Milan baros - The jury's out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:45 am

Well it was the most obvious thing to come from the defeat to Bolton...

On many occasions Milan Baros was given the ball in a 1-2 situation and in each time instead of giving the ball back he took 1 or 2 touches himself and either lost it or tried a shot which was blocked. The frustration of Garcia and Cisse was VERY evident, with all the arm gestures and shouting...

...But Baros seemed to not take any notice, almost in a "I'll do it my way" attitude.

This also became apparent when Baros had a header from a good cross on the right. The Commentators rightly pointed out that when Baros headed over not only did he not look too bothered again but also didn't seem to express any disappointment in his failings... it was summed up like this:

Baros appeared to have the attitude of "If i score everyone will be happy with me and if i don't at least I can say i had an effort..." but the fact is he should be thumping the ground and trying to think of how he could do better next time, instead of doing nothing.

OK Baros runs a lot, has a lot of dangerous attributes but ffs, i'd rather have Heskey doing the running because at least he would pass to another striker.

It comes down to passion and brains. Baros seems to have very little passion for LFC, more of a passion for his own glory and his footballing brain is one of the most basic kind.

This is not a slagging match at Baros, i am not saying he should be sold/dropped but I am saying that there is an obvious problem that needs addressing, hopefully all parties involved will do the right thing.

I felt sorry for Garcia on Sunday, he looked too good for Baros, he looked frustrated of how poor Baros's link-up play was. Garcia was probably the best player on the pitch as even Stevie G was poor. Hopefully we will improve these areas of concern.

This made it even more obvious that we need another striker before the deadline but this doesn't seem likely at the moment.

:(  :(  :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:53 am

unfortunatly I think we should of let Baros go in the summer.
He appears greedy at times. shame.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:59 am

I have to say St Michael I am dissapointed in you. I never had you down as the type to push the panic button.

I watched the game, and true it was a little dissapointing, but to blame Baros for the defeat is laughable.

Milan will be the first to admit he has areas in his game he needs to work on, distribution being one, but I feel he has improved this from last year. He used to really frustrate with his head down running, and I think he has improved this a little.

Rome was not built in a day, Rafa clearly thinks that he has the makings of a top class forward, and beleives he can mould him into the quality player he wants, this was hihlighted by the fact that no real replacement was purchased for your namesake.

I dont think we should be expecting miracles, nor should we blame one player for the teams performance. If the linesman had been wearing his glasses, and Luis-G's goal stood, would you have posted this rant ?

I think not.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:01 pm

I was hoping that a decent run in the starting 11 might have allowed Baros to finally show us what a good player he is but unfortunately all we are seeing is how limited he really is.
Lack of awareness and the inability to go past people are just two of his "talents" that are constantly displayed. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Hamza » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:06 pm

No baros will get better. I think heis desperate to show the premiership what he can do like he did in the Euro he is a good player and I am sure he will bounce back plus Rafa will have noticed this and givin him a talking 2 i hope
Hamza

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:06 pm

Not just Baros but there does seem to be a lack of pride and heart doing the rounds at Anfield at the moment!
Just look at HK!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:08 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I have to say St Michael I am dissapointed in you. I never had you down as the type to push the panic button.

I watched the game, and true it was a little dissapointing, but to blame Baros for the defeat is laughable.

Milan will be the first to admit he has areas in his game he needs to work on, distribution being one, but I feel he has improved this from last year. He used to really frustrate with his head down running, and I think he has improved this a little.

Rome was not built in a day, Rafa clearly thinks that he has the makings of a top class forward, and beleives he can mould him into the quality player he wants, this was hihlighted by the fact that no real replacement was purchased for your namesake.

I dont think we should be expecting miracles, nor should we blame one player for the teams performance. If the linesman had been wearing his glasses, and Luis-G's goal stood, would you have posted this rant ?

I think not.

I dont think he was blaming him for the defeat!
But  just pointing out some of his short comings in the game!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:09 pm

Redtribe wrote:Not just Baros but there does seem to be a lack of pride and heart doing the rounds at Anfield at the moment!

that's what i mean. i'm not blaming milan baros for the defeat on sunday. i just get the vibes that he doesn't want to be playing for lfc. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Shanti » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:12 pm

Baros is class
But not a big star yet
He played fantastically as none aware he would make such big impacts
People learn, they're getting aware of every progress in the world of football, including baros improvement
People have started to notice him more intensely, they wouldn't let him unassistedly then.
When this happen you can actually assess baros' real ability.
you could see it happened lately in the bolton match
He is good, but not a superstar yet. He couldn't manage the ball to get through when the space was closed

They didn't too concentrate to stop baros in the last europe2004
Nedved etc. broke the barricade, baros ran to respond to the mature ball, goal created.

The higher a tree the stronger the wind.
LOVE
SHANTI WULANSARI
Shanti

Postby whylongball? » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:15 pm

Baros is not world class, he's good and there is lots of room for improvement. I must admit he frustrated me with his poor link up play last game. But pls don't condemn him yet. He at least tries. Hopefully the boss will sit down and talk to him abt certain things.
Calm down guys  :;):
whylongball?

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:36 pm

Like many off his teammates he needs a bit of time to settle in the team. I think Baros makes a great effort, running almost constantly. Imo he runs a bit too much, wasting his energy on his long runs. I think he should leave more of the running to his teammates and spending more time around the box in place for finishing.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:08 pm

stmichael wrote:It comes down to passion and brains. Baros seems to have very little passion for LFC, more of a passion for his own glory and his footballing brain is one of the most basic kind.

Im sorry, but this thread is completely analogous to the recent Rafa threads.

The jurys out on Baros?

The jurys out on every player barr maybe Stevie Gerrard and Sami Hyypia. Thats because its the start of the season and our team has changed radically since last year.

Poor link up play with Garcia? Thats because its their first match together. Same with Alonso and almost with Cisse.

"I'll do it my way" and running instead of passing? He's an out and out striker - his main aim in life should be to score goals. That was one of the big problems with Emile Heskey.

In a team he was familiar with he scored plenty of goals this summer past.

If the fans start getting at him already, his confidence drops, he plays worse, we do worse.

If he's not scoring and shows no understanding with the rest of the team towards the end of the season judge him then.

Right now, give him a chance!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:17 pm

His awareness and link up play is poor, theres no doubt if we craete the chances he will tuck them away but he like everyone else is going to need time. Imagine your him, Owen leaves and he wants to fill his boots, how big are them boots. Massive and were already comparing him. Imust admit I havnt been convinced but it looks likely that what we have is what were going to have until at least Xmas, theres nowt we can do but offer our support and make them boots as small as possible. Hes only young too.
However if Rafa is going to play that system again IMO Cisse would be a better option.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:18 pm

mynameisred wrote:Imagine your him, Owen leaves and he wants to fill his boots, how big are them boots.

exactly. milan baros will never be in the same class as michael owen, simple as.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:29 pm

stmichael wrote:
mynameisred wrote:Imagine your him, Owen leaves and he wants to fill his boots, how big are them boots.

exactly. milan baros will never be in the same class as michael owen, simple as.

I think that the comparison with Owen is a bit unfair; Owen is in another division no doubt about that, but comparing the pairing of Owen/Heskey and Baros/Cissè, I think the two last mentioned are going to score more than Owen/Heskey did ???
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion