Momo sissoko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:02 pm

hmm, Sissoko one of the best in Europe?  :laugh:

The lads nowhere near the likes of Veira yet....but he has the potential to be so in the future.  I agree with what has been said, Sissoko does make some dreadful mistakes with his passing....he was awful against Luton.  However, he's only going to improve with more 1st team games and for what he lacks in passing awareness, he makes up for with his ability to shake up the opposition midfield.  I like him and think that playing alongside the likes of Gearrad and Alonso, he'lll improve.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:03 pm

Those are very good points about him learning a sense of authority and playing in the reserves and being used sparing in the first team will not do him any harm, but would it not be better for him to be playing “the real thing”. Sissoko is a long term project, and that why putting him in the reserves is not so farcical, but I believe it is better for his development to have him closer to the first team. Having him start 60/70 % of first team games will help him much more than playing in the reserves, if that was going to happen then it should have happened in the first month or so.

I think Rafa is handling his development about right, I personally don like to see players spending too much time in the reserves, if you watch the games they really are of a low standard, and you can see why 90% of the players don’t make it at Premiership teams.

On the flip side, would we really be in a position not to have him playing in the first team? If he wasn’t we would be missing certain qualities that the others don’t really give us, so from a team point of view it makes sense to play him more regularly.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:04 pm

sissoko has the potential to be one of the ebst. hes got raw talent, raw energy, raw aggression. he needs to focus his energies mroe and he will be one of the best in his position if u ask me. the guy is a definate attribute and u can see him improving everygame
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:06 pm

7_Kewell wrote:hmm, Sissoko one of the best in Europe?  :laugh:

The lads nowhere near the likes of Veira yet....but he has the potential to be so in the future.  I agree with what has been said, Sissoko does make some dreadful mistakes with his passing....he was awful against Luton.  However, he's only going to improve with more 1st team games and for what he lacks in passing awareness, he makes up for with his ability to shake up the opposition midfield.  I like him and think that playing alongside the likes of Gearrad and Alonso, he'lll improve.

Exactly. Before we all talk about Momo being the next Vieira, why don't we start with Gerrard being the next Vieira and work from there. 

No need to put heeps of pressure on Sissoko, especially as he's only 20 years old. He has the luxury of learning in England next to two of the best, if not the two best central midfielders in the Premiership.

Incidentally who's Gearrad? :D
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Those are very good points about him learning a sense of authority and playing in the reserves and being used sparing in the first team will not do him any harm, but would it not be better for him to be playing “the real thing”. Sissoko is a long term project, and that why putting him in the reserves is not so farcical, but I believe it is better for his development to have him closer to the first team. Having him start 60/70 % of first team games will help him much more than playing in the reserves, if that was going to happen then it should have happened in the first month or so.

I think Rafa is handling his development about right, I personally don like to see players spending too much time in the reserves, if you watch the games they really are of a low standard, and you can see why 90% of the players don’t make it at Premiership teams.

On the flip side, would we really be in a position not to have him playing in the first team? If he wasn’t we would be missing certain qualities that the others don’t really give us, so from a team point of view it makes sense to play him more regularly.

Listen lad, stop arguing... :D

No seriously....

The real thing, do you not think that he's more likely to have a poor game in the first team? If he's having a bad game and plays a shocking pass and gives a goal away, Gerrard or Carra scream at him, don't you think that would effect his confidence? I certainly do. He's not a Fowler, Rooney or Owen standard player. He's not one of them who's going to impress everyone 19 times out of 20. He could be better than the likes of Barton and Parker in a few years though and become a really good squad player.

People in general don't mature properly till about twenty-two or twenty-three. For me he should DEFINATELY be around the first team, however i just feel for confidence and full development reasons he shouldn't be a regular as yet.

I'd rather have a better player in there, IE Ballack or Joaquin. As i've said many times, i like him, he's going to be a good player, he's never going to be a Vieira or Gerrard, he's not that good but he's not bad at all.

It makes me laugh though when people say he's amoungst the best in the country.
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:20 pm

stmichael wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:hmm, Sissoko one of the best in Europe?  :laugh:

Exactly. Before we all talk about Momo being the next Vieira, why don't we start with Gerrard being the next Vieira and work from there. 

No need to put heeps of pressure on Sissoko, especially as he's only 20 years old. He has the luxury of learning in England next to two of the best, if not the two best central midfielders in the Premiership.

Incidentally who's Gearrad? :D

I think he's some player in our reserves..... :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:21 pm

I agree that it is laughable when people say he is one of the best in Europe, he is still not one of the best in England!

If Sissoko has one bad game for every 3 good ones, is that really that bad? This is not what is expected of a top first team player, but it is what is expected from a 20 year old who had only been playing central midfield for 2 years. I still think his development will be better aided if he starts 60/70% of our first team game rather than playing in the reserves and being used sparingly in the first team.

Lets say for Example we had bought Joquain at the start of the season and were playing a 4-4-2, do you think Sissoko would have been played as much as he has? NO.

At the end of the day, needs are must, and we need Sissoko right now.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:22 pm

For me he's still definitely an asset. He can be exasperating getting booked often quite early in many matches, putting himself & the team under pressure. But I feel he has genuine quality and his weaknesses can be ironed out over time. Whether playing for the reserves on the odd occasion is an option is a matter of opinion. I personally can't see it happening. Tags such as "the new Vieira" never help anybody (how many new Maradonas have Argentina had?) and Sissoko isn't anything like PV was, not yet anyway.

Recently, I think he's lost a little composure though. It's almost as though he's trying too hard to exhibit those qualities that was praised for initially, with the result that he's a bit more headless chicken now. I can't really blame him since he's young and, when you've got Stevie and Xabi alongside you, the temptation to be something 'different' - i.e. team hatchet man is understandable. Hell not so long ago Gerrard had a very rash streak in him which he seems to have under control now (touch wood).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Without a doubt  a signing for the future with alot of potential.
His tackling  is bit of worry for but then again Stevie G had a few shockers early on in his career as well. I like his aggression though and as long as he learns to channel it, it gives some real steel
Im surprised to have seen him start in so many but considering our lack of RM options and success Stevie G has enjoyed out there its not that surprising.  He has done more then capable  job and is probably holding his place now on performance. If we do manage to sign a class RM and StevieG heads back into the centre , he may get more bench /reserve time
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:25 pm

actually, its funny how many people asy sissoko is now playing like Viera did in his first season. if u rememebr back viwera was all legs and bad tackles with that edge in his first season, which momo has now got.

im not saying they are the same, but there is a similarity u cant ignore in first seasons comparatively
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:27 pm

dawson99 wrote:actually, its funny how many people asy sissoko is now playing like Viera did in his first season. if u rememebr back viwera was all legs and bad tackles with that edge in his first season, which momo has now got.

im not saying they are the same, but there is a similarity u cant ignore in first seasons comparatively

Vieira had so much more though in every area.

Vieira was a world class prospect.

Sissoko is a potentially excellent player. Nowhere near world class though and never will be.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:29 pm

im just going on the first six months i saw viera at arsenal. he was settling in and was all legs. but i admit he always had that world class manner about him.
sissoko is his own player, hes more pitbull in his approach and im excited by the prospect of him being with us for al ong time to come
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 pm

Rafa himself called Sissoko the next Viera when he signed him.
Who am I to question Rafa? Viera too, was prone to bookings and sendings off, hence his wish to leave the premiereship.
Sissoko is 20, full of energy, perhaps not well placed! The thing I like about Sissoko? When he makes a mistake, he doesn't give up, he tries to get back possession. This can lead to bookings I know, but putting him in the reserves now, will only make him restless and unhappy, now that he has had a full taste of first team footie.
In my opinion, reserve teams, in modern football, are for young talent coming through from the youth academy and for secondary covering players, just to keep their fitness levels up- on the other hand, those covering types of players are also sent out on loan, to keep the costs down for their club. Unless you are Chelsea, of course!
Therefore, Sissoko will be on the reserve bench, not the reserve team.
To say otherwise is rediculous.
As much as I agree with Stu about the old days, unfortunately they have passed.
Rafa would like to buy British, but when you get 16yr olds going for £5mill, who need nurturing, what do you do?
Don't blame Rafa, we have to all recognise this fact....LIVERPOOL ARE NOT WHAT WE WERE IN THE PAST!!

In the old days of the Eighties, players were cheap, the club was doing brilliantly, so players clamoured to play for us.
Now under Rafer, things are changing... he is designing a team that young footballers want to be a part of.
gabbyh

Postby banana » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:32 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Those are very good points about him learning a sense of authority and playing in the reserves and being used sparing in the first team will not do him any harm, but would it not be better for him to be playing “the real thing”. Sissoko is a long term project, and that why putting him in the reserves is not so farcical, but I believe it is better for his development to have him closer to the first team. Having him start 60/70 % of first team games will help him much more than playing in the reserves, if that was going to happen then it should have happened in the first month or so.

Listen lad, stop arguing... :D

No seriously....

The real thing, do you not think that he's more likely to have a poor game in the first team? If he's having a bad game and plays a shocking pass and gives a goal away, Gerrard or Carra scream at him, don't you think that would effect his confidence? I certainly do. He's not a Fowler, Rooney or Owen standard player. He's not one of them who's going to impress everyone 19 times out of 20. He could be better than the likes of Barton and Parker in a few years though and become a really good squad player.

People in general don't mature properly till about twenty-two or twenty-three. For me he should DEFINATELY be around the first team, however i just feel for confidence and full development reasons he shouldn't be a regular as yet.

I'd rather have a better player in there, IE Ballack or Joaquin. As i've said many times, i like him, he's going to be a good player, he's never going to be a Vieira or Gerrard, he's not that good but he's not bad at all.

It makes me laugh though when people say he's amoungst the best in the country.

I feel sorry for you. He can become better than Barton and Parker in a few years? And become a decent squad player?

Silly fool. He is already way better than Parker or Barton will ever be. He runs faster, moves better, is stronger in the body, has better work ethic, has better mentality (don't show up drunk for practice as Barton does a couple of times every season).  Why have we improved 200% on away games this season? It is because we have Sissoko to break down attacks and mind my word; I've never seen a player move faster across the field. He is all over the place all the time. As a defensive midfielder i rate him as second best in the league (makelele first). And the boy is only 20 years. It's frightening how accomplished he is at that age.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:34 pm

your turn stu :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion