McManaman, Fowler and Jones: Discuss

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Fowler was a great player, scored a bigger variety of goals than Owen and more of them. Owen was more clinical.

Owen, was however, at his best one of the best players in the world and completely unstoppable. Not something that could be said of Robbie.

Fowler never had the individual talent that Owen had. To this day one of the best strikers I've ever seen at his peak.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Fowler was also on his day "untouchable" - he scored some goals that Owen could only dream off and he had the lot - left or right foot , one on one , in the five yard box , from 30 yards , with his head , from free kicks. In his prime in the mid 90's he was untouchable.

Fowler was never given the chance to do it on the world stage
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 pm wrote:Fowler was also on his day "untouchable" - he scored some goals that Owen could only dream off and he had the lot - left or right foot , one on one , in the five yard box , from 30 yards , with his head , from free kicks. In his prime in the mid 90's he was untouchable.

Another weak arguement which can be easily pulled to bits, no doubt you'll retaliate by repeating yourself or trying to run the thread off track as usual, but why ruin the habbit of a lifetime?

1. Stop the supply, stop Fowler. He relied heavily on McManaman and crosses from the full backs. While Owen had many different positions on the pitch he could cause problems for the opposition. Owen relied on through balls, but he could also beat players and create something out of nothing.

2. Owen never scored goals Fowler could only dream of? ??? Really?

3. Had he been good enough he would have done, some would call 27 games a chance at international level. There have been better players than Fowler who have picked up less caps than that.

4. If Owen's game was "all about pace" (which is ridiculously incorrect).... why did his seasonal best goal tally come after Owen lost his pace?

As I said, weak arguements, like every repetative post you've ever made.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 pm

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 pm wrote:Fowler was also on his day "untouchable" - he scored some goals that Owen could only dream off and he had the lot - left or right foot , one on one , in the five yard box , from 30 yards , with his head , from free kicks. In his prime in the mid 90's he was untouchable.

Another weak arguement which can be easily pulled to bits, no doubt you'll retaliate by repeating yourself or trying to run the thread off track as usual, but why ruin the habbit of a lifetime?

1. Stop the supply, stop Fowler. He relied heavily on McManaman and crosses from the full backs. While Owen had many different positions on the pitch he could cause problems for the opposition. Owen relied on through balls, but he could also beat players and create something out of nothing.

3. Had he been good enough he would have done, some would call 27 games a chance at international level. There have been better players than Fowler who have picked up less caps than that.

4. If Owen's game was "all about pace" (which is ridiculously incorrect).... why did his seasonal best goal tally come after Owen lost his pace?

1. Owen IMO relied on supply more than Fowler did , Owen relied on the through balls and the knock downs. Fowler was able to pull of magic outside the box as well. Fowler was also able to beat players

2. No one suggested he didn't

3. Fowler IMO didnt get a consistent run in the Engkand set up.

4. Which season do you believe he "lost his pace" ?  03 ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm wrote:

1. Owen IMO relied on supply more than Fowler did , Owen relied on the through balls and the knock downs. Fowler was able to pull of magic outside the box as well. Fowler was also able to beat players

2. No one suggested he didn't

3. Fowler IMO didnt get a consistent run in the Engkand set up.

4. Which season do you believe he "lost his pace" ?  03 ?

1. So Owen never scored a goal by dribbling from the half way line or picking it up out wide and beating a player and slotted it?

2. So what was the f*cking point in coming out with the statement Fowler scored goals that Owen could dream of?

3. Why do you think that was?

4. 2002

As I said, all weak pathetic clueless arguements to back up a clueless and flawed "opinion"
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:47 pm

This could go round in circles

They were both wonderful players for us - I always preferred Robbie and you it appears preferred Owen

There is no right or wrong - just a personal preference.

Fowler just had the lot naturally.
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:58 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:47 pm wrote:This could go round in circles

They were both wonderful players for us - I always preferred Robbie and you it appears preferred Owen

There is no right or wrong - just a personal preference.

Fowler just had the lot naturally.

Like I said, you come out with rubbish. Weak pathetic arguements to back up a weak pathetic opinion.

End of conversation.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 am

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:07 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm wrote:What ya's on about? Fowler! Aka God! Suarez might look better as a forward but Fowler is one of the best strikers ever. Suarez comes nowhere near! When Suarez can do all the footwork AND knock in as many as Robbie, you'd have a point. But football is primarily about goals. They win matches. Tricks don't.

Owen was a better player than Fowler, had more to his game.

Unfortunately Owen lacked a personality and a loyalty to LFC.

:laugh:
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:32 am

i find this whole fowler is `god` stuff a bit embaressing, if fowler is god what does that make the likes of roger hunt and ian rush? those 2 scored twice as many goals for liverpool as fowler and often in high pressure situations like title run in`s and european cup semi finals etc.
rush and hunt did the business for us week in week out for a decade, fowler burst on the scene in a blaze of glory then sort of fizzled out.
billy liddell was a winger and scored more goals for us than fowler!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 am

Will never forget Owen's goal against Argentina in the '98 world cup. Only 18, up against one of the meanest teams in world football and he went through them like a knife through butter. An outstanding player and we were lucky to have him, pity it all went sour in the end.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:32 am wrote:i find this whole fowler is `god` stuff a bit embaressing, if fowler is god what does that make the likes of roger hunt and ian rush? those 2 scored twice as many goals for liverpool as fowler and often in high pressure situations like title run in`s and european cup semi finals etc.
rush and hunt did the business for us week in week out for a decade, fowler burst on the scene in a blaze of glory then sort of fizzled out.

I'm not a scouser so I don't have an affinity with Fowler and don't know if he's referred to as God for other reasons than his ability. I know Rushie is from Wales. Was Hunt a scouser?

Fowler, from an outsider perspective, is considered a champion of the people, so i thought "God" referred more to his stature in that sense.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:40 am

Interesting that Steven Gerrard said , when picking his best 11 that he has played with, he chose Fowler ahead of Owen ...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:16 pm

supersub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 am wrote:Interesting that Steven Gerrard said , when picking his best 11 that he has played with, he chose Fowler ahead of Owen ...

he also said suarez was the better than all of them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:07 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm wrote:What ya's on about? Fowler! Aka God! Suarez might look better as a forward but Fowler is one of the best strikers ever. Suarez comes nowhere near! When Suarez can do all the footwork AND knock in as many as Robbie, you'd have a point. But football is primarily about goals. They win matches. Tricks don't.

Owen was a better player than Fowler, had more to his game.

Unfortunately Owen lacked a personality and a loyalty to LFC.

Close that medicine cabinet now Stu ,you're going to OD fella   :laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

RedAnt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:32 am wrote:i find this whole fowler is `god` stuff a bit embaressing, if fowler is god what does that make the likes of roger hunt and ian rush? those 2 scored twice as many goals for liverpool as fowler and often in high pressure situations like title run in`s and european cup semi finals etc.

I'm not a scouser so I don't have an affinity with Fowler and don't know if he's referred to as God for other reasons than his ability. I know Rushie is from Wales. Was Hunt a scouser?

Fowler, from an outsider perspective, is considered a champion of the people, so i thought "God" referred more to his stature in that sense.

hunt was from one of those little lancashire towns that lie between liverpool and manchester mate. hunt actually scored more league goals for us than anyone in history, rush is our record goalscorer overall but that includes goals from cup competitions, in terms of just league goals hunt is top of the pile.
hunt was a world cup winner too of course.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion