Maxi rodriguez - Thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:59 pm

i missed the first half today so i'm guessing his best moments must have been in that half. he didn't do anything so special in the second that made me sit up and take notice. the most important kick he missed was the one he should have aimed at kuyt's head for taking that shot off the end of his boot.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 am

andy_g wrote:i missed the first half today so i'm guessing his best moments must have been in that half.

They were, for sure. Three moments stood out:

1) Slid Gerrard through in behind who crossed for Torres, shot wide.

2) Flick round the corner for Gerrard to run onto who shot wide.

3) Glancing header at frontpost from Gerrard corner, saved.
LFC2007

Postby Kerry07 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:23 am

Hes very tidy in possession... he doesnt treat the ball as though its a hot potatoe. It doesnt bounce off his shins, and hes calm and composed with the ball at his feet - very rare in our team.

Must start every game, and on the right. Babel should also start on the left as he provides the variation of much needed pace/plus will gain confidence the more he plays. The only change to todays front 6 should be either Aquilani or Benayoun in for kuyt.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 am

I must admit I didn't see anything from him today to get over excited about, and I thought he was a bit quiet overall. I don't know about "Man of the Match" either when Torres and Gerrard play like that, but it's all opinions I suppose.

He's clearly though a good player, has good skill, touch and balance. As LFC said, (and to contradict myself) he certainly offered more with his awareness and touch than Kuyt ever does (although in fairness i though Dirk had a decent game) but there is always a worry from me about his desire when put under physical pressure. People talk about him being cheap at 1.5 mill, but he'll be on a chunky contract which will put the deal up to 10 million quid or so minimum. If I was guessing as to whether or not he'll prove to be worth it, although it's early I'd be a bit doubtful based on what we've seen so far. Like I say though, like Aquilani he is obviously a talented footballer so at least he has a chance.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:15 am

I agree BM, he had a good game and possibly his best, but I think some are getting carried away. I see the animosity towards Kuyt remains, any excuse to exclude Kuyt from the XI, but against a more difficult opposition then I'd rather have Kuyt than Maxi. I think the same "getting carried away" applies to Babel, had a better than usual game, but where again was the end product? Still I guess the more names you can get carried away over, the further back in a queue you can shove Kuyt.............................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 am

I think that Maxi will become a bargain signing to one day rival that of Sammi. He is a class act and has shown it playing for club and country; with the only question mark being if he will adapt to the physical demands and pace of the English game. However of all south american players it seems that those from Argentina have managed to adapt better than most. (with the exception of that bald bloke Veron who played for MANURE)!!!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 am

Is a technically good player who lacks the pace needed to be top class. Will score a dozen goals if he stays for the next season or so and will therefore justify his fee.

hard to get too excited though, he is squad "filler" more than anything else.
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 am

personally i think hes been woefull in 90% of his games so far

falls over to easy,lacks pace, cant beat players
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:56 am

He is not a wide player that will beat his man one on one or tricky.
But he is a clever player with good awareness, two good feet and spots a pass as well.
Against Portsmouth and Sunderland he played really well and i think he should definately be in the side ahead of Kuyt.
You can see the difference in the fluency of our attacks when he is in the side.
Kuyt robbed him of a very good chance of a goal yeterday as well.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:31 am

I like him. He excels when the passing and movement in the team is good. Should never play on the left though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fauxy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm

He is improving every week, settling in very well.

He just needs to adjust to the pace and physicality of this league a bit more and he will be fine.
Fauxy

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Fauxy, I'm not convinced he will....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby DrPepe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Fauxy, I'm not convinced he will....

does he need to?

this isn't a 15mill (or even a 8m) player - this guy was bought for  about a tenth of Nani's fee (for example) and is probably on less wages too.

He was a bit of an emergency  purchase to increase the attacking potential of an underperforming squad :p

he's effectively disposable  :laugh:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:35 pm

hhhhmmm.... 'maxi disposable'. sounds like a different kind of product to me.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:01 pm

hes ok at 1.5 mill but should be play infront of babel or benayoun?

nope
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion