MAXI RODRIGUEZ - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:50 pm

bigmick wrote:IMHO Maxi Rodriguez is totally unsuited to English Football and was overpriced as a free transfer on his wages.

:laugh:  you have something against italian and argentine players don't you Big Mick? Maxi has always been a consistent player for Athletico and his national team. He scored consistently for Athletico as well, for a winger, his scoring record wasn't too bad. So how can that be considered a panic buy? Aquilani was a desperate buy, arguably a panic buy but not Maxi. As for wether he is suitable for english football, he's only had half a season and scored a goal and had 3 assists. If Roy deserves more time to be judged, then surely so does Maxi. I believe he will be useful player, if he doesn't complain about not getting enough games, because it looks like he's behind cole and kuyt. For me, I would play him before I play Jovanovich. Even if he's a sub, it's not too bad to have an argentine international coming off the bench. That's what having a squad is about.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:12 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I disagree Mick ...if Maxi has anything about him its his ability to read the play ...this is essential in a strikers game as you well know ... I think that's why a number of Managers have deployed him in this position simply because of his knack (which he has proved time and time again ) of showing  at times a sublime first touch to make space for himself in order to get off a shot on goal
I think given our complete lack of options visa vie Ngog or God love us Babel... then Rodriguez would make a complimentary foil for Torres
(coincidentally they linked up quite well for Athletico )....... so I would disagree there mate and as for a panic buy I genuinely believe Rafa brought him in to add quality to the team... which I don't think its open to debate he  undoubtedly possesses ,but I wouldn't say buying a proven Argentine and current International was indeed a panic buy .... but like you say its all about opinions mine is that Maxi would fill a gap due to our glaring lack of quality to partner Torres .....

Agree with this mate.

I don't think Maxi is a bad player, he is a decent player who is a good squad player and can do the job when needed. Maxi is better than Babel, he will give us option.

for free, he is a good squad player
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:30 pm

As I say MH its just an idea that I thought needed putting out there..... especially given our scarcity of strikers who could compliment the runs and movement of Torres .... he's a clever player mate I just think we should use his football brain to maximum effect and imo that would be in a supporting role with Torres
Just to add further I think with Cole just playing behind them
the link up play between the three could be our biggest threat going forward and when you add Meireles to that equation we could just see some beautiful football being played again at Anfield
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Dont agree with you mick about maxi, i can sort of see your reasoning as there are times where he seems to get bullied out of things and the pace can sometimes appear too much.
But he is a proper footballer, and you can never have too many of them in your team or nowadays your squad.
He is someone that can take the ball into feet and pick the right pass. He has a good touch a decent shot as well.
He isnt the quickest or the trickiest but i still really like him.
I se where redbeergoggles is coming from as in that congested area he is someone that is clever enough to unlock defences with either some clever movement or a decent pass.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 pm

maguskwt wrote:
bigmick wrote:IMHO Maxi Rodriguez is totally unsuited to English Football and was overpriced as a free transfer on his wages.

:laugh:  you have something against italian and argentine players don't you Big Mick? Maxi has always been a consistent player for Athletico and his national team. He scored consistently for Athletico as well, for a winger, his scoring record wasn't too bad. So how can that be considered a panic buy? Aquilani was a desperate buy, arguably a panic buy but not Maxi. As for wether he is suitable for english football, he's only had half a season and scored a goal and had 3 assists. If Roy deserves more time to be judged, then surely so does Maxi. I believe he will be useful player, if he doesn't complain about not getting enough games, because it looks like he's behind cole and kuyt. For me, I would play him before I play Jovanovich. Even if he's a sub, it's not too bad to have an argentine international coming off the bench. That's what having a squad is about.

I've got nothing against Argentinian or Italian players, I'm just not keen on ones who aren't up to it. Tevez is a great player, Masherano was good too and Aguerro would rip up the Premiership. I do think however that David Silva will flop at Man City (I know he's Spanish but I'm just going with your thrust). I thought he'd flop if we'd have signed him, and I think he'll flop with them.

I do though agree with you on Jovanovic, I don't think he's good enough, although it is early and all that.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:Dont agree with you mick about maxi, i can sort of see your reasoning as there are times where he seems to get bullied out of things and the pace can sometimes appear too much.
But he is a proper footballer, and you can never have too many of them in your team or nowadays your squad.
He is someone that can take the ball into feet and pick the right pass. He has a good touch a decent shot as well.
He isnt the quickest or the trickiest but i still really like him.
I se where redbeergoggles is coming from as in that congested area he is someone that is clever enough to unlock defences with either some clever movement or a decent pass.

What he said
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:31 pm

if Maxi offers anything to the team, ive yet to see it.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:40 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:if Maxi offers anything to the team, ive yet to see it.

What Ben said you noob :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:02 pm

metalhead wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:if Maxi offers anything to the team, ive yet to see it.

What Ben said you noob :D

i think he is too slow. but it would be a good idea to try him with Torres. nothing to lose anyway. he has a better footballing brain than Babel for sure.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 pm

My train of thought is basically ...that  if you have a player who can play in two positions and is equally adept in either ,then surely we should  play him in the position we have the least amount of options ,and that would be as a striker supporting Torres... especially with them being familiar with each others runs having dovetailed quite efficiently when playing together for Athletico....
I just think it could be a temporary solution for our striker dilemma .....
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:12 pm

he's a passenger for the majority of games he plays in and a shadow of the player he was before his injuries.

I'd get rid, but only once we have someone to take his place on the bench.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Come in No17 your time is up

Can someone tell me what this guy brings to the team?

Surely he cant start the next game....
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:29 am

Babel hasnt been playing too badly recently, or at least not as bad as Maxi.

He should be starting on the right wing
Fauxy

Postby azriahmad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:58 am

Maxi was very poor against Birmingham, he was just a little bir better against Mancs. He played reasonably OK against Steua (wrong spelling? I can't really be bothered to check...) Bucharest.

Maxi played well for Atletico Madrid against us...if that is the real Maxi, he'd better turn up soon...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:38 am

Maxi hasn't look good in most of the league games since he came. EPL just doesn't seems to suit him as I think he needs a lot of players that can play on the ground like the Spanish league. THat's why he played better there than here since it is all about power and speed rather than finesse here. I think he is not as bad as he seems but need others to make him look better on the pitch. Bottomline, he is an expensive bench player. So, better sell if there is any takers. I would give Pacheco or Babel a chance instead.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion