Michael owen - Will he ever return?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Stunning player and one of the best strikers in world.

The way he has behaved and the things he has said have hurt a lot....perhaps too much....

More recently stating that he would celebrate if he scored against us :(

I dunno, this lad disolusions me, but he brought us many happy times :)

I'd have him back VERY reluctantly....
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:26 pm

redmikey wrote:it is people like you who have been saying owen is finished every time he has been injured.

And every time he comes back from injury he scores goals and you stop going on about it for a while.

he scores alot of his goals because of a natural born gift of being in the right place at the right time. i just wish he had a better instinct when it came to the advise he listens to about transferes.

I know i defend owen on here alot but i cannot see why anyone would ever doubt that he could score goals for a team rafa manages with our team putting balls in areas he dreams about. he must be kicking himself seeing cissie wearing a red shirt.

my point in total is the lad is first class and all he has ever done is prove people wrong ,, owen isn't the player he was! owen hasn't got a left foot! owen is nothing without his pace ! (which he has been losing according to some since he was 19)

Rafa did want him back because he recognise the quality he has. but i do agree that we won't pay 17 mill for him, a swap deal for cissie would be nice  :idea

On the contrary, I back Owen to come back and find the net at least every other game, much like he has done ever since his career began with us. He isn't finished, and he'll be one of the best in the business for a few years yet.

I just worry whether or not he's going to end up like Jamie Redknapp - hugely talented, but utterly, utterly cursed by injuries and deprived of the prime of his career. It does feel like time off with injury has been the rule as opposed to the exception with Owen in recent years.

Can you imagine what it's like to be a young Newcastle fan right now, going to matches with Owen's name on your shirt, but wondering when, if ever, you're ever going to see him play for your club again?

I don't want young Liverpool fans to be in that situation.

Like I say, he's got to be worth a look because he's one of the best there is. I'd want money off though, and particular attention paid at the medical. A top class striker is no good to you if he's in no fit state to play.
ivor_the_injun

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:29 pm

stmichael wrote:owen will return for £12 million in the summer. there's just no way he would have signed a contract at newcastle if there wasn't a release clause in it.

Is this a hunch or some inside info? Im intrigued St Michael
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 pm

7_kEWELL i can see yo browsing, none of your rumours please. Im still waiting for Simao to sign
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MaccaLFC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Owens move to Newcastle will be the most expensive loan deal EVER.

He WILL NOT settle for no European football, or even Uefa Cup for that matter. Whether he'll come back here is another matter, but one thing's for sure, he won't be up in Geordieland next year.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Owen will return to Liverpool FC after the World Cup.

Ten to twelve million.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:21 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Owen will return to Liverpool FC after the World Cup.

Ten to twelve million.

Your source?

I'd be very suprised if Owen did re-sign for us especially as we now have Fowler.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:32 am

redmikey wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:I wouldn't sign him without seeing him play for a month or so once he's recovered from his latest injury. I'd be interested to see how many games he's missed due to injuries over the last three years, as it's something any manager would have to weigh up when coming up with a fee. You can't pay £17m for someone that's almost certainly going to miss a quarter of your fixtures. If you're lucky.

Eventually, he's the kind of player that is going to suffer quite badly once his pace starts going into decline, and every injury will make inroads into it. Unlike Shearer, who is still great in the air and is excellent at holding up the ball, or Fowler who has tricks up his sleeve, an excellent first touch and good passing range, Owen is going to be shown up quite badly once his main weapon stops working for him. Yes, he'll still be able to find space and beat offside because he's one of the best in the business at that, but when you're reliant on service as opposed to making goals with the ball at your feet, you're suddenly very limited.

If he's the same player that he was before the latest injury, you have to look at him, as in theory he's still got years ahead of him. I have a feeling he's going to turn out to be one of those players that won't play on for long past 30 though.

it is people like you who have been saying owen is finished every time he has been injured.

And every time he comes back from injury he scores goals and you stop going on about it for a while.

he scores alot of his goals because of a natural born gift of being in the right place at the right time. i just wish he had a better instinct when it came to the advise he listens to about transferes.

I know i defend owen on here alot but i cannot see why anyone would ever doubt that he could score goals for a team rafa manages with our team putting balls in areas he dreams about. he must be kicking himself seeing cissie wearing a red shirt.

my point in total is the lad is first class and all he has ever done is prove people wrong ,, owen isn't the player he was! owen hasn't got a left foot! owen is nothing without his pace ! (which he has been losing according to some since he was 19)

Rafa did want him back because he recognise the quality he has. but i do agree that we won't pay 17 mill for him, a swap deal for cissie would be nice  :idea

Ivor's one of the people on here at present with a clue and backs players through bad spells.

He is wrong about Owen becoming limited, Owen will adapt as all great players do.

Owen IS NOT what he WAS. He's still top class though. At 20 years old he was probably the best in the world, easily top two.

He will ALWAYS score goals. He'd be a great addition but i genuinely believe he'll end up at Arsenal.
115-1073096938

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:52 am

Your source?

It wasn't a news story I was breaking.

It was just wishful thinking.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 am

stu_the_red wrote:At 20 years old he was probably the best in the world, easily top two.

Stu, you constantly try to take the higher ground with other forum members but it's comments like this that prove how little you really know about the beutiful game.

As good as he is he's never been close to the best in the world.

Oh Stu, if only you really were the all knowing sage you portray yourself to be!! :no

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:10 am

[quote]

thegreedo
LFC Elite Member

As good as he is he's never been close to the best in the world.

Yes.....

Rafa will bring in someone else next summer..come on rafa
darwisigila

Postby Bretc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:19 am

Owen is a great player no doubt but I'll always remember how he screwed us up big time, not once but TWICE!!! First trick - Why dupe us into believing that he's going to sign a new contract when all along he's just waiting for an opportunity to make the "big move"?! Second trick - Why can't he simply tell Real Madrid that he only want to sign for Liverpool and nobody else?! For his 1st trick, he cost us millions as we're forced to sell cheaply. For his 2nd circus trick, he can't expect us to pay that kind of ridiculous $$$ - it's like giving Real an extra 8M and making a big fool of ourselves! If Owen realli want to play for us, he can simply tell Real that he only wanna sign for Liverpool, then hang on until Jan when we have a better chance to sign him at a cheaper price. But NO! He didn't! Why? Cos he just wanna play for ENGLAND!!! He only cares abt ENGLAND and HIMSELF! Yes, he's a great player, in fact a world class top-rated striker and we need his goal-scoring talent badly BUT it's wrong to sign him! My head says yes but my heart says NO!!! I can't explain why, I only know it's wrong, maybe it's my bruised pride when he walked away from us (esp when we needed him the most to start the Rafalution) but I just can't imagine Owen back in a Liverpool shirt.

There are other options I'd rather explore like Defoe, Yakubu, Kuyt etc. I like Mido too but not sure about his attitude.
Bretc

Postby marcus.c » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:28 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:However badly run Newcastle is, I cant believe they would allow this in his contract. I hope Owen does come back home, we need him, he will push us up yet another level.

Newcastle they are nothing but sh*t. They have achieve nothing and they love talking big. Owen ain't stupid to stay there. I reckon if Rafa makes a move for Owen next season, we'll get him back at Anfield.

As for his move to Real, well... he knows deep down it was a mistake, so lets move on.
marcus.c

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:24 am

I really hope Owen joins us in the summer i think he could be a great player for us. :D
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:29 am

no chance, i hate the fookin midget.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion