Michael owen - Do we want him ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kopboyau » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:36 pm

I just wanna wear my Owen shirt with Name and Number again
Kopboyau
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:50 pm

banana wrote:
Kopboyau wrote:Be better upfront than Crouch - why on earth Rafa wants him I don't know  ???  ???

Do you think it is a coincedence that Rafa is looking for tall strong good headers like Morientes, Crouch and Kujt?

To LFC#1
Don't be stupid. Owen doesn't fit in his system and into his football philosophy. Pure and simple.

No he doesn't but would outscore any of the strikers we currently have or that we are being linked with FACT.
I will trust Rafa what ever he decides but hope that he wouldnt turn down the chance of Owen returning due to principles.
As someone has earlier said Rush left for a season...we welcomed him back and he was a major success when he returned..whats to say that Owen wouldnt be the same ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Houllier=LFC » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Owen alone will solve our frontline scoring problem.
Houllier=LFC

Postby laza » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Have him back in flash despite my bitterness over the transfer which has grown somewhat by Nunez becoming surplus to requirements which just rubs salt in the wound for me over the whole deal.

And Maximus right on the money
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:54 pm

OWEN IN BID FOR ANFIELD RETURN
Liverpool Echo 15 July 2005 

MICHAEL OWEN is desperate to make a sensational return to Liverpool. 

The former Reds striker wants to end his Real Madrid exile and Anfield officials have been alerted to Owen's fervent desire to rejoin the club he left last summer.

A dramatic swoop hasn't been ruled out.

However, Rafa Benitez has already made other arrangements in the transfer market and would need convincing to move for the 25-year-old striker.

The European Champions have not budgeted for a bid for Owen, who joined the club as a schoolboy but decided to leave for Spain in an £8m deal last year.

Although Benitez could be in the hunt for a proven goalscorer before the transfer window closes, that would depend on how much he could raise in player sales.

His first priority is a target man, with Southampton's Peter Crouch still top of his wish list.

Liverpool are interested in the possibility of arranging a year loan deal with Real Madrid for Owen, but that would require some skilful negotiation and appears to be an extremely optimistic option at this stage.

Owen left with the Real Madrid squad for a summer tour of America yesterday, but he's anxious to return to England before the start of the season - and Liverpool are currently the only club which interests him.

Model professional Owen has never publicly expressed any discontent about life in Madrid, but privately he's become increasingly disillusioned since leaving England.

On the pitch, Owen's goal record defies the accepted view he's failed to make an impact in Spain.

He scored 14 goals in 22 starts, but he's never completely settled and has found himself regularly on the bench, despite his impressive goal ratio.

Owen scored 158 goals in 298 appearances of an Anfield career which began in 1997 and is seventh on the list of the club's all time goalscorers.

Meanwhile, the Luis Figo saga should be resolved this weekend.

The only issue now is Figo's pay-off from Real Madrid.

The Spanish club are no longer demanding a fee for the Portuguese star.

The 32-year-old midfielder is in the United States but will leave the Madrid tour when he's decided between Liverpool and Inter Milan.

The Reds are now in Switzerland preparing for the clash with Bayer Leverkusen in Austria tomorrow night.

Don't know what to make of that. No quotes from anybody, but the Echo is usually a pretty reliable source.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 pm

maximus wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:
banana wrote:To LFC#1
Don't be stupid. Owen doesn't fit in his system and into his football philosophy. Pure and simple.

That may be so (debatable), but you still fail to answer my question on why you dislike the lad so much.

You once called him "mediocre", which shows a distinct lack of knowledge on the player, plain and simple.

I get the feeling you have some personal hatred of him because of his 'controversial' transfer to Real Madrid, or perhaps you have no idea what you are talking about?

I can just see Banana sitting there watching the 2001 cup final, professing that the midget is mediocre!! :censored:

Fickle fans  :glare:

Go drink a glass of milk lad

Talking about 2001 will get you nowhere
Rafa is thinking about 2006-2010
Owen is not in his plans. Owen is out of favour in Madrid and desperate to get some football before the world cup finals. We should not let him use LFC just to get fit for the world cup. LFC is not Owen's playground.

AND
Nothing is permanent in football. How many good seasons did Maradona have after 1988? Ok, drugs did him. So what? Owen is injury prone and has a big ego. And most importantly; Owen is not suited to play it Rafa style. Rafa is building a TEAM. He is not after 11 individuals. Apart form hanging around and putting a few goals, Owen doesn't bring much to the table. i care about the WHOLE game. I do not care about how many goals a single player scores or what car he drives. Owen doesn't take part in the build up play, he is not working hard for his team mates, and he has not the skills required to be first striker at LFC. Accept it.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:19 pm

I'd take Michael Owen back for £8million and give Madrid back Nunez! :D

Honestly, I'd take Owen back, even if we were presented with the farcical situation of having to cough up £12million for him. He's a quality player. He went a bit soft at Liverpool in his last two years and had injury problems but I think he's now back to full fitness.

I was a critic of him in 2003/04 as I thought he got soft and complacent, but I always had the view years ago that if Owen stayed 100% fit for a a full season he would score more than 30 league goals and that would be enough to win us the Premiership.

If Owen wants to come back, if the decision was down to me, I'd have him.

However, the decision is down to Rafa Benitez and I don't think Rafa wants Owen back. Having him back would mean two big shots in the dressing room (together with Gerrard) and I don't think Rafa wants this. There is probably also a slight element of bitterness under the surface of the club whereby the club might feel that Owen dumped them last season.

I don't think its a situation of Rafa not liking Owen as a footballer - Owen would be superb in a Rafa side - but the issue is more to do with dressing room politics and transfer budgets, so I would be extremely surprised if Michael Owen ever played for us again.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:30 pm

JBG wrote:I'd take Michael Owen back for £8million and give Madrid back Nunez! :D

Honestly, I'd take Owen back, even if we were presented with the farcical situation of having to cough up £12million for him. He's a quality player. He went a bit soft at Liverpool in his last two years and had injury problems but I think he's now back to full fitness.

I was a critic of him in 2003/04 as I thought he got soft and complacent, but I always had the view years ago that if Owen stayed 100% fit for a a full season he would score more than 30 league goals and that would be enough to win us the Premiership.

If Owen wants to come back, if the decision was down to me, I'd have him.

However, the decision is down to Rafa Benitez and I don't think Rafa wants Owen back. Having him back would mean two big shots in the dressing room (together with Gerrard) and I don't think Rafa wants this. There is probably also a slight element of bitterness under the surface of the club whereby the club might feel that Owen dumped them last season.

I don't think its a situation of Rafa not liking Owen as a footballer - Owen would be superb in a Rafa side - but the issue is more to do with dressing room politics and transfer budgets, so I would be extremely surprised if Michael Owen ever played for us again.

But don't you think it would be a case of him coming back on our terms rather then having to pander to his ego again?
RED ANT

Postby Lionheart » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:33 pm

He's not coming back lads. They're just blowing smoke up your butt. *I'm glad we don't debate EVERY rumor going around*  :lookaround

I'd have him back too...as the 'super sub'

But that ain't gunna happen is it??  :eyebrow

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:45 pm

banana wrote:
maximus wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

That may be so (debatable), but you still fail to answer my question on why you dislike the lad so much.

You once called him "mediocre", which shows a distinct lack of knowledge on the player, plain and simple.

I get the feeling you have some personal hatred of him because of his 'controversial' transfer to Real Madrid, or perhaps you have no idea what you are talking about?

I can just see Banana sitting there watching the 2001 cup final, professing that the midget is mediocre!! :censored:

Owen is not in his plans. Owen is out of favour in Madrid and desperate to get some football before the world cup finals. We should not let him use LFC just to get fit for the world cup. LFC is not Owen's playground.

AND
Nothing is permanent in football. How many good seasons did Maradona have after 1988? Ok, drugs did him. So what? Owen is injury prone and has a big ego. And most importantly; Owen is not suited to play it Rafa style. Rafa is building a TEAM. He is not after 11 individuals. Apart form hanging around and putting a few goals, Owen doesn't bring much to the table. i care about the WHOLE game. I do not care about how many goals a single player scores or what car he drives. Owen doesn't take part in the build up play, he is not working hard for his team mates, and he has not the skills required to be first striker at LFC. Accept it.

Agree totally Banana

Owen is a good player unquestionably, but IMO is overrated and offers little to the team in way of linking and building up play and holding the ball up.  This does not suit the way Rafa is moulding our style of play.  Then theres the issue of the way he left us last summer which was a disgrace.

Rafa won't take him back and thats fine by me
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:54 pm

I think you miss the point there John
IMHO whatever your opinion of Michael Owen talents now and whether you like to see him back at club  is nots what its about
Making derogatory comments about  a former player no matter how he left who provided such good service and help bring trophies to the club during a very long barren stretch is out of order
Its not something  that you should expect from the best fans in the world
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:55 pm

Lionheart wrote:. They're just blowing smoke up your butt. *I'm glad we don't debate EVERY rumor going around*  :l

Unfortunately mate it seems we do,last time I looked there were over 50 pages in the rumour thread.Dont worry you will soon get used to it,even if it does give you a headache :sleep

Welcome aboard anyway.
84-1106852058

Postby Krafty » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:00 pm

M Owen coming back would be great for LFC, however with Chelsea and M United looking for it, the price may be out of reach with RB wanting few defensive players. I think letting MO go last year was unfortunate, also last year RB said he would like to be kept informed if MO wants move back to England.

Now only hurdle would be $$$, perpahs loaned out be better option as been posted on other websites.

PS: I just can't see LFC dishing out amount of $ for MO that Chelsea can and will, so if it comes to sale, it be a bumer to see MO w/Chelsea.
Krafty

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 pm

Michael Owen??  Back at Liverpool?? 

Reina
Finnan, Hyppia, Carra,  Riise
Figo, Alonso, Gerrard, Zenden,
Cisse, Owen

Carson
Gallas
Gonzales
Hamman
Garcia
Morientes
Warnock
Potter

Mmm, that should just about win us the league me thinks.
:D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:13 pm

john craig wrote:
banana wrote:
maximus wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

AND

Agree totally Banana

Owen is a good player unquestionably, but IMO is overrated and offers little to the team in way of linking and building up play and holding the ball up.  This does not suit the way Rafa is moulding our style of play.  Then theres the issue of the way he left us last summer which was a disgrace.

Rafa won't take him back and thats fine by me

1 - "offers little to the team in way of linking and building up play and holding the ball up" Like Baros? Like Mori? Like Cisse? I tell you what he offers GOALS, GOALS and more GOALS, funnily enough that is what we are seriously lacking at the moment in the striker department.

2 - "Then theres the issue of the way he left us last summer which was a disgrace." How about putting a bit of a positive spin on things, he could have left it a bit longer and left us for NOTHING!!!!!!

Honestly MO gave this club years of solid service and goals, goals, goals. It never ceases to amaze me how he is consistently slagged off on these forums, f.uckin disgraceful. People have very, very short memories.

He is still banging them in as we speak, this is against all the odds - coupled with the back stabbing, finger pointing sham of a squad and a board of directors he plays for at the moment.

The guy is class, and epitomises the very professional attitude that other players at this club could learn from. Perhaps if he was spouting his mouth off, sniffing touch lines and generally being a scally, he would get a bit more respect, but I feel he is bigger and better than that.

Come home Michael, YOU HAVE BEEN SORELY MISSED  :bowdown
maximus
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion