Momo Sissoko - Flavour of the month ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:17 pm

good player but cant ever seeing him hold down a place in the side. his first touch and passing are just not good enough
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:30 pm

taff wrote:He goes from Vieira to Carlton Palmer and back again  :D

I like the guy but was wondering, does anybody think he could become a central defender or purely a destroyer in the midfield

I'd sh'it myself if he became a central defender . Not sure how many free kicks he's had against him in his time with us (Where's Owzat and his stats when you need them) but Momo at CD would surely be a penalty seekers dream.

I don't think Momo has what it takes to ever be a Viera no matter how much he works on his game . His natural instincts and abilities however have him marked in my book as potentially a legendary midfield stopper. Tw'ats the opposition every time, gets the ball and gives it to another red shirt .a perfect shield in front of your back four. An over simplification perhaps but sometimes football is that straight forward.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Owzat wrote:
JBG wrote:
s@int wrote:He is truly a worthy part of the best midfield in the world.

With the greatest of respect to S@int and other fans who coin that phrase, that is the greatest pile of :censored: to come from us in recent years. Have people not seen our midfield give the ball away time and time again?

We have some massively good midfielders but under Benitez its still kick and rush, give the ball away like its an STD.

Until his game is more complete I will never fully accept him as a worthy Liverpool player.

thats kinda harsh mate
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Fact is, with Momo what you see is what you get.

A lot of heart, a lot of energy, a lot of tackles, and a lot of mistakes.

He may reduce the number of errors, but he will never be what he's not - a complete midfielder.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 pm

I like Sissoko, he does what he is told to do and he does it effectively and with the utmost simplicity.

However I’m more comfortable with Mascherano playing than Sissoko and it will take more than one superb game in a long time to change such an opinion.

Mash has all the abilities that Momo possesses and Mash has better ability IMO. Mash is a footballer and a competent one at that, he is far superior to Sissoko in the football sense.

Therefore, I cannot see Sissoko holding down a regular first team place in the team.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby maguskwt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:31 pm

he's nowhere near didi hamann yet...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:32 pm

The lad has obviously been working on passing, seems to favour stabbing the ball with the outside of his foot into space, instep passes still seem dodgy, but that and shooting aside, he has looked a class act, I think when he gets the ball in crowded situations he immediately looks for an out (foul) which is a shame, because i am sure if he worked on his control he could simply beat them and lay the ball off ala Hamann. We really do have the best midfeild in the world.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby dawson99 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 pm

micha richards has been bigging up hamman today on his bbcsports site saying how under rated the guy is.

Momo is nowhere yet (i still say that there wasnt that much diff between did and viera in the defensive side anyhoo) but he is getting better all the time and is always learning. plus some of his shots crease me up
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:46 pm

maguskwt wrote:he's nowhere near didi hamann yet...

They're totally different types of player.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:48 pm

I didn't intend this post as a better than thread but as a celebration that Momo seems to have found some form and is slowly returning to favour amongst our supporters after a bit of a torrid time at the end of last season. He seems to have gained some composure, without losing the essential Momo qualities of hard work, strong tackles and hard strong running, long may it continue.

I think Leon made a very good point about his confidence returning and with it his form.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:33 pm

One thing that has impressed me about Sissoko, and for that matter Mascherano and Benayoun, is that they could have done poor matches and one could say quite fairly "it's normal, they haven't competition rythm, they need matches".

But for some reason Sissoko hasn't been played continuously, and yet, everytime he appeared he did more than a decent job, and that's remarkable.

And if I may say that, it gives credit to Rafa. I've read somewhere that Manchester's subs were beaten 0-2 by Coventry. Our team, with players coming fron injury, with players with men that are not regulars, managed to provide service to Torres good enough to make 3 goals, and another 4th one. As a team, we did a decent performance.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:29 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
maguskwt wrote:he's nowhere near didi hamann yet...

They're totally different types of player.

even though i know where you may be coming from, pls elaborate why you think they're TOTALLY different types of player.

To me they seem to be similar even though not Identical. First of all they play similar roles in the team. They both win the ball from the opponent; they're both there to cut off the passes from opponents; and they both spray short passes to teammates.

Only Hamann did it alot better. He may not have the physical dynamism of Momo but he read the game alot better. He knows WHEN and HOW to press forward and put pressure on the opponent: when Momo does it he seems to be just trying to run through a gap without much purpose in the end. His short pass distribution is almost perfect: same can't be said for Momo. He VERY rarely loses the ball and the opponents usually find it very difficult to dispossess him: same can't be said for Momo. You can see that when he came on for the CL final he totally stabilised our midfield and distributed well (I mention this because this was his last contribution to the club... when he was playing regularly he almost always give this kind of quality): again same can't be said for Momo.

If they're totally different types of players it's because Momo hasn't reached that kind of level of contribution yet.

Don't get me wrong... Momo is still young and he can still improve alot... if he can match hamann with that kind of stability, distribution and holding play on a consistent basis he can even be better than hamann given his better physical qualities (then perhaps we can compare him to Viera). But right now he's just not there yet.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion