Maybe its time for rafa to go ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:16 am

Trying to remove the Americans will only put the club into freefall.Now is the time to put this sorry 2 months behind us and and work together as a team or we will fail on all fronts.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 am

supersub wrote:Trying to remove the Americans will only put the club into freefall.Now is the time to put this sorry 2 months behind us and and work together as a team or we will fail on all fronts.

Agreed....lets keep them at least until the stadium has been built. After that we should be almost self-sustaining and would be a bigger draw to billionaires all around the world....

Then we can get rid of the yanks....  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:32 am

He needs to get Pako back or a decent number 2
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:11 am

Happy scrappies FFS another label Mick??!! How about 'The fickle Faithless!' just as silly.

All those in favour of removing Rafa and the only name that crops up as a replacement is Mourinho, and its said as though he is waiting in the wings ready to take over. IMHO he will NEVER come to LFC as manager (keep dreaming) and why would he? he has already cut his teeth at Porto with average funds, although in their League he was still the biggest spender, has been at a Club where he had a blank cheque, he probably has one big job in him, and is not going to be at LFC, poor funds, no stability. If G&H couldn't swallow Rafas' mildest words of dissent what chance of reigning in Mourinho?

So think again and come up with some new names....oh let me think.....in all the monthes of wanting Rafa out by a variety of posters NO VIABLE ALTERNATIVES have ever been mentioned, and don't forget the minimum criteria, European experience with some success, winner of a top League, Worldwide respect, young enough to build for the future. I suppose that counts out Dave Jones and Paul Jewell  :;):

If we win nothing this year and do not reach a final it will be a poor season, (enough to get rid of Rafa?) the previous three years have been in general successful campaigns and have added a lustre to the Liverpool name. They'll be dancing in the aisles at the next Club that Rafa goes to if G&H get their way, and only then will some realise how good a manager he is.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:18 am

redtrader74 wrote:Happy scrappies FFS another label Mick??!! How about 'The fickle Faithless!' just as silly.

All those in favour of removing Rafa and the only name that crops up as a replacement is Mourinho, and its said as though he is waiting in the wings ready to take over. IMHO he will NEVER come to LFC as manager (keep dreaming) and why would he? he has already cut his teeth at Porto with average funds, although in their League he was still the biggest spender, has been at a Club where he had a blank cheque, he probably has one big job in him, and is not going to be at LFC, poor funds, no stability. If G&H couldn't swallow Rafas' mildest words of dissent what chance of reigning in Mourinho?

So think again and come up with some new names....oh let me think.....in all the monthes of wanting Rafa out by a variety of posters NO VIABLE ALTERNATIVES have ever been mentioned, and don't forget the minimum criteria, European experience with some success, winner of a top League, Worldwide respect, young enough to build for the future. I suppose that counts out Dave Jones and Paul Jewell:;):

Well I'll throw a name into the ring for arguements sake, Guus Hiddink.

He is a bit of a mercenary as a manager, and seems to be interested in national sides these days.

But the bloke is a very very good tactician, and his sides always play to their strengths. I think he is also very good at, working with what he's got. So if funds are tight I couldnt think of anyone better TBH, he is a great coach.

But probably has no interest in day to day management anymore, so its highly unlikely but still I think he'd be my choice if Rafa were to go.
66-1112520797

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

Bamaga man wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:Happy scrappies FFS another label Mick??!! How about 'The fickle Faithless!' just as silly.

So think again and come up with some new names....oh let me think.....in all the monthes of wanting Rafa out by a variety of posters NO VIABLE ALTERNATIVES have ever been mentioned, and don't forget the minimum criteria, European experience with some success, winner of a top League, Worldwide respect, young enough to build for the future. I suppose that counts out Dave Jones and Paul Jewell:;):

Well I'll throw a name into the ring for arguements sake, Guus Hiddink.

He is a bit of a mercenary as a manager, and seems to be interested in national sides these days.

But the bloke is a very very good tactician, and his sides always play to their strengths. I think he is also very good at, working with what he's got. So if funds are tight I couldnt think of anyone better TBH, he is a great coach.

But probably has no interest in day to day management anymore, so its highly unlikely but still I think he'd be my choice if Rafa were to go.

Fair enough, and my choice would probably be Mourinho ( I don't have to like him  :D ), but as i said what is the likelyhood? None probably for either, and is the shortermism (sp?) of Hiddink any good for the Club? IMO No.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 am

shortermism

What does that mean ? :D
66-1112520797

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:28 am

Bamaga man wrote:
shortermism

fck knows....i'll google it later, sounded ok at the time :D
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:35 am

redtrader74 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
shortermism

fck knows....i'll google it later, sounded ok at the time :D

:laugh:

Fantartar !
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:37 am

Don't like Happy Scrappy Red? Shame I was quite proud of that one  :laugh: On the question of who Rafa's successor will be, (and there will be one, nobody goes on at a club forever) I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it is suddenly the job of the criticisers to find the new manager. Also there is always the assumption that the manager is practically irreplaceable. Are we to assume that he is the only manager in World football who is capable of masterminding a campaign in season four of his tenure which is seeing us battle it out for fourth place with Everton, Aston Villa and Man City? Is he the only manager doing the rounds who could overcome Luton in the FA Cup, as well as restricting Havent and Waterlooville to only two goals at Anfield?

Dave Jones and Paul Jewell :D That's good. There are though a host of managers Worldwide who would jump at the chance of managing our club. Rafa's record in the league lets be honest, is hardly one which would scare those managers in terms of being a hard act to follow, so the range of coaches who could ensure we are at least scrapping it out for fourth place year on year is not perhaps as small as some think. Hiddink is not a bad shout, nor is Mourinho.

My feeling is though that we should put such talk on the back burner until the end of the season. If we don't and the team finsihes even further back than it currently looks like it will, then no doubt some of the "in Rafa we trusters" will no doubt blame the "doom and gloomers" for contributing with their speculation. Lets stcik with the manager and all his methods until the end of the season at the very least, lets see where it takes us. We were twenty one points back last season, this season we've bought Torres and lets see how close we get. You never know, the team might surprise us yet. There is always the chance of course that the much heralded "freshness" will kick in before too much longer.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:48 am

I think Mourinho would come, whats the alternatives for him.... some midtable Italian club. Milan won't want him thats for sure. The Prem is where the money and the best players are and I think he would like to prove he can win it again.

If Rafa doesn't get us to a final and into next seasons CL he should go. Not just because he will have failed this season, but because he will have failed to show he can mount a title challenge in 4 seasons. He needs to show us that he deserves another chance, not be given one out of gratitude for what he did 3 seasons ago. We need to see some evidence of real progress, and we have not seen enough to warrent another chance yet.

Maybe if he brought in an assistant manager I would reconsider and give him another season, even if he did fail this season, but thats my final offer :D

I don't want to see him go, but no-one is bigger than the club.
account deleted by request

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Not to worry Mick i wouldn't give you the job of recruiting a new manager (Innovation would be a no no!)  i was asking for alternatives that are real possiblities, expand the debate maybe. I am not saying that Rafa is irreplacable either, the time will come sooner or later. BTW kick a man while he's down why not, pointing out weaknesses in a Season which has had many external factors affecting it as sarcastic successes, why not mention CL finals eh?

Mourinho has options all over Europe, Madrid, Barcelona and even the Milan Clubs would take him like a shot if their current managers have a weak year, or in the case of Madrid even a good one. The posssibility of success at domestic level is probably higher than at LFC right now. I mean if you had the chance to work at the Halifax or Northern Rock where would you go?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Madrid are walking away with the title, Milan have never recruited from outside the club(I think) Inter are going to win their league, can't see any of them looking to Mourinho.

Barca is a possible and after that Liverpool would be next on the list.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:36 pm

He'll be gone come the summer unfortunately.

I love Rafa, and he's pulled off some remarkable tactical scalps over his tenure, however it seems that he is unable to motivate the players at present. It could be that he is suffering from the owners lack of support, but there have been instances of this before the takeover.

The problem is the players have never liked him imo. They play for him, but they were motivated moreso by Pako, who's gone now.

I also think our coaching is well below what it should be. We have good players, we have a very good squad full of internationals. Players who perform have performed well at previous clubs and for their country. They can't suddenly lose the ability to pass to a teammate over night. We are obviously missing something in training. We have looked like a team of individuals for the majority of the season. Our style of play is horrendous at times and very reminisent of the latter stages under Ged.

I think Rafa's lost his way. The debacle with the owners ceratinly obviously helped matters but the signs have been there for a while. Its got that stale inevitability of 2003/4.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 pm

stmichael wrote:He'll be gone come the summer unfortunately.

I love Rafa, and he's pulled off some remarkable tactical scalps over his tenure, however it seems that he is unable to motivate the players at present. It could be that he is suffering from the owners lack of support, but there have been instances of this before the takeover.

The problem is the players have never liked him imo. They play for him, but they were motivated moreso by Pako, who's gone now.

I also think our coaching is well below what it should be. We have good players, we have a very good squad full of internationals. Players who perform have performed well at previous clubs and for their country. They can't suddenly lose the ability to pass to a teammate over night. We are obviously missing something in training. We have looked like a team of individuals for the majority of the season. Our style of play is horrendous at times and very reminisent of the latter stages under Ged.

I think Rafa's lost his way. The debacle with the owners ceratinly obviously helped matters but the signs have been there for a while. Its got that stale inevitability of 2003/4.

FWIW agree with this post 100%, and its not that I want to as I want Rafa to go. No its because I feel its realistic and frank.

I doubt Mike would be saying this (unless he ripped it from RAWK of course :D ) if he really felt or ment it. Neither do I, I'm not advocating it just to see him go and because I want to be controversial here. Its just something that I have a gut feeling about, reading interviews, players expressions and body languages etc.

Of course I'd get totally the opposite feeling if the players and the manager appeared alot closer than they do, I'd be more optimistic if I saw players playing with fire in their bellies, I'd be more optimistic if we were much better placed in the league table, I'd be much more optimistic if I could see us taking strides not pigeon steps in the right direction.

The part highlighted in bold is something of been thinking to myself for a while too. Why do I get this feeling deep down that the players have never really liked him, as they may of done like previous managers ?
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion