Momo sissoko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:46 am

Playing - and indeed training - alongside Hamann, Alonso and Gerrard will do the lad no harm at all.

In the last couple of months, some of his decisions have been poor for me. With legs as long as his are, he can stay on his feet and dispossess players without lunging in quite so desperately. To be honest, a standing tackle for him can be made from as far away as many central mids can only make by sliding in. As his positioning improves, I'm positive he won't be hurtling around as dangerously as we've seen recently.

And yeah, his passing can be sloppy at times. It's not that he's not capable of putting good, incisive balls through, but there are a lot of 10 yard passes that aren't making it, and that's disappointing at this level. He's also a terrible diver. I don't know what it is about some of the African nations at the minute, but pretty much every player from that region makes a meal of every challenge made against them. And I wouldn't mind, but they're f*cking terrible at diving. All that rolling over 4 times stuff makes me cringe.

Very promising player all the same. I'd hate to be up against the guy. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Effes » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:52 am

stu_the_red wrote:
banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:He'll be a good player in a couple of years. Shown signs of promise early on. Not ready for the first team on a regular basis in my opinion but he's improving and learning.

We still need a right winger though and i am not liking what i'm hearing. (Nothing). Hopefully we can get a good one signed up before the end of January. Bullard or Pennant would be nice, Joaquin would be great. :)

Why do you keep saying he isn't ready for the first team?

He is. And not only that, he is doing a brilliant job. Probably the second best defensive midfielder in england. (only behind Makelele). So what is your problem?

He's played about 20 games.

His passing is decent, not good, somteimes its woeful, see todays game... his tactical nouse is decent, not good and his lack of common sense when tackling is frightening.

As i've said many times, he's not ready on a regular basis. He is a good prospect and has potential, he'll become a really good player in time, however he's not there yet and has a way to go. He leaves holes when he "covers" all the ground, he gives the ball away cheaply and is careless at times aswell.

Banana, you don't have high standards of players, i know that from the way you bigged up Baros, your judgement of players is poor, no doubt that isn't helped by the fact you don't go to games.

Sissoko has potential, i like him alot as a player. But learning his trade in the reserves making the odd appearance from the start and alot of sub appearances at his age won't do him any harm at all.

I'd rather see a better more complete midfielder in there with Xabi or Stevey in there with a class right winger. As for you saying he's the second best in the country thats laughable I'm affraid. He'll never be that good and isn't anywhere near the top 5 or 6 in the league, let alone the top two.

Gerrard, Alonso, Essien, Makalele, Gilberto Silva, Scholes, Lampard, Parker, Davids, Jenas and probably one or two others are better or AT LEAST as good as the lad, don't give me this garbage about him being defensive either, a centre mids a centre mid and thats that.

I see where you're coming from re. Sissoko but...

Are you pis.sed?
You're very angry.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:21 pm

He is full of energy and has telescopic-like reach with his tackes but as Stu said, he needs to improve on his common sense/decisions. Otherwise, he will get plenty of cautions and/or we may be a player down in crucial matches.

He can improve and he is at a very young age. I don't know if he will get better than Patrick Vieira in time but first of all, he needs to improve his passing.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:14 am

he must improve his passing and first touch and technical side of his game. every time he get the ball..i don know what he gonna do with it and i afraid we will lose it every time he touch the ball. he will be a useful player for us coz he always running...tackle and block opponent player. if he can move the ball better, he will become our viera.
darwisigila

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:14 am

I like Sissoko, but he always has a sh!t first touch and the only reason he doesn't lose the ball is because he has legs like linguine :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:25 am

stu_the_red wrote:
banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:He'll be a good player in a couple of years. Shown signs of promise early on. Not ready for the first team on a regular basis in my opinion but he's improving and learning.

We still need a right winger though and i am not liking what i'm hearing. (Nothing). Hopefully we can get a good one signed up before the end of January. Bullard or Pennant would be nice, Joaquin would be great. :)

He is. And not only that, he is doing a brilliant job. Probably the second best defensive midfielder in england. (only behind Makelele). So what is your problem?

His passing is decent, not good, somteimes its woeful, see todays game... his tactical nouse is decent, not good and his lack of common sense when tackling is frightening.

As i've said many times, he's not ready on a regular basis. He is a good prospect and has potential, he'll become a really good player in time, however he's not there yet and has a way to go. He leaves holes when he "covers" all the ground, he gives the ball away cheaply and is careless at times aswell.

Banana, you don't have high standards of players, i know that from the way you bigged up Baros, your judgement of players is poor, no doubt that isn't helped by the fact you don't go to games.

Sissoko has potential, i like him alot as a player. But learning his trade in the reserves making the odd appearance from the start and alot of sub appearances at his age won't do him any harm at all.

I'd rather see a better more complete midfielder in there with Xabi or Stevey in there with a class right winger. As for you saying he's the second best in the country thats laughable I'm affraid. He'll never be that good and isn't anywhere near the top 5 or 6 in the league, let alone the top two.

Gerrard, Alonso, Essien, Makalele, Gilberto Silva, Scholes, Lampard, Parker, Davids, Jenas and probably one or two others are better or AT LEAST as good as the lad, don't give me this garbage about him being defensive either, a centre mids a centre mid and thats that.

You mix good post with garbage. This is garbage. Players like Sissoko in the reserves? Are you having a laugh pal? He is one of the best defensive midfielders in europe. He stings like a bee and moves like a butterfly. No Liverpool player win more tackles or duels than him. He ain't beautiful to watch like Ronaldihno or Zidane but he win you games. Sissoko in the reserves alongside Mellor and Raven? That's a waste of talent and garbage thinking. He was a regular a a title winning spanish team, he has numerous international caps and he has bags of skills and quality for such a young lad. Rafa has time and again praised Crouch and Sissoko's physicality on away games in the league. Who is better to protect Garcia and Alonso and making them shine? Getting points away to Everton and Bolton without Sissoko? Just let it go FFS Stu.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:01 pm

banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
banana wrote:

You mix good post with garbage. This is garbage. Players like Sissoko in the reserves? Are you having a laugh pal? He is one of the best defensive midfielders in europe. He stings like a bee and moves like a butterfly. No Liverpool player win more tackles or duels than him. He ain't beautiful to watch like Ronaldihno or Zidane but he win you games. Sissoko in the reserves alongside Mellor and Raven? That's a waste of talent and garbage thinking. He was a regular a a title winning spanish team, he has numerous international caps and he has bags of skills and quality for such a young lad. Rafa has time and again praised Crouch and Sissoko's physicality on away games in the league. Who is better to protect Garcia and Alonso and making them shine? Getting points away to Everton and Bolton without Sissoko? Just let it go FFS Stu.

One of the best in Europe? :laugh:

Banana, i know you aren't from Liverpool and you've never been to a game, you don't understand the passion for the sport in this city and you clearly don't know about the past or respect it.

Now what happened, was they'd bring players in, nurture them, teach them the Liverpool way by them making the odd first team appearance and playing reserve team football, then when they're ready they make there mark. Sissoko, and anyone who goes to the game will tell you this... is rash in the tackle, seriously lacks discipline and can be very sloppy with his passing much of the time. That isn't good enough for Liverpool's first team.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:22 pm

not like banana and stu to get in an argument ???  :D

on sissoko, i like the lad but people need to remember that he's only 20 years old. he's far from the finished article but he's a vital part of the team at present until we get a right winger and can shift gerrard back to the centre.

i tell you what though. manure and arsenal would kill to have someone like him in the centre of their midfields at present.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
banana wrote:

One of the best in Europe? :laugh:

Banana, i know you aren't from Liverpool and you've never been to a game, you don't understand the passion for the sport in this city and you clearly don't know about the past or respect it.

Now what happened, was they'd bring players in, nurture them, teach them the Liverpool way by them making the odd first team appearance and playing reserve team football, then when they're ready they make there mark. Sissoko, and anyone who goes to the game will tell you this... is rash in the tackle, seriously lacks discipline and can be very sloppy with his passing much of the time. That isn't good enough for Liverpool's first team.

For what it's worth I have probably seen more football than you will ever see in your life. Live football. I have played in 3 countries myself albeit not at the highest level. I've seen live football on 3 continents and about 15 countries. So don't come here lad with your "i know everything attitude". Best game I've seen live Boca Juniors - River Plate. Worst game Chelsea - Hertha Berlin.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:34 pm

And how many Liverpool games and English premier league, first division and Championship matches, along with FA cups, champions league, Uefa cup and cup winners cup games have you been to Banana?

Players like Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Rooney, Bergkamp, Schevchenko, Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Cannavaro, Gazza, Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Keane, Beckham, Giggs, Schmeichal, Batistuta, Totti, Thruam, Candela, Terry, Gallas, Cech, Given, Shearer, Henry, Pires, Vieira, Hyypia, Carragher, Hendry, Adams, Keown, Anelka, Overmars, Petit, Kluivert, Deco, Morientes, Aimar, Vicente, Baraja, Ballack, Lucio, Kahn, Puyol, Kuffour, Tristan, Valeron... I've seen them all lad. I've seen most of them at least 5 or 6 times LIVE, then add what you see on T.V. aswell and i'd say i'm pretty well informed on what i say. Infact the only two players i've never seen live over the years who i wish i would have had the pleasure of seeing was Ronaldo and Zidane.

I've been to at least 750 games in all, i've played the game to a good standard in this country and i've coached some of the kids from the best childrens sides on merseyside if not in the country.

Our very own Steven Gerrard played for Whiston Juniors, my old team and the team i've spent the last few years coaching on occassions. Players like Lee Trundle etc have come out of there, infact, there are currently 18 players playing profession football in the top 4 leagues in this country from that club.

FA charter standard, all coaches having done FA courses and the standard and running of the club is excellent.

You'll never hear me claiming to be an expert on other countries, i'll never get into a heated debate with things i know nothing about, but football in this country and in general is something i know ALOT about.

I mean, for you to say something like Sissoko is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe, then have the cheek to boast about your "knowledge" in comparrisson to mine make you look a fool mate.

Sissoko isn't in the same class as the likes of Gerrard, Alonso, Keane, Gilberto Silva, Davids, Barton, Smertin, Essien, Makelele or even Parker. Thats this country and Scotland alone. Thats before you touch Spain with Baraja, Albelda, Xavi... then in Italy, Gattuso and Vieira.

Lad, you're talking out of your backside as usual, give it a rest and stop making yourself look silly. I know a player when i see one, Sissoko is good and has potential, he could be very good.

Your judgement of players though is shocking. Examples of players you were adamant you were correct with...

Baros better than Owen.
Hyypia one of the poorest centre halfs in the league.
Carragher an average player.
Finnan a poor right back.

Theres loads, i'll trawl through and bring them all up if you like.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby redmist » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:35 pm

because he has legs like linguine.

QUALITY :bowdown
redmist

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 pm

I have to admit i am somewhere in the middle of what the 2 of you are saying about Sissoko (thats stu & banana).
I can see Stu's point about putting players in the reserves and letting them learn there trade from senior players with more experience. The likes of Hamann Alonso and Gerrard are brilliant rolemodels with varying attributes.
It was the Liverpool way in the 70's and 80's, and it worked a treat.
But lets be honest at the moment we are not dominating virtually every competition we are entering like in the previous decades. We are on the right track an not far off, but we couldnt afford to have Sissoko in the reserves at this point, i know there is Hamann but i think Momo is more mobile and although tactically he is nowhere near the level YET of Didi i dont think there is one player in the premiership that has enjoyed playing against him.
Having said that there are times when he still makes me wince playing strange erratic passes that can put us under pressure and obviously the reckless tackles need to be watched.
But at 20 years of age he is already a very decent holding midfielder and has been a major success story so far.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:21 pm

Good thread.
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 pm

After watching Sissoko play for Valencia for 45 minutes last season I wasn’t overly impressed, he looked as though he lacked balance and brains. I even questioned whether signing a new central midfielder was really a priority, giving Hamann and Biscan extensions and using our money to strengthen other areas of our team seemed more sensible to me.

But after a couple of games I could see I was wrong, Sissoko has definitely added something different to our team. He is one of the players who enjoys it when, as I like to say “the game is bought into the sewer”. I know Gerrard, Alonso and Hamann enjoy a tackle but they are pure footballers first, they enjoy playing good football, Sissoko enjoys the battle. His ability to cover loads of ground in a concentrated area has been a great asset to us this season, no more easy ride for opposition central midfielders.

I am somewhere in between what people have said concerning how good he is. He isn’t on the same level as Gerrard, Alonso or Hamann, YET! He has only been playing in central midfield since he was 18, and it shows. He is often naïve in his tackles and passing, but his positioning is surprisingly good for such a young player. But I think putting him in the reserves would be a complete waste of time, he is too good for that level. He is in his development years now, so he should be getting 40+ starts in a season when we will be easily be playing more then 60 games.

I don’t think he will be as good as Viera if I’m being honest, he doesn’t possess the same technical ability or passing, and although he is quiet strong in the tackle and in the fight, I think he could do would some more body strength, but this may come on in the next 2 years as he is still growing.

So in conclusion, he will turn out to be a very good signing for £5MIL. He isn’t quiet what you would expect as a first team player yet but there is only one way he is going to get to the level we want him to be at. He should be playing enough first team football to aid his development, while learning from the coaches and Rafa on the training ground.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:After watching Sissoko play for Valencia for 45 minutes last season I wasn’t overly impressed, he looked as though he lacked balance and brains. I even questioned whether signing a new central midfielder was really a priority, giving Hamann and Biscan extensions and using our money to strengthen other areas of our team seemed more sensible to me.

But after a couple of games I could see I was wrong, Sissoko has definitely added something different to our team. He is one of the players who enjoys it when, as I like to say “the game is bought into the sewer”. I know Gerrard, Alonso and Hamann enjoy a tackle but they are pure footballers first, they enjoy playing good football, Sissoko enjoys the battle. His ability to cover loads of ground in a concentrated area has been a great asset to us this season, no more easy ride for opposition central midfielders.

I am somewhere in between what people have said concerning how good he is. He isn’t on the same level as Gerrard, Alonso or Hamann, YET! He has only been playing in central midfield since he was 18, and it shows. He is often naïve in his tackles and passing, but his positioning is surprisingly good for such a young player. But I think putting him in the reserves would be a complete waste of time, he is too good for that level. He is in his development years now, so he should be getting 40+ starts in a season when we will be easily be playing more then 60 games.

I don’t think he will be as good as Viera if I’m being honest, he doesn’t possess the same technical ability or passing, and although he is quiet strong in the tackle and in the fight, I think he could do would some more body strength, but this may come on in the next 2 years as he is still growing.

So in conclusion, he will turn out to be a very good signing for £5MIL. He isn’t quiet what you would expect as a first team player yet but there is only one way he is going to get to the level we want him to be at. He should be playing enough first team football to aid his development, while learning from the coaches and Rafa on the training ground.

I agree with that, however his confidence will improve playing for the reserves, it will also improve things like his passing and use of the ball. More of a chance to work on technical ability during games without pressure. He's physically very fit and he could EASILY manager 70 minutes in a reserve game once a week then 20 in a first team match.

Luke, the other thing the reserves will do will give him a sense of authority. He has good potential and become a really good player in a year or two, he's got quality and his movement is very good. I don't think sub appearances, reserve appearances and 1 start every three or four games will harm him though, infact i think it would benefit him.

Now i'm not saying he should ONLY be a reserve player, but thats where he should start and learn his trade. We've had to carry him a few times this season. In general he's been good but there has been 4 or 5 bad games. He needs to learn when to dive in to tackles, learn the correct pass and learn how to play the correct pass. He will become physically stronger aswell in time. Once he learns those few things aswell as a slight improvement to tactical knowledge we'll then have a player.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion