Milan baros...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:02 pm

Anyone who thinks he is not the player he was should look at his record. Owen's goal tally has gone from 23, 23 (then the hamstring injury-hit season), then 24, 28 and 28. Last season it was 19, but he was only two goals short, with 17, of his best league total, despite missing a quarter of the league campaign and playing in a team lacking direction and nowhere near as good as the top sides (who were an embarrassing 15-30 points ahead); and also a side that didn't progress in any of the cups (and these days he doesn't line up against the poor sides in the League Cup, where he would score hat-tricks in his early years).

The Liverpool side during recent seasons has played to some of his strengths (long quick passes) but also failed to deliver a variety of chances - no one gets to the byline to pull the ball back, for example, and there have been too few hard-and-low crosses from either flank. The style of play became increasingly predictable, making it easier to stop him. Yet still he scored at the same impressive ratio. And still he more-often-than-not scores in the big games - he has his entire career. It is a mark of his quality. He will never be the best striker in the world; but he will always be in and around the top ten.

He'll never be the best in the world? I agree with most of the post but not that statement. At the end of that treble season and into the start of the next season he was unstoppable and went on a run of 29 goals from 24 games.... name another striker who's done something as impressive as that over a period as long as that? He built his confidence up and looked the 100% complete player. He then fired a blank against Fulham after trying to single handedly win us the game by ripping them to shreds then the game after he picked up an injury. Since then he's never shown the same FORM... the ABILITY is CLEARLY still there... its just a question of confidence and the team he's playing in.

stmichael, be realistic. Really look at the tapes of Owen's performance that past two seasons and then tells us if you don't notice the difference to the Owen we once knew. This guys keep blaming the team for poor results and give credit to Owen amidst it all. Tell me was the team holding Owen when he was kicking penalties? I guess not. A great player is one that carries the team not one that blames the team for a poor season. Gerrard can get credit because his involvement was visible million miles away. I bet Owen has got his tail between the legs after the EURO. There was too much fuss about him leaving the club, guess what, the offers were not coming anymore after EURO. He retracted into his shell. I really hope he will come up shining but please guys don't try convince us that Owen is as good as two seasons ago. I know he's human too and a fallible one for that matter

Thats simply ******. The ability is clearly still all there. He's still lightening quick, a lethal finisher with either foot and his head, intelligent running, good passing, excellent skill and dribbling and good technique. He's simply lost form and confidence. It only takes a good pass from a team mate and him to score a good goal to get that arrogance back. Confidence can change very quickly and over the last two seasons Owen's form suffered because he lost confidence in the side he was playing in... and rightly so. Under Benitez this WILL change and he will shove every word back down the idiots throats. Next season Banana... i hope you've got the decency to admit you know nothing about football when Owen starts single handedly ripping teams to shreds again.
115-1073096938

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:11 pm

Baros has scored 21 goals in 31 internationals.  If he can transfer that form to the premiership we'd be laughing.  Please god Owen will return to form as it's time he started contributing over 30 goals a season if he wants to rate alongside Van Nistlerooy and Henry.  If we are to win the premiership we need a lethal goal poacher, whether it be Baros, Cisse or Owen.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby ckay » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:13 pm

I don't who of the 3 score the goals. I'd love all of them to be in foem and fighting for a place, trading goal for goal!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:17 pm

Is the prospect of all three playing in the one team out of the question ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:17 pm

I really hoped that with a more attack-minded formation, we will finally see the real Owen shine. For Owen to show what he can do, he need to 1) hit a couple early on in the season 2) regain full fitness 3) get rid of the thought about ever leaving LFC. A Michael Owen in full flow is a sight to behold. The team has suffered greatly under GH's questionable tactics and formation, none more than poor old Mikey. I am optimistic he will be better used by RB.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 pm

Stu: don't come to me with complaints about a post from African-red. I can't take any responsibility for his comments.

I said:
You say about Baros
1. What did he show in the Euro's we haven't already seen?

I agree that we to some extent have seen his abilities in a red shirt. Alas, he was not allowed to shine for us since Foolier used out of form players ahead of him. If he scores for fun against Germany and Holland. I think he might score a few against Porthsmouth.

2. You Say
All this talk of him starting the season ahead of Owen is nonsense. It should be between Cisse and Baros who partners Owen.

This is ******. Let the manager decide who to play. Get behind the team. And what do you have against Baros?

3. Then you say
When you start the season everyone starts on an equal. You pick your best players for the first game as they could start the season in blistering form. If after a few games they aren't performing thats when its time to ring the changes.

This is very true. But it is also a contradiction to your previous statements since you favor certain players anyway.

And:

you also say about Owen:The ability is clearly still all there. He's still lightening quick, a lethal finisher with either foot and his head, intelligent running, good passing, excellent skill and dribbling and good technique. He's simply lost form and confidence.

What games have you been watching? You must have mistaken Liverpool for Arsenal and Owen for Thierry Henry?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby ckay » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:21 pm

Sean wrote:Is the prospect of all three playing in the one team out of the question ?

I don't know if we can accomodate three out and out strikers.

What formation were you thinking of?
a 3-4-3, 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 3-4-2-1?
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:12 pm

you also say about Owen:The ability is clearly still all there. He's still lightening quick, a lethal finisher with either foot and his head, intelligent running, good passing, excellent skill and dribbling and good technique. He's simply lost form and confidence.

What games have you been watching? You must have mistaken Liverpool for Arsenal and Owen for Thierry Henry?

No i was at the matches (something you wouldn't know anything about) and was watching the Michael Owen who scored a controlled volley with power from an angle into the net against leeds... The Michael Owen that skins defenders and gets shots in on target... The Michael Owen who chases a ball he had no right to get to and saw before anyone else did then set up Hamanns volley against Portsmouth with a cushioned cross/pass... the Michael Owen who makes outstanding early runs and scores against teams like Arsenal for fun.... The Michael Owen who controls 60 yard passes out of the air while being man handled and skinning to defenders while bringing the ball down (see the last game of the season against newcastle)... the Michael Owen who reads a defenders mistake sensing a goal scoring oppurtunity before swiveling and firing a stinging shot into the net from about 8 yards... the SAME Michael Owen that single handedly won us an FA cup.

You want me to go on? because i'll be here all friggin nite. Typical foreign racist idiot who doesn't like the fact he's an english superstar and one of the worlds best players.

If you had ever been to a game you'd see Owens class. He stands out like a sore thumb along with Gerrard and Hyypia. He's also got the common sense to play on defenders shoulders which does not allow them to push up and allows us alot more space to play in. Just because we don't have the players to utilise that isn't Owen's fault.

Get a clue lad or "support" someone else.
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:18 pm

Stu, cool down. Calling me a racist now? You must be having a bad week. You seem to take things personally all the time. Accept and expect people to disagree with you. What is the point in having a discussion board when everybody agree? You should cherish and respect freedom of speech.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:19 pm

banana wrote:What games have you been watching? You must have mistaken Liverpool for Arsenal and Owen for Thierry Henry?

Thierry Henry's arrival in England has had something to do with seeing Owen in a lesser light, but comparisons are rather disingenuous. Henry is a better footballer than Owen can ever hope to be (or any other striker in the world can, for that matter) - Henry is three players rolled into one; but both men are great finishers with different styles - and Owen has arguably had far inferior service for his goals; inarguably, Owen has been in the inferior side (Liverpool never having finished above Arsenal in Owen's career). Michael has had more injury problems, and fewer creative players feeding him chances. Owen doesn't have Henry's physical gifts: Henry's much longer legs are stronger over greater distances; for every two strides Owen takes, Henry only needs one-and-a-half. Thierry can afford to glide past players, whereas Michael has to pump his legs like crazy to generate his pace.

Despite all this, only one of these men has won the European Footballer of the Year (although how Henry didn't win it this year, i'll never know).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fritzylfc » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:14 pm

bennie will decide who plays with who , he s spoiled for choice as far as forwards go. the problems lie in defence and midfield with a total lack of skill and pace that is where bennie should be looking.
fritzylfc

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:22 pm

I totally agree with the last comment, most of the recent threads on the forum have been debates on strikers or have turned in to debates on strikers, but i think we should be grateful to have three great strikers at last and should sit back and enjoy some of the great football goals i am expecting (hopefully) they will score, i think the arguments for are team must lie with the keeper defense and midfield and whos gonna come in and whos gonna play there.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:32 pm

You want me to go on? because i'll be here all friggin nite. Typical foreign racist idiot who doesn't like the fact he's an english superstar and one of the worlds best players.

Get a bloody grip lad...your opinion is not the only one that matter. Half the forumer here thinks Owen has lost it, the other half think he is still world class. Me, I see class in a man who have lost half a yard of pace and don't freighten the defenders like he used to. So what? When Owen missed a sitter, we all cursed. When he scored, we jump for joy. Your opinion is no better than the rest, local or foreign alike. I used to watch 3~4 games a season at Anfield and most of the games in London, but I am half the world away now so only TV will do for me. I don't think you missed much of the action watching on TV. You don't get instant replay, different viewing angle etc at matches. Don't tell me...I am not interested in which ball he scratches when the camera is not on him. At then end, the result speaks for himself (which is why Heskey is shipped out) Owen is still 20+ goals a season striker. Thing is the rest of the team have to shape up for him to hit 30 a season. Now we have 3 class strikers so competition is hot. Whoever delivers get to start, whether your are an Englishman, French or Czech!
Stop being such a pompous @ss for once...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:21 pm

Yeah, exactly, he's a 20 goal a season striker in a side that finishes 4th and doesn't have decent supply and had an oaf for a strike partner yet idiots like Banana think that because he's lost half a yard of pace he's useless... ???
115-1073096938

Postby taff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:34 pm

Alright Stu I kinda agre wth you abut Owen but what d you reckon are his weak points then?  He does get a hard time off some members and it cant be that they all just wanna argue with you 

:D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion