Michael owen - Do we want him ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:58 pm

john craig wrote:
laza wrote: Goals?  Yeah he may have scored 20 a season,  none.

and 20 goals would of done us the world of good last season.

How can you knock someone who can bag you 20 goals a season - d!ckhead.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:08 pm

Perhaps Madrid have scuppered our hopes of signing Crouch with a last ditch bid for the player themselves. Its common knowledge they like to bag a 'galactico' each summer and Crouch fits the bill right  :laugh: . Crouch or Owen, hell its a tough call  :glare:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:12 pm

i would love it if we signed owen, love it!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:21 pm

doesnt the first option clause in owens deal in going to real, show that rafa has always pondered the prospect of owen returning. i dont think its as unlikely as jbg thinks but cash could be an issue
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:31 pm

How much would Madrid be willing to sell for ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby 5th_Hokage » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:32 pm

How many players can score 20 goals a season and possibly sign for LFC? ???
5th_Hokage

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Lee J wrote:
john craig wrote:
laza wrote: Goals?  Yeah he may have scored 20 a season,  none.

and 20 goals would of done us the world of good last season.

How can you knock someone who can bag you 20 goals a season - d!ckhead.

D1ckhead??  Well with that sort of talk you're obviously a hard b@st@rd, better not argue with you then big guy :D

Now that I've stopped laughing . . . its easy for you quote part of what i say so that others take it out of context.  If anyone is actually interested in Lee J's (sorry, hard lad's) remarks about my post then please read all of my post and not hard lad's selected abstracts
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:39 pm

FACT

Micheal Owen is a far superior forward then anyone currently at our club.

To say that all the top clubs in this country would not want Owen is wide of the mark if you ask me. Ferguson was courting him earlier this summer but it all went quiet. Probably because he was told to do one.

To say that all our players are just money grabbing :censored: who would :censored: us over at the first opportunity is a disgrace.

I'd like to see you tell Carragher, Hamann,Risse,Ciise and many others who blatently love this club.

Even our captain turned down the bigger payday to stay with us.

Rafa bring back Owen with him in our side we have the complete team which will then include a world class finisher. (which is exactly what we're lacking now)
RED ANT

Postby RedWolf35 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:53 pm

Don't sign the treacherous little dwarf ......   he left because he thought we were not going to win any major trophies in the future, the way he left was nothing short of a disgrace - telling us he was signing all year then leaving right at the end - he never gave Rafa a chance to prove how he could turn our beloved club around & showed no emotion/upset when he abruptly left the club who had invested all that time in his development (yes we won trophies because of him and he scored lots of goals but we deserved more loyalty than he shown, as much as Stevie G annoyed me with his indecision over the last 12 months it was always obvious of the love he had for LFC) now we are entering a fantastic new era and all the top players will want to come here (if only we could afford them  :grinning: ) and little Mikey wants to come back.

I say 'sod off' Micheal - thanks for the memories but we don't need you - in 10 years time when your sitting there counting your money and playing domino's think of how you shafted us out of at least 12/15million and NEVER won the European cup

I am fully prepared be abused over this BUT that little rat made me cry last summer and seeing him in our colours again would fill me with rage, I even refused to speak to my wife for 2 days becuase I was so distraught

I want a 20/30 per year goal scorer as much as the next fan
just not Owen!!!
RedWolf35

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:02 pm

:p :D

This thread has had some good debate and has been good reading, just like to add my two pence to the argument.

I have to say that Owen is NOT a 'World Class' striker.

He is a good striker and if you go on his scoring record then this is easily backed up and you cold even argue that he has a 'world class' scoring record, which to be honest, probably cant be argued against.
However in my opinion this DOES NOT make him a world class striker by any means. Maybe a contradiction of terms but i dont think it is!!

His all round game is poor and apart from puting it in the back of the net, what does he actully bring to the team as a whole. I know some will argue that bringing goals is all that matters when talking about strikers, which to a point is correct, but for ME you need to bring and show more (main reason we are looking at crouch IMO).
He cannot hold the ball up well, and when he does he tends to be selfish with his passing. What makes me say this is that, i have seen Owen MANY times, play a ball to say a winger, but in such a way that the only otion for the player receiving the ball is to play Owen in, he tends to play the ball very wide or behind the oncoming teammate as to give HIMSELF time to get in the box!!  For me this shows a selfish attitude (though this can be expected from strikers you might say,but then you look at Henry and this isnt the case).

Michael Owen has very little skill, and often gets between defenders, not through skill, but through getting lucky knocks off the defenders legs etc; (anyone who disagrees....you need to really need to check this out), and being so small he is able to squirm past players,who are often worried about fouling him in the area.

I dont think Rafa likes his style of play and on the whole doesnt really rate him,hence he was allowed to leave without much of a fight. He simply doesnt fit into Rafa's style of play. Owen is at his best when playing off the shoulder of defenders and relying on his pace to get onto the through balls.
With rafa, i see a more methodical style of play, and personally i dont think owen has the attributes to play this way, he is a SIMPLE player and wants it put through so he can run on to it, otherwise he finds it difficult to score.

After the 2001 treble,why do you think we struggled - in my opinion - it was because teams had cottoned on to the way that we played and always looked for Owen via a SG long through ball.
So it comes as no surprise that we win the CL after he left, IMO, if he was still here we would ave played a lot differently and the players would still have focused the attention on getting the ball to SG, in the hope he would find Owen and thats how we would get our goals.

Owen hardly EVER scored from outside the box, and was unable to score an array of different types of goals - he just reminded me of Lineker to be honest. Compare to another Anfield hero - Fowler - he could score from outside the box, volleys and even free kicks!!  Cant imagine Owen taking a free kick can you?

Some people will obviously disagree with a lot i ave said no doubt, but personally i look at football and footballers as a whole package, and although Owen does score a lot of goals, his WHOLE package is poor IMO.
The thing is IF he ISNT scoring, then WHAT DOES HE BRING that will benefit the team??
For example we know that Mori will not be a 20-30 goal a season man, but he REALLY can link play properly and create for OTHERS (of course he still has to show this to us, but we still know he CAN do that).
Another example is Cisse, just the other night he was played out wide, though not his natural position e was still able to make a decent impact and cause problems and create chances for OTHERS. Can you imagine Owen playing out wide?? Hmmmm, dont think so!!

As (john craig i think) said, the stats dont tell the whole story, yes he does have a 1:2 ratio, which is up with the best, but a lot of these goals were against 'weaker' opposition and then we have the 10 in 6 games type of thing followed by a spell of 7 without a goal for example.

If he was world class and he supposedly wants out of Real at the moment, then how come the likes of Barca, Milan(either one) and the rest of the usual suspects dont seem to be interested?
If he was world class, then why does he have extreme problems getting past real class strikers such as raul/ronaldo??
Three managers cant all be wrong in their estimations of owen, by placing him on the bench.
Madrid only bought him, to appease their fans clamouring for a 'big name' signing, not a big player, but a big name!!

I am sorry but Owen made the decision to leave, and now he is regretting it, we should not pander to his need of playing regularly so he can be a starter at the world cup next year.
IMO Rooney/defoe would be alot more devastating than Rooney/Owen - Why, we know what Rooney can do, but Defoe has a lot more to his game than Owen does and will in time be a lot better than Owen (IMO of course!)
76-1115222408

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:05 pm

Kopboyau wrote:I just wanna wear my Owen shirt with Name and Number again

i do it all the time :buttrock
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:38 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:Image
:p :D

This thread has had some good debate and has been good reading, just like to add my two pence to the argument.

I have to say that Owen is NOT a 'World Class' striker.

He is a good striker and if you go on his scoring record then this is easily backed up and you cold even argue that he has a 'world class' scoring record, which to be honest, probably cant be argued against.
However in my opinion this DOES NOT make him a world class striker by any means. Maybe a contradiction of terms but i dont think it is!!

His all round game is poor and apart from puting it in the back of the net, what does he actully bring to the team as a whole. I know some will argue that bringing goals is all that matters when talking about strikers, which to a point is correct, but for ME you need to bring and show more (main reason we are looking at crouch IMO).
He cannot hold the ball up well, and when he does he tends to be selfish with his passing. What makes me say this is that, i have seen Owen MANY times, play a ball to say a winger, but in such a way that the only otion for the player receiving the ball is to play Owen in, he tends to play the ball very wide or behind the oncoming teammate as to give HIMSELF time to get in the box!!  For me this shows a selfish attitude (though this can be expected from strikers you might say,but then you look at Henry and this isnt the case).

Michael Owen has very little skill, and often gets between defenders, not through skill, but through getting lucky knocks off the defenders legs etc; (anyone who disagrees....you need to really need to check this out), and being so small he is able to squirm past players,who are often worried about fouling him in the area.

I dont think Rafa likes his style of play and on the whole doesnt really rate him,hence he was allowed to leave without much of a fight. He simply doesnt fit into Rafa's style of play. Owen is at his best when playing off the shoulder of defenders and relying on his pace to get onto the through balls.
With rafa, i see a more methodical style of play, and personally i dont think owen has the attributes to play this way, he is a SIMPLE player and wants it put through so he can run on to it, otherwise he finds it difficult to score.

After the 2001 treble,why do you think we struggled - in my opinion - it was because teams had cottoned on to the way that we played and always looked for Owen via a SG long through ball.
So it comes as no surprise that we win the CL after he left, IMO, if he was still here we would ave played a lot differently and the players would still have focused the attention on getting the ball to SG, in the hope he would find Owen and thats how we would get our goals.

Owen hardly EVER scored from outside the box, and was unable to score an array of different types of goals - he just reminded me of Lineker to be honest. Compare to another Anfield hero - Fowler - he could score from outside the box, volleys and even free kicks!!  Cant imagine Owen taking a free kick can you?

Some people will obviously disagree with a lot i ave said no doubt, but personally i look at football and footballers as a whole package, and although Owen does score a lot of goals, his WHOLE package is poor IMO.
The thing is IF he ISNT scoring, then WHAT DOES HE BRING that will benefit the team??
For example we know that Mori will not be a 20-30 goal a season man, but he REALLY can link play properly and create for OTHERS (of course he still has to show this to us, but we still know he CAN do that).
Another example is Cisse, just the other night he was played out wide, though not his natural position e was still able to make a decent impact and cause problems and create chances for OTHERS. Can you imagine Owen playing out wide?? Hmmmm, dont think so!!

As (john craig i think) said, the stats dont tell the whole story, yes he does have a 1:2 ratio, which is up with the best, but a lot of these goals were against 'weaker' opposition and then we have the 10 in 6 games type of thing followed by a spell of 7 without a goal for example.

If he was world class and he supposedly wants out of Real at the moment, then how come the likes of Barca, Milan(either one) and the rest of the usual suspects dont seem to be interested?
If he was world class, then why does he have extreme problems getting past real class strikers such as raul/ronaldo??
Three managers cant all be wrong in their estimations of owen, by placing him on the bench.
Madrid only bought him, to appease their fans clamouring for a 'big name' signing, not a big player, but a big name!!

I am sorry but Owen made the decision to leave, and now he is regretting it, we should not pander to his need of playing regularly so he can be a starter at the world cup next year.
IMO Rooney/defoe would be alot more devastating than Rooney/Owen - Why, we know what Rooney can do, but Defoe has a lot more to his game than Owen does and will in time be a lot better than Owen (IMO of course!)

Oh my god! Am i the only person on here that thinks Owen is a great player. I wish i had the stats at hand but i bet he has alot of assists to his name aswell. To even try to say that we are looking at Crouch as a better alternative makes me think your understanding of the game is naive to say the least.

Heskey was good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, does this mean we thought he was the better forward.

Owen will go on to smash Englands all time goal scoring record which considering the talent this country has had upfront over the years shows just how good he is.

Maybe when Crouch wins European footballer of the year i will stand corrected but right now tell me 1 forward at our club that can bring us the title.
RED ANT

Postby destro » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:01 pm

banana wrote:Stop this Owen nonsense.

Rafa doesn't like the midget, neither do I. Accept it and move on.

Stop this Owen nonsense.

Rafa doesn't like the midget, neither do I. Accept it and move on.

i think you may be getting confused with SID OWEN who left EASTENDERS without any good reason what so ever  :rasp . i would love MICHAEL owen to come back , we are crying out for a 20 goal a season striker and he fits that bill ( proven ). if we are as the papers suggest going to spend 8 million on crouch then we surely can add 3-4 million to that and bring him back. some people can be really unforgiving
destro

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:05 pm

I disagree he wont have MANY assists to his name, if you check old footage i noticed whenever somebody else scored he never looked happy, so much for playing for a team!!

I did not say Crouch was a better alternative (read the post properly before calling me naive mate!) i said becasue he brings 'different' options to the team is the reason Rafa is probably looking at him.

Owen getting european player of the year, was nothing more than politics, how can Owen have won it and Henry never has - who is MORE consistent??

However if you choose not to see the lack of all round ability in Michael Owen's game, then that is up to you as it is each to their own, but for me the term 'great' and 'world class' are overused today and i dont think either describes Owen, IMHO!!
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:06 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
Kopboyau wrote:I just wanna wear my Owen shirt with Name and Number again

i do it all the time :buttrock

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO GET THOSE ANIMATIONS ON THE BOTTOM YOUR OWN POSTS?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion