Milan baros - Deserves a chance to be first choice?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:55 am

I have seen the games played by the Checks and Milan Baros has been on fire with his displays, and scored twice and help set up a couple of goals.

He is talented, as we have all seen, yet not given enough of a run in the frist team at Liverpool. Surely, now he should get a starting role next season.

I am sure Benitez will change the style of play to give better service to the strikers and this should suit the likes of Baros. Makes me wonder why we paid 14 million for Cisse. I just hope he will not be an extravagant waste of money.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:32 am

Baros is an excellent palyer and has a bright future ahead of him. I don't see having a good choice of strikers is a problem, to me Cisse, Pongolle, Baros and Owen represents some excellent options for Benitez.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Rafa's a shrewd coach and he'll be watching Baros of course.  I don't see why anyone would be complaining about having three top class strikers.  The more selection headaches the better as it means you're a side with more higher quality players.  That Owen, Baros and Cisse will be competiting with each other for places is a good thing as long as whichever pairing plays, they work as a partnership.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:08 pm

Baros should be in the first team anyway, he plays there regularly for the internaional side.

Id play Baros and Cisse up front. Benitez said that when he was at Valencia, he was considering buying him cause someone told him that if he bought Cisse he would win la liga for another 3 years. sounds promising!

Id also consider selling Owen before stevie G too, as he's often non existent.

Id also go for Pavel Nedved, and Damien Duff. two great signings. We'd get nedved for less than 15 million, and duff for the same i reckon off chelsea if they are clearing out. you never know, Nedved might fancy LFC cause of Baros playing here, plus the new boss. theres the 30 million owen money spent!
84-1083280474

Postby Sean » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:48 pm

I saw Baros last night against the Dutch and the thought of him partnering Cisse up front with Kewell being given an out and out attacking role on the left seems interesting.  If Owen goes and if we get 25 million for him we should buy a world class centre half with the cash.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:37 pm

We need 4 good strikers.

Cisse and Owen are better than Baros.

Baros is a good player, he isn't world class... he isn't even top class. At the moment he isn't good enough.

If any of you actually noticed, in the first game he lost the ball under stupid circumstances that cost his team a goal.

He has alot of learning to do before we can consider him as a long term replacement for Owen.
115-1073096938

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:55 pm

With Champions league football next season there should be more than enough games to satisfy Cisse, Owen and Baros. Owen will sign for another year or maybe 2 imo. It may have been different if he was setting EURO 2004 alight but that isn't happening.

I imagine Baros is doing a lot to impress Rafa at the Euros. I hope he keeps scoring as i have a fiver on him for the Golden Boot!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:01 pm

TheHustler wrote:theres the 30 million owen money spent!

Liverpool wont get £30 million for owen,not the way he is playing at the moment ,more like half that ,and thats only because of his name.I am not having a go at owen either because i think he will come good again soon.
jack66

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:15 pm

stu_the_red wrote:We need 4 good strikers.

Cisse and Owen are better than Baros.

Baros is a good player, he isn't world class... he isn't even top class. At the moment he isn't good enough.

If any of you actually noticed, in the first game he lost the ball under stupid circumstances that cost his team a goal.

He has alot of learning to do before we can consider him as a long term replacement for Owen.

"Baros isn't even top class."..........

He destroyed japp stamp and company and he isn't top class....? And Owen did not even get a look in against the swiss.  I am not anti-owen. It is just that he has gone thru 2 yrs of bad patch, that it makes me wonder when, if at all will be get back to his 2001/2002 form.

If houllier just had the balls to play baros instead of 11 million dollar flop heskey, we might have won the uefa cup.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:15 pm

If someone offered 20 million for owen i think would take it.Let's be honest he's not in the same class as van nistleroy or henry.
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:26 pm

kenco wrote:If someone offered 20 million for owen i think would take it.Let's be honest he's not in the same class as van nistleroy or henry.

yes, me too. 6 mths ago, i would have been happy with 30 million. 1 yr ago, i would have never swapped owen with anyone. you can see how my opinion is changing every few months..........with every match he plays.

If we are to stick with owen, then we must also cater for his annual 2 to 3 mths lay off. Do we really want that ?
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:34 pm

i dont even think he is rooneys class at the moment, he needs to do more.
i think we have seen the best of owen.

van nistlerooy, henry and rooney offer more than just scoring a goal.

baros is world class though
84-1083280474

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:43 pm

Owen's form has generally not been vintage all last season and it didn't help with the way England are playing at the moment where he is isolated and get next to no service. Whenever he does get to chase a ball, he has not shown the quick feet of two seasons ago.

Based on these performances, do you really think any club would offer anywhere near 20 million for him at this moment? A few good performances will change that though, but it is hard to envisage given the way England prefer to operate right now.

Baros has shown that he is class and he should feature more often in the LFC side in the future as compared to how Houller used to deploy his services.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:58 pm

"Baros isn't even top class."..........

He destroyed japp stamp and company and he isn't top class....? And Owen did not even get a look in against the swiss.  I am not anti-owen. It is just that he has gone thru 2 yrs of bad patch, that it makes me wonder when, if at all will be get back to his 2001/2002 form.

If houllier just had the balls to play baros instead of 11 million dollar flop heskey, we might have won the uefa cup.

He isn't top class. His decisions on when to hold the ball up and when to keep moves flowing aren't good. Infact sometimes he can be extremely frustrating to watch. His first touch is very erratic even when he's on top of his game and he plays with his head down. His defensive play is poor aswell and he has a tendancy to run down blind ally's alot. He'll never be in Owen's class. He is however a very good player and one we should keep at anfield. Maybe one day he'll be able to replace Owen (when Michael moves on) but that day isn't in the near future and anyone who thinks it has been wrongly informed.

Despite Owen's lack of form and poor seasons over the last two campaignes (which we will mostly agree, he has been off form) he's still managed 47 goals from 92 games. 5 games coming off the bench.

Thats still better than 1 goal every 2 games.

Hustler, not on this earth is Baros in van Nistlerooys, Henrys, Schevchenko's, Raul's or Ronaldo's class. To suggest he's even near any of those players in terms of ability is insanity.
115-1073096938

Postby kenco » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:07 pm

Owen won't be at anfield much longer. And lets face it with his contrubtion to the team over the last two seasons he will hardly be missed.He is world class, a world class goal hanger, who gives little else to the team!!
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion