Michael owen - Do we want him ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:07 pm

It doesnt matter, Kuyt may never suit the premiership and Crouch could be a one season wonder.Remember Villa?. M Owen is proven over years. The fans would no doubt love him again and im sure Stevie G would love to link up with his onld Chum again not to mention Carra.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:35 pm

The thing is he want out of Real its obvious but he doesnt want to play for any other English club. I dont think Liverpool are gonna cough up £18Mil anyway for someone who Rafa flew all the way out to Portugal to see just to introduce himself. The idea sounds nice and i sure it would work but the club cant :censored: of Rafa or try and force their plans on him. Thats what Valencia tried to do with Rafa and he left.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Take him back and start him every game ahead of baros, pongolle and morientes.

Owen and Ciise fastest attack in the prem.
Then we can also add morientes when we need a good player in the air, but honestly i dont think that is what our game needs, we have fantastic passers that can threat perfect balls through to players like owen, this is what we lacked when owen originally played for us. Gerrard and Alonso placing perfect passes to owen and cisse with Garcia drifting inside to shoot himself, that would be a great attack.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Yes that could be an option. But its up to wether Rafa is willing to take him back

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:31 pm

Some one mentioned price, good point real madrid are :censored: and will try and price anyone out, they will probably use him in the champs league as well like the did with nando.
I hate real madrid
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 pm

Rafa will decide 'if' he needs Owen.  If he does, great, if not...i'm sure it will be for the best.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:45 pm

when Owen left last year it didn't bother me too much - he looked all through that season as though he couldn't be ars'ed. I also thought that when he went Baros would finally shine, but I was wrong about that.
Anyway, Owen made his mind up to leave and couldn't resist the temptation of playing for Real Madrid. Well he made his bed so he should lie in it. But what we're interested in is the success of LFC. Owen put himself before his club last year but lets face it 99% of players would do the same (thankfully we have Carra, and, in the end, Gerrard but we're lucky there - how many other sides have good 2 top quality local lads committed to playing for them?) For me Owen is a top class striker - you can debate his skills and teamwork etc, but whilst that's important, strikers must score. That's what Owen does.
IF he wants to come back here Rafa will sign him IF he's sure Owen wants to play for us for the right reasons - i.e. he really wants to play for us, be part of the team and knuckle down and put his best in every time he plays. No moaning about not playing either. "Trust in Rafa" everyone says on here. Well I think Rafa is capable of making mistakes in the transfer market, but I don't believe for one minute he would let any player come to us with anything less than totally positive attitude (as opposed to being handy for his parents house etc) So if he signs I will gladly put the past behind me because, like Gerrard, I think we would see him at his best. If Rafa isn't convinced, then he'll stay where he is, and I won't lose any sleep.
neilE

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:04 pm

People weren't worried about him leaving because of his attitude last season. But the fact of the matter is, he still banged in 19 goals and is a class act. Even when only half fit, Baros can't lace his boots.

People were and still are sadly decieved by Milan's running. Yes, he runs all day, but with no direction, intelligence or finesse. Owen does a quarter of the running, but is 2/3 more times effective. His goals won us points and games. Without his goals, we've seen this season in the league exactly what we are. Which as much as i hate to admit it... is not a top 4 side. We lost 1-0 away at Palace, people say how he only scored against :censored: teams (myth Arsenal, Roma, United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Porto). Well out of all the 1-0 defeats, i'd bet you anything he could have scored the goals that would have got us into the champions league AT LEAST.

Teams can play all the football in the world, pass and move all they want, but the fact is, if they can't score, they'll never win.

Owen scores goals and has the intelligence, movement, pace, touch (this myth about his first touch being poor is quite funny at times), passing ability and goalscoring ability to fit into this style.

He'd have had a hatfull last season on Milan Baros' chances alone. He also knows how to create chances for himself and teamates better than Milan could ever do...

He's two classes above everything we have already at least (Maybe Morientes on top of his game could give him a run for his money).

Would pay upto £15m to take him back, he's worth it.
115-1073096938

Postby barnesrush » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:16 pm

completely agree stu.

all this moaning about how he left is perhaps harsh as he was always open about wanting to play abroad sometime and it is hard for a player to manufacture such a move without pising off some of the fans. class player who scores goals consistently and maybe evn the restful season of bench warming has helped him shake off the injuries which blighted some of his time here. i agree with stu (at least i think thats what he said) in that a fit for a whole season MO, will knock in at least 25 if he came back. 14 in 22 starts fo real aint bad. better than raul this season anyway.

i too hoped baros had the chance to shine but anyone who still thinks he has the potential to reach owens level is sadly deluded i feel. hopefully he will soon be funding the purchase of a new player.

come 'home' mikey. dunno about 15mil in that real are making us look like mugs but football is a business and in business terms hes worth at least that i reckon
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby banana » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:54 pm

stu_the_red wrote:People weren't worried about him leaving because of his attitude last season. But the fact of the matter is, he still banged in 19 goals and is a class act. Even when only half fit, Baros can't lace his boots.

People were and still are sadly decieved by Milan's running. Yes, he runs all day, but with no direction, intelligence or finesse. Owen does a quarter of the running, but is 2/3 more times effective. His goals won us points and games. Without his goals, we've seen this season in the league exactly what we are. Which as much as i hate to admit it... is not a top 4 side. We lost 1-0 away at Palace, people say how he only scored against :censored: teams (myth Arsenal, Roma, United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Porto). Well out of all the 1-0 defeats, i'd bet you anything he could have scored the goals that would have got us into the champions league AT LEAST.

Teams can play all the football in the world, pass and move all they want, but the fact is, if they can't score, they'll never win.

Owen scores goals and has the intelligence, movement, pace, touch (this myth about his first touch being poor is quite funny at times), passing ability and goalscoring ability to fit into this style.

He'd have had a hatfull last season on Milan Baros' chances alone. He also knows how to create chances for himself and teamates better than Milan could ever do...

He's two classes above everything we have already at least (Maybe Morientes on top of his game could give him a run for his money).

Would pay upto £15m to take him back, he's worth it.

To be honest Stu, I couldn't care less. We now have a good squad and a good team spirit. That is very important. Benitez will not ruin the athmosphere by signing big headed egos. I don't rate Owen no matter what you say or how you present the facts. LFC is worth much more to me lad than any single player can ever be. I know Owen's true colors and I dislike his attitude and his ego. Your level of worship for the players is beyond belief, if I did not know better I'd take you for a little kid. Only kids idolize players like you do.

Benitez is a wise man, he will not let people screw him over, and he will only do what is best for the TEAM.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:08 pm

To be honest I just found this on another forum and I actually agree with It I think it's a good idea:

If Raffa can pull this off with the help of Parry then they are pure Genius.
If we can agree a loan deal for Owen for a seaon then have the option to buy him after the loan period then Raffa is a genius.

He has admitted that Crouch is his main striking target tall good with is feet and socred 16 last season. He will give us more options than Cisse or Nando although Nando is awesome in there air.

I think if we land Owen we haev won the lottery. Everyone knows how deadly he can be and how proven he is. We wouldnt have to pay for him and if he proves it over the season we will get 15+ goals for nothing if he doesnt cut it or his heads not in it then we give him back. we still havent spent anything.

I hope By Monday we will be reading that Crouch Owen and Figo have all joined up for pre season.

I hope the Echo have got it right this time.

YNWA

:buttrock
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:24 am

Sell Baros, get Owen back. Do we need Crouch? I dunno. I can't see him bringing much impact we needed in a striker.

BRING OWEN BACK!!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:43 am

I dont think we should have Owen back especially as he has stated that he wouldnt mind going to old trafford aswell.
What the f#ck an ex-Liverpool player saying he wants to come back to ManUre or Liverpool,yeah right .
He has no loyaties to the club and personally i dont think Rafa would have him.
66-1112520797

Postby L-type » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:16 am

We need to take Owen back as much as he needs to come back.  Right now the feelings mutual, and both parties can prosper from such an arrangement.  I am and always will be a big fan of Owen.  People may criticize him for being short, but we have Moro who can knock in crosses with his head.  Plus this time last year everyone was drooling over Owen and Cisse, there was not a single person who said it would be ineffective.  Why has everyone changed their minds?  Simple, it's sour grapes

These people continually say...

He's too short !
He has no skill !
He's selfish !
It's a matter of principle !
He's not the world class striker we need !

well my response to that is....

Was he too short when he played for liverpool before?  He still managed to find the back of the net in big games, and make an impact, and there's the matter of assists that I'll get to in a second

Was he a no skilled washout when he single handedly scired a wondergoal against Argentina?  What about when he handed us the 2001 FA Cup?  He beats defenders, through quick passing that slices up the defence and leaves them for dead.  He never got a chance to do this at liverpool because there was never anyone to pass to.  It was always an optimistic one way pass from behind the half line to find Owen man marked by the defence.  Now he has a strong midfield to supply him some service and has competent partners among Cisse and Moro (I simply don't rate Baros at all)

Honestly do people think he's selfish and then turn around and say baros is in the same class as Owen?  I mean come on seriously people.  Owen made smart passes that ended in LIVERPOOL finding the back of the net.  Gerrard showed against Leverkusen what can happen if you opt for the unselfish pass, it presents the defence one more oppurtunity to close down, and another oppurtunity for an error to occur.  Simple as that.  Also as Stu or St. Michael pointed out as a smart player you should be drawing up sequence of events and visualizing the passes.  I know that when I play footie that I always look for the one two, through the defence to go through on goal.  Now since Owen has possesion if he retained the miracle long ball, then the one two will result in him being the man going through the defence.  It's not being selfish it's called being the playmaker, and playing with your head.

The fact that some people think it's a matter of principle could be the only argument that makes sense.  Yes, the 2 million euro fee for Figo would have been easily amassed and paid to Madrid, but it was a matter of principle and Rafa refused to pay on those grounds, but to suggest that it would be the same with Owen is another matter.  During the season Rafa continually opened the door for an Owen return.  During these escapades did Rafa intend on recovering Owen for free? Not a chance.  Possibly for cheaper or the same amount as Madrid paid for him?  No way, your having yourself a laugh.  So if Benitez knew he would be expensive why would Benitez have opened a relationship with Owen?  Surely there must be something in this, but things could have easily changed since then.

And finally to all the naysayers that think overall  Owen is just not good enough and isn't a world class player and think that we can find better, let me assure you that no one else is out there that is wetting their pants over the prospect of coming to liverpool.  Also it's worth a mention that Owen will improve under Benitez and will also improve do to his own hard work, such as when he addressed the issues with himself having a weak left footed shot.  He put in many hours to improve this and is a better player as a result. 

Please Benitez, let's break the bank and drop 15 million on Owen, or maybe less if we can haggle or something.  Also note this price could be offset by selling Baros to Lyon or somehwere.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby muttleyp » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:15 am

Cant say i was happy with Owen when he turned his back on us last season and left us. But to be honest it would be stupid to say that we dont need him back or should not want him back as he is still a class striker.

I wouldnt sell Baros yet either as he is a good striker just needs to be a little less selfish as he seemed to be getting as last season went on, and be as prolific as he is on internationl duty.
Only if he dosent sign a new contract would i then sell him,

Rafa should forget all this Peter Crouch stuff and get a proven striker back in if he wants to challenge for the league and Owen is just that, and is a far better prospect than Crouch.
£8mill for Crouch or spend a bit more on Owen, anyone that says Crouch need help!!
muttleyp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion