unusually high amount of ground during a game. At times he is awful on the ball and yet at others he displays a subtlety of touch which is indicative of a really good footballer. He has probably started more games than would be ideal with Gerrard moving to the right, but I feel he has been instrumental in protecting our defense. I don't think games in the reserves are what this kid needs unless he's coming back from injury, he needs time pure and simple.
How good is he going to be? My suspicion is that he may become a very special player indeed, a box to box midfield player out of the very top drawer. At 5 million pounds he represents excellent value IMHO and as usual, my view is somewhere in between the extremist opinions offered by Stu and Banana.
As a footnote to Banana, I do feel you know your football mate and you make some very good points. You do however slightly spoil it with some bizarre opinions on occasions. Your assertion that Hyppia isn't worthy of a place in the Dog and Duck first X1 and that Sissoko is already one of the best midfielders in Europe diminishes your argument somewhat IMHO.

Well summed up Mick, I'd go along with that.

Sissoko's far from the finished article but is improving rapidly, remember he's only been playing centre midfield for a couple of years.  His distribution is still poor but is getting better.  His workrate and ability to break up play is without a doubt one of the major reasons why we're so much improved away from home.

One of the best midfielders in the league?  Not yet.

Value for money?  Worth every penny of the 5 million we paid.

Are Everton gutted we hijacked the deal?  Damn right :D
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:actually, its funny how many people asy sissoko is now playing like Viera did in his first season. if u rememebr back viwera was all legs and bad tackles with that edge in his first season, which momo has now got.

im not saying they are the same, but there is a similarity u cant ignore in first seasons comparatively

Vieira had so much more though in every area.

Vieira was a world class prospect.

Sissoko is a potentially excellent player. Nowhere near world class though and never will be.

you seem to forget that Verira was sold by AC Milan with the label of being 'not good enough.'  Veira didn't become class until he was 23-24.  Come on folks, Sissoko is only 20!

Vieira didn't become class untill he was 23/24?

Get lost lad.

Players don't "become class". Look at Owen, Fowler, Rooney. These players come through and STRAIGHT away they stand out like a sore thumb. Vieira is one of the best players in that position over the last 10 years. He is a world class footballer.

To say he only became class at 23, is clueless. Arsenal fans will tell you, the first game no-one knew who he was, he made a couple of appearances and they realised they had a star on there hands. The man is outstanding and always has been.

"players don't become class" ???

I think you'll find that they do.  Not all players are 'born great,' some are moulded into great players instead because they have the raw materials.  If you think all great players are born into Pele, you're mistaken
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:actually, its funny how many people asy sissoko is now playing like Viera did in his first season. if u rememebr back viwera was all legs and bad tackles with that edge in his first season, which momo has now got.

im not saying they are the same, but there is a similarity u cant ignore in first seasons comparatively

Sissoko is a potentially excellent player. Nowhere near world class though and never will be.

Stu, Sissoko is only 20 ,don't you think he has the potential to develope into a world class player,it's a bit harsh to say he never will be one when nobody knows how much he can improve,not even himself probably

Owen, Fowler, Rooney and Gerrard were better at 17, 18, 16 and 19 than Sissoko is at 20.

Fowler never reached a world class and Owen didn't stay at that level once he reached it. All of which were FAR FAR better than Sissoko.

He will NEVER be world class.

WOT A MUPPET.

JIMMY BULLARD SAY NO MORE

Lad, when you've got a clue come back.

You're aguement...

"SAY NO MORE". :;):

I've got to hand it to you Stu, you are the "PETE BURNS" of the newkit forum! :D

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:They sold him because he didnt want to stay. He wasnt happy in Italy, they wanted to groom him as a first team player, but he wanted to play in the first team straight away, that is why he was sold.

he only ever played 2 senior matches for Milan....enough said really.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:49 pm

john craig wrote:remember he's only been playing centre midfield for a couple of years. 

A couple of lads have said this John. What was he before?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:52 pm

bigmick wrote:
john craig wrote:remember he's only been playing centre midfield for a couple of years. 

He was a forward - not a very good one going on his shots so far.  ???
AlanHansen

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:53 pm

World class, top class, blah blah blah blah.

It doesn't actually matter if - say - Carra wouldn't make it into a World XI. Bottom line is I wouldn't swap him for anybody at this point in time. Ditto Finnan, ditto Crouch, probably ditto a few others.

All that matters is what we have, and where they're going. Sissoko is a cracking prospect, and let's not forget how new he is to the game in this country. Already he's done so much better in the Prem than so many others from the Euro leagues. Look at Morientes - he's been here for a year and is still struggling to find his feet. Momo has been here for 4 and a half months, and although he's still ragged, his game suits the league, and he's so young that Rafa's got plenty of time to mould him into a better player.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:53 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

you seem to forget that Verira was sold by AC Milan with the label of being 'not good enough.'  Veira didn't become class until he was 23-24.  Come on folks, Sissoko is only 20!

Get lost lad.

Players don't "become class". Look at Owen, Fowler, Rooney. These players come through and STRAIGHT away they stand out like a sore thumb. Vieira is one of the best players in that position over the last 10 years. He is a world class footballer.

To say he only became class at 23, is clueless. Arsenal fans will tell you, the first game no-one knew who he was, he made a couple of appearances and they realised they had a star on there hands. The man is outstanding and always has been.

I think you'll find that they do.  Not all players are 'born great,' some are moulded into great players instead because they have the raw materials.  If you think all great players are born into Pele, you're mistaken

Clueless, i'm not even gonna waste my time. :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:54 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Get lost lad.

so was Carra born a great player?  go back to your skysports 'soccer' watching.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:55 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:World class, top class, blah blah blah blah.

It doesn't actually matter if - say - Carra wouldn't make it into a World XI. Bottom line is I wouldn't swap him for anybody at this point in time. Ditto Finnan, ditto Crouch, probably ditto a few others.

All that matters is what we have, and where they're going. Sissoko is a cracking prospect, and let's not forget how new he is to the game in this country. Already he's done so much better in the Prem than so many others from the Euro leagues. Look at Morientes - he's been here for a year and is still struggling to find his feet. Momo has been here for 4 and a half months, and although he's still ragged, his game suits the league, and he's so young that Rafa's got plenty of time to mould him into a better player.

Thats fair enough and well said.

However that isn't what's being discussed, people are discussing his ability level and completely over estimating the lad.
115-1073096938

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:56 pm

AlanHansen wrote:
bigmick wrote:

He was a forward - not a very good one going on his shots so far.  ???

Yeah allegedly he was bought by Benitez as a forward for Valencia, but he played a game in centre mid when the team was ravaged by injuries, excelled there and Benitez decided to convert him.

All second hand info though Mick, I never personally remember him as a striker
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:59 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Get lost lad.

Nope, and he still isn't a great player.

He's been pretty much the same as he was since he first came through. If you read my posts, i always said the same things about Carragher, over the last 7 years i've always rated him pretty much the same. Has he improved? Of course he has, he suddenly improved every attribute immensely? Has he :censored:, he's improved one or two area's, found a system and TEAM that suits and gets the best out of him.

If you can't see that lad, thats down to you, you were a Carragher basher, I remember from your posts, I never have, never will because i can spot a good player when i see one. From day one i saw Carraghers effort, heart, tackling, positioning, reading of the game and alround defensive ability.

He has gained leadership and confidence and become even more determined for this club, thats all. Thats the only real difference.

But people like you think he was :censored: a few years ago, now he's great. When in both cases, you're completely wrong.
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:03 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Get lost lad.

Nope, and he still isn't a great player.

He's been pretty much the same as he was since he first came through. If you read my posts, i always said the same things about Carragher, over the last 7 years i've always rated him pretty much the same. Has he improved? Of course he has, he suddenly improved every attribute immensely? Has he :censored:, he's improved one or two area's, found a system and TEAM that suits and gets the best out of him.

If you can't see that lad, thats down to you, you were a Carragher basher, I remember from your posts, I never have, never will because i can spot a good player when i see one. From day one i saw Carraghers effort, heart, tackling, positioning, reading of the game and alround defensive ability.

He has gained leadership and confidence and become even more determined for this club, thats all. Thats the only real difference.

But people like you think he was :censored: a few years ago, now he's great. When in both cases, you're completely wrong.

Carra bashing?  i've NEVER slagged off Carra and i challenge you to show me a link to prove where i do.  As usal, you're taking cr@p and seem unable to understand that some players are born great and some become great.  Carra is an example of this.  I believe Sissoko is a raw talent (just like Carra was) and can be moulded into a great player.  If you expect a 20 year old forign player to become great in his first season then you're nothing but a glory seeking idiot.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:04 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:World class, top class, blah blah blah blah.

Thats fair enough and well said.

However that isn't what's being discussed, people are discussing his ability level and completely over estimating the lad.

My point is that people get wrapped up too much into where he ranks. We start off talking about one player and end up talking about five or six.

Momo Sissoko is not the best in the league. I'd argue that he's not even in the top two in our squad at the enforcer role, let alone the Prem. I do get the crux of people's arguments though - even though some are getting a bit carried away.

In time he'll be one of those players that regularly goes into tackles and will come out with the ball at his feet, and with the other guy needing a minute to get his breath back. In the middle of the park, he's the kind of guy that can help us dominate. With work on his distribution, he can help us do that for years to come.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:12 pm

Carra bashing?  i've NEVER slagged off Carra and i challenge you to show me a link to prove where i do.  As usal, you're taking cr@p and seem unable to understand that some players are born great and some become great.  Carra is an example of this.  I believe Sissoko is a raw talent (just like Carra was) and can be moulded into a great player.  If you expect a 20 year old forign player to become great in his first season then you're nothing but a glory seeking idiot.

You think Carragher is a world class player?
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion