Michael owen - Will he ever return?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:59 pm

I have read with great interest on this site, all the posts involving Owen coming back. I was just wondering what the general feeling on this is.

I never thought we would see Owen back at Anfield after the summer fiasco with him and Real Madrid. However I never in my wildest dreams, ever thought that God could or would come back to Anfield!!

I would love Owen back, in these times of not having a reliable goal-scorer( Fowler is still getting fit), he seems to be the missing link that would of seen us get results at Birmingham, Man Utd, etc. He is a proven goal scorer, one of the best in the business and he is exactly what we are crying out for. I know Rafa and Rick tried to sign him in summer and although I would never criticise the club, I feel deep down, we could of done more to get him.

Maybe we didn't have the money to get him, but we should do in the summer, we will have had a great run in two cups(were not going out to Birmingham or Benfica). And a pacy striker is high on the priorities. Cisse and Moro will probably get shipped out also.

I am very worried that Newcastle just won't let him leave though. A lot of people have mentioned he has some sort on Min Fee release in his contract, does anyone know this for sure?

However badly run Newcastle is, I cant believe they would allow this in his contract. I hope Owen does come back home, we need him, he will push us up yet another level.

Your thoughts are appreciated....
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:03 pm

i believe Owen will return for 10 million in the Summer. 

Newcastle is a mess that won't be getting better anytime soon.  They will do well to finish in the top 10 and Owen will want Champions league football after the world cup.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FeDe!!! -lariano- » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:13 pm

I think that now Owen isn't the Owen of last seasons...
COMO IN MY HEART!!!

... e canteremo dalle gradinate... la nostra fede non l'arrestate!!!
FeDe!!! -lariano-

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:20 pm

FeDe!!! -lariano- wrote:I think that now Owen isn't the Owen of last seasons...

Oh....
115-1073096938

Postby drummerphil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:22 pm

How the :censored: have you worked that out oh wise bástard,,,,,,,

he gets injured when he joins Newcastle,then comes back and scores about 9 goals in 8 games,then breaks his leg......

some :censored: shíte on here is unreal
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Forget Owen. He screwed us not once but twice. The first time he walked out on Rafa and the second tim he refused to playthe ball on Rafas terms and chose Newcastle. He said that day on SSN he is there for the duration at Newcastle. Im sure his agents will try and flash him around in an attempt to reignite his career but if anyting happens i think it will be after the world cup. Iveheard that if he goes thi year he will be available for 10Mil but next year it will be 8Mil. I think if he did leave it would turn into nothing more than a calling for Freddy Sheperds head after wasting 16Million on him. it all depends also on if they win the FA cup this year. He is there after all to win tropheys.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:27 pm

bavlondon wrote:Forget Owen. He screwed us not once but twice. The first time he walked out on Rafa and the second tim he refused to playthe ball on Rafas terms and chose Newcastle. He said that day on SSN he is there for the duration at Newcastle. Im sure his agents will try and flash him around in an attempt to reignite his career but if anyting happens i think it will be after the world cup. Iveheard that if he goes thi year he will be available for 10Mil but next year it will be 8Mil. I think if he did leave it would turn into nothing more than a calling for Freddy Sheperds head after wasting 16Million on him. it all depends also on if they win the FA cup this year. He is there after all to win tropheys.

i bet he has his farewell speach already written.....

"after playing in the World Cup, i've reaslised i need to be playing at a higher level....blar blar, champions league....blar blar....bye"

:D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:27 pm

What a load of :censored:. As phil said, he came back from injury to score 9 goals and he scored 2 goals in the game against Argentina to win us a game we were outplayed in.

Last season for Real Madrid, he was on the bench most of the time but when he got his chance he scored goals.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:30 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Forget Owen. He screwed us not once but twice. The first time he walked out on Rafa and the second tim he refused to playthe ball on Rafas terms and chose Newcastle. He said that day on SSN he is there for the duration at Newcastle. Im sure his agents will try and flash him around in an attempt to reignite his career but if anyting happens i think it will be after the world cup. Iveheard that if he goes thi year he will be available for 10Mil but next year it will be 8Mil. I think if he did leave it would turn into nothing more than a calling for Freddy Sheperds head after wasting 16Million on him. it all depends also on if they win the FA cup this year. He is there after all to win tropheys.

i bet he has his farewell speach already written.....

"after playing in the World Cup, i've reaslised i need to be playing at a higher level....blar blar, champions league....blar blar....bye"

:D

I suppose now that Gods back, he Carra and Stevie could twist his arm into it.   :D

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:36 pm

I think it is almost a certainty that he will leave Newcastle in the Summer, but less of a sure thing that we will sign him. Shepherd has dug really deep for the barcodes and whoever the new manager is is likely to be told that he must release some funds from the existing squad before he buys. Owen is reportedly on 5.5 million a year and has a four year contract so if they could get 12 mill for him, it would seem like an easy way of releasing 25-30 million quid. Given his injury record Shepherd may see him as another Woodgate waiting to happen and will be keen to realise his worth particularly if the wee fella has a decent World Cup.
I think there is a distinct possibility that Henri will leave Arsenal in the Summer and Wenger may feel like an Owen/Van Persie partnership is his best bet of doing something at the new stadium. I'm still not convinced that Rafa sees Owen as part of his ideal team.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 pm

I wouldn't sign him without seeing him play for a month or so once he's recovered from his latest injury. I'd be interested to see how many games he's missed due to injuries over the last three years, as it's something any manager would have to weigh up when coming up with a fee. You can't pay £17m for someone that's almost certainly going to miss a quarter of your fixtures. If you're lucky.

Eventually, he's the kind of player that is going to suffer quite badly once his pace starts going into decline, and every injury will make inroads into it. Unlike Shearer, who is still great in the air and is excellent at holding up the ball, or Fowler who has tricks up his sleeve, an excellent first touch and good passing range, Owen is going to be shown up quite badly once his main weapon stops working for him. Yes, he'll still be able to find space and beat offside because he's one of the best in the business at that, but when you're reliant on service as opposed to making goals with the ball at your feet, you're suddenly very limited.

If he's the same player that he was before the latest injury, you have to look at him, as in theory he's still got years ahead of him. I have a feeling he's going to turn out to be one of those players that won't play on for long past 30 though.
ivor_the_injun

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:41 pm

bigmick wrote:I think it is almost a certainty that he will leave Newcastle in the Summer, but less of a sure thing that we will sign him. Shepherd has dug really deep for the barcodes and whoever the new manager is is likely to be told that he must release some funds from the existing squad before he buys. Owen is reportedly on 5.5 million a year and has a four year contract so if they could get 12 mill for him, it would seem like an easy way of releasing 25-30 million quid. Given his injury record Shepherd may see him as another Woodgate waiting to happen and will be keen to realise his worth particularly if the wee fella has a decent World Cup.
I think there is a distinct possibility that Henri will leave Arsenal in the Summer and Wenger may feel like an Owen/Van Persie partnership is his best bet of doing something at the new stadium. I'm still not convinced that Rafa sees Owen as part of his ideal team.

He did confess though that he did try to sign him. I doubt Rafa is the type of man to be told who to sign. Ok God was an exception.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I wouldn't sign him without seeing him play for a month or so once he's recovered from his latest injury. I'd be interested to see how many games he's missed due to injuries over the last three years, as it's something any manager would have to weigh up when coming up with a fee. You can't pay £17m for someone that's almost certainly going to miss a quarter of your fixtures. If you're lucky.

Eventually, he's the kind of player that is going to suffer quite badly once his pace starts going into decline, and every injury will make inroads into it. Unlike Shearer, who is still great in the air and is excellent at holding up the ball, or Fowler who has tricks up his sleeve, an excellent first touch and good passing range, Owen is going to be shown up quite badly once his main weapon stops working for him. Yes, he'll still be able to find space and beat offside because he's one of the best in the business at that, but when you're reliant on service as opposed to making goals with the ball at your feet, you're suddenly very limited.

If he's the same player that he was before the latest injury, you have to look at him, as in theory he's still got years ahead of him. I have a feeling he's going to turn out to be one of those players that won't play on for long past 30 though.

it is people like you who have been saying owen is finished every time he has been injured.

And every time he comes back from injury he scores goals and you stop going on about it for a while.

he scores alot of his goals because of a natural born gift of being in the right place at the right time. i just wish he had a better instinct when it came to the advise he listens to about transferes.

I know i defend owen on here alot but i cannot see why anyone would ever doubt that he could score goals for a team rafa manages with our team putting balls in areas he dreams about. he must be kicking himself seeing cissie wearing a red shirt.

my point in total is the lad is first class and all he has ever done is prove people wrong ,, owen isn't the player he was! owen hasn't got a left foot! owen is nothing without his pace ! (which he has been losing according to some since he was 19)

Rafa did want him back because he recognise the quality he has. but i do agree that we won't pay 17 mill for him, a swap deal for cissie would be nice  :idea
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:29 pm

owen will return for £12 million in the summer. there's just no way he would have signed a contract at newcastle if there wasn't a release clause in it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby seani.g » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Owen is exactly what we need and why we signed robbie back. We just need someone up front to put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.
If we did so we could/would win everything and anything. I would pay the Earth to get Owen back................maybe thats why I'm not a footie manager!
seani.g

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion