Milan baros - Kop hero?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby XSD » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:17 am

No silly rumours or anything, but there has been a lot of "Milan Baros isn't worthy" or "he's going to move in the Summer" and "what are you on about he's our top goalscorer" etc.
Lets clarify our opinions on the guy.
The facts are he was the most effective striker in Euro 2004, a major international competition, he is also our current top scorer.
However I don't think he has grabbed his opportunity this season with both hands. We all wanted to see more of him and the only thing stopping him from playing has been a couple of injuries.
He is not the next Michael Owen, unfortunately. He is a good player, I like him and am an admirer. If we had some world class wingers then maybe we wouldn't need a player like Owen or Henry or RVN. Chelsea don't have a 20 goal per season striker but they have Duff and Robben.

I don't see Baros as a long term solution or a 'piece of the jigsaw' as it were, to building a title winning and Europe-dominating team.

Et tu?
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:21 am

I think Milan has made it quite clear that if he isn't regular first-choice striker then he will leave. He has made no secret of his dream of playing for Barcelona, and if Cisse comes back and hits form then Baros will find it increasingly diffcilut to get the amount of football he desires at the club.

Milan is a very good player, but I think if we were to sign a player of real quality lke Torres or something, he would no longer have a future at the club.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:16 am

I think we should consider looking at Baptista who plays for Sevilla, he's quite a talented player. I believe he's scored somewhere near to twenty goals already.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:14 pm

Think baros will be on his bike soon

Shame, as i like him as a player, but don't like his tantrums and don't think rafa appreciates them either
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Baros is a decent striker but not up there with the best(Not on current Form for LFC anyway) He isn't aware of players around him, he runs into a deadend too often when a better option would be to pass . I agree that if Cisse hits a run of form next year Baros won't get a look in.

As well as that his tantrums can only be disruptive to the team so i think it may be time for him to go in the Summer
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:16 pm

if baros was ever going to become a hero then the juventus game is the time to do it. he's playing against two of the best in cannavaro and thuram.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby NCRedFan7 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:05 pm

He scores, but I would actually like to see the stats on how many times he has been in a prime striking position and failed to make a play.  We get him plenty of chances, so he should be cashing a MUCH higher percentage.  That's my only beef.

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby Paul C » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Milan is top scorer cos he's the only one not inhured :;):

Give Mori a few season next year and he'll bang in 15+ goals and with Cisse fit I think they will form a really good partnership :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eazy-E » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:28 pm

LiverpoolFan00 wrote:Baros is a decent striker but not up there with the best(Not on current Form for LFC anyway)

Not on LFC form...not on LFC form. You are an idiot. Liverpool are ****** at the moment. We ain't the LFC of Bob and Bill anymore ******. He is the best goalscorer we have. Cisse did'nt do ****** for us. That ****** about him quitting is paper talk.

Milan to stay.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

''I kick :censored: and i take names. You're in my pocket. Shut your mouth. Rest your gums. I own you bitch.''
Eazy-E

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:22 pm

Not good enough, get rid. I personally think Sinama-Pongolle is a better player.
115-1073096938

Postby LFCFan4Life » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:04 pm

I personally think Sinama-Pongolle is a better player.

When Sinama Pongolle wins a golden boot then you can state that but until then Milan Baros > Pongolle.

Baros on the other hand needs to prove himself ASAP. He wanted us to draw Juve well he got his wish so  he better score some goals.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:17 pm

With Moro, Pongolle & Cisse there's clearly a whole lot more to come, what we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of talent & ability.

With Baros however I get the impression that we are seeing him at his limits already and as much as I like the guy, I don't think he could ever be more than 3rd choice striker in a full-strength Liverpool side

Sure he gives 110% on the field but he's started to whinge off the field and just isn't quite good enough

I'd like to keep him but if he's going to moan then I say offload him cos we'd get a decent price
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:19 pm

Spot on.

He's one of the ones who isn't good enough imo.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:59 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Not good enough, get rid. I personally think Sinama-Pongolle is a better player.

kind of agree with that. kind of...

maybe baros is still, on balance, a better striker. he has experience and that golden boot isn't attached to his name for nothing. though on recent form and looking towards the future i'm  a lot more excited about whats to come from pongo than seeing milan running into more dead ends.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:30 am

There is no doubt that Baros is a good athlete, he can run all day.  But I think his failings as a striker, out weigh his determination.  He lacks the ability to lift his head and see players in better positions.  He isn't a poacher, following in on the keeper, after a shot by Morientes, Garcia etc. And he isn't that prolific a goalscorer, with 8 goals from 15 games, while Henry is 17 goals from 22 matches.

But, this said, he is not the only problem.  All our forwards should be blamed for not been "killer" enough:

Luis Garcia  2 goals from 17 games
Mellor 2 from 9
Sinama - Pongolle 1 from 13
etc...etc...

We make the chances (less since Alsonso got injured) but we haven't a "killer" since Owen left.

Maybe with Cisse next year it will be different - but then, he hardly set the place alight before his injury
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion