Mascherano quality?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:41 am

Mascherano has been worth every penny so far. He really is an asset to the squad. Saying that I tend to agree with the ITV commentators last night that he is a player who thrives around quality, and this is probably why he struggled to make a strong impact at West Ham. Having the likes of Alonso, Gerrard, etc around you can only bring out the best in a player.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:57 am

Mascherano quality?

I'm surprised there's a question mark on the thread title ,surely it should be a statement of fact . You don't get to play for Argentina without possessing a bucket load of quality . His performances for us so far are just confirming it .

Why West Ham failed to utilize him is beyond me .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:01 am

He certainly looked a very good player last night (or this morning as I actually watched the game for once woohoo!).

Just to clear up the holding midfielder thing, Sissoko of course isn't one in any way shape or form. In actual fact on the odd occasion that he takes up positions which a holding midfielder would, his lack of awareness and tendency to ball-watch creates more problems than it solves. I have a recollection of a goal we conceded against Man U (I think) where he actually went in the opposite direction to the one which he should have after taking up the holding position. No he's like an attacker in his own box or a defender one on one with the opposition keeper, a fish out of water.

What he is though, and I suspect this will ensure those who are writing him off are being very premature, is probably the most destructive ball-winning midfielder in Europe right now. Increasingly as defences have become better drilled and systems honed to the point of perfection, top teams concede more goals on the back of them losing posession in a dangerous area than they do when a team rips them apart with fancy build up play. Chelsea won two league titles by defending well and then hitting teams hard when they lost the ball in awkward areas of the pitch and Sissoko raids behind enemy lines better than anyone around. My hunch for a very long time is that he will become a really really important part of our team. Many don't, can't or won't agree but I think his place in the majority of fixtures is secure. My hunch is that a  central midfield of Mascherano and Alonso would be a bit samey and wouldn't provide enough punch. There, a football post and my first for about three months   :)
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:03 am

Hey BigMick just saw your now a Mod!!!! Nice one mate you deserve it!!!

So have we actually bought Mascherano or is it an 18 month loan?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:08 am

I'm not as quick as you are to make a decent opinion! I need more matches.

Of course I know that a Argentina international cannot be a bad player and I've seen things that I've liked a lot (1)
but I need to see him more. It was also necessary to me to cover the gap that Hamman left and remained uncovered in the summer.

Sabre

(1) For instance, the Gerrard goal. Mascherano roamed to the right of the pitch in a clever move while covered by Alonso, received the ball, then Finnan saw the movement and went forward, Mascherano sent him a good pass and Finnan put an excellent cross, Gerrard had moved to the box aswell and could finnish. A Rafa goal, A Tactics Book goal, that was originated (IMHO) by Mascherano.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:13 am

Best bit of business the club has done since Alonso came.
He's our Makelele what he done for Chelsea he will do for us.
Superb player has slotted right in like he has been here all season.
I like Sissoko aswell though but out of the two Masch looks better and more intellegent with the ball.

Sissoko might struggle to get back in midfield now, and TBH we have havent missed him the last two games either.
Herad we payed 1.5 million with an option to buy after 18 months not to sure like?
As other rumours say we have already paid 10 million.

Fergie wanted him and rated him at 20 million pounds, now out of him and Carrick I know which one I prefer.
He is going to be superb for us.
I hope we can keep him, Pardew said last night when asked why he didnt play him, was that he was better suited to a top team with better players around him.
This I believe is true but I dont think it was the reason maybe a clause in the contract that they had to pay MSI some money based on appearences.

Over the moon with him if we would have bought him for say 15-20 million at the start of the season everyone would be exstatic.
Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:23 am

Fantastic player...very clever,loves to tackle, can pass the ball nicely this guy is pure quality..

And the best of all he and Alonso suit each other perfectly they just click,  both of them are going to bring their best out of each other.
Elchris

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:26 am

bavlondon wrote:Hey BigMick just saw your now a Mod!!!! Nice one mate you deserve it!!!

You don't know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment any more do you Mick?
jonnymac1979

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Hey BigMick just saw your now a Mod!!!! Nice one mate you deserve it!!!

You don't know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment any more do you Mick?

:down:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 am

It just shows what a sh!te job I've been doing due to the relocation but I'm back now. One other good thing last night, and I know he's been slagged a touch recently was Kuyt ducking under the ball for Gerrards goal. Clearly he got a shout but not many strikers have the awareness to hear it and act upon it when the ball is in mid-air. I think he's a good player and that he will score plenty of goals. Those that are getting impatient with him shouldn't worry too much in my opinion.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:50 am

Bigmick , i agree totally with what you say about momo , i just think that we have a player in mascherano , who can do all the same as momo ,but with the bonus that he can control and pass a ball . It is no coincidence that in the last two games the ball retention and control of the game has been of a far higher level with mascherano in the side.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:11 am

Clearly he got a shout but not many strikers have the awareness to hear it and act upon it when the ball is in mid-air.

I think all footballers should be able to do that, I was taught that as a kid. That doesnt make him special in my book thats just part and parcel of being a footballer.
66-1112520797

Postby alxy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am

Momo is better at ball winning than Mascherano, but that's it. Mascherano beats him in every other meaningful category. And Masch is not that bad at ball winning either. This was what I meant in my earlier thread that besides ball winning, what else can Momo offer us as he is absolutely s.hit when he has the ball. And Masch seems to have provided the answer. This is the complete all-round game that Momo should strive to achieve. Nothing against Momo, I like him and do hope that he betters his game to be like Masch one day. But at the moment, Masch is da man!
alxy

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:06 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:Momo Sissoko is obviously a holding midfielder. What else can he be if he is a ball winner?

More to the point whats your starting XI for the remaining fixtures? :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:13 pm

bigmick wrote:He certainly looked a very good player last night (or this morning as I actually watched the game for once woohoo!).

Just to clear up the holding midfielder thing, Sissoko of course isn't one in any way shape or form. In actual fact on the odd occasion that he takes up positions which a holding midfielder would, his lack of awareness and tendency to ball-watch creates more problems than it solves. I have a recollection of a goal we conceded against Man U (I think) where he actually went in the opposite direction to the one which he should have after taking up the holding position. No he's like an attacker in his own box or a defender one on one with the opposition keeper, a fish out of water.

What he is though, and I suspect this will ensure those who are writing him off are being very premature, is probably the most destructive ball-winning midfielder in Europe right now. Increasingly as defences have become better drilled and systems honed to the point of perfection, top teams concede more goals on the back of them losing posession in a dangerous area than they do when a team rips them apart with fancy build up play. Chelsea won two league titles by defending well and then hitting teams hard when they lost the ball in awkward areas of the pitch and Sissoko raids behind enemy lines better than anyone around. My hunch for a very long time is that he will become a really really important part of our team. Many don't, can't or won't agree but I think his place in the majority of fixtures is secure. My hunch is that a  central midfield of Mascherano and Alonso would be a bit samey and wouldn't provide enough punch. There, a football post and my first for about three months   :)

And a rubbish one aswell...

:D

In all seriousness providing whats ahead of Alonso and Mascherano is good enough, I can see them being more than good enough.

For that two work we NEED a left winger who can score and two attackers. I'd love to see Tevez, I like Ashton and we obviously need someone with a bit of pace who likes to get in behind. Tevez gives you the option of playing someone in the hole.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion