Mascherano quality?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Anyway...back on topic. Heres an article from todays post. Great to see the lad settling in:

I’m loving Liverpool, declares midfielder Apr 9 2007
by Nick Smith, Liverpool Daily Post

JAVIER MASCHERANO has hinted that he is hoping to convince Liverpool to make his move permanent.

The Argentinian, currently on an 18-month loan from West Ham, joined in January after a miserable first five months in English football at Upton Park.

But since Liverpool paid £1.5million to secure his services for the remainder of this season and next, the Argentine World Cup star has gradually regained his rhythm.

The 22-year-old was man of the match in Liverpool’s 2-1 win at Reading on Saturday, which was his fourth successive start and completed his role in Liverpool’s hat-trick of victories in a week, which has consolidated both their progress in the Champions League and quest to finish third in the Premiership.

And Mascherano acknowledged that his switch to Anfield has been central to him finally settling into English football.

“The truth is I am very happy with Liverpool,” said Mascherano. “Everybody is treating me very well and I hope it continues like that.

“It is good to be in a dressing where there is a lot of Spanish spoken but at the same time we try to speak in English because we are in England and we have to respect that fact.

“But there is a great atmosphere in the dressing room and things are going very well. My team-mates, the technical staff and the fans have been really good to me and that is important.

“And (Reading) was my fourth consecutive game so I am very happy because I have been getting a good run in the side.

“I know what my job is out on the pitch and luckily, here at Liverpool there are some great players. When you are playing with such great players you really enjoy it.

“It is much easier to play alongside great players like the ones here at Liverpool.”

The price that Mascherano commands when his initial loan expires could be a potential sticking point for Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez when he decides whether to keep the midfielder.

But the player who featured in every minute of Argentina’s World Cup

campaign in Germany last summer, is concentrating on ensuring Liverpool’s short-term targets rather than his personal long-teem goals.

“I am very happy here,” added Mascherano. “But we will have to see what happens about the future. At the moment I am just concentrating on what needs to be done, making sure that we finish the season strongly.

“Hopefully we can achieve something very important by winning a European title. There is still a long way to go and hopefully we will put in a good performance on Wednesday to make sure we are in the semi-finals.

“Then next season we will see how things are going but I am relaxed and very happy here with Liverpool.”

Liverpool achieved victory at Reading thanks to Dirk Kuyt’s header four minutes from time, after Alvaro Arbeloa had earlier given them the lead by becoming their first ‘number two’ to score in the Premiership.

The victory grew in significance when Arsenal suffered their first defeat at the Emirates Stadium against West Ham, leaving them five points adrift of third-placed Liverpool.

“We knew that we needed the three points,” said Mascherano. “It was important because

there are still some big league games to come

“We need to keep winning to make sure we are in the Champions League next season.”

Xabi Alonso missed Liverpool’s first ever trip to Reading with a minor groin injury but is expected to be back in contention for a place in Wednesday’s Champions League quarter-final second leg at home to PSV Eindhoven.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:28 pm

We should pay the asking price for him if Manure payed 18 million for Carrick, then we must find the money to buy Masch Sissoko or Alonso havent replaced Hamman.
And we have missed Hamman with Masch we have found dare I say a better replacement?
But its how to fit them all in thats the problem thank god I am not the manager.

Plus it p.isses Fergie off cause he tried to buy him and Alonso  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Definitely quality..... I didn't know much about him until the last World Cup but what I saw seriously impressed the heck out of me..... Was sure he'd be off to one of the big italian or spanish cups after the world cup..... was STAGGERED when West Ham of all people managed to secure his services along with Tevez.......

We should definitely make this arrangement a permant one.... especially if he's happy as suggested by the article in red37's post above....
ConnO'var

Postby fivecups » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:16 pm

He's looked fantastic since his arrival in Liverpool. Dissapointed he's not playing tonight - I think he's pure quality.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Ciggy wrote:We should pay the asking price for him if Manure payed 18 million for Carrick, then we must find the money to buy Masch Sissoko or Alonso havent replaced Hamman.
And we have missed Hamman with Masch we have found dare I say a better replacement?
But its how to fit them all in thats the problem thank god I am not the manager.

Plus it p.isses Fergie off cause he tried to buy him and Alonso  :D

Very similar to didi, but masch is quicker and more agile than hamann, but hamann is better in the air and stronger than masch.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:33 pm

still makes me laugh that we've essentially got this guy for nothing for 18 months and the scum are still considering paying up to £20m for hargreaves in the summer. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu.Murph » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Hargreaves is rediculously overated.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm

stmichael wrote:still makes me laugh that we've essentially got this guy for nothing for 18 months and the scum are still considering paying up to £20m for hargreaves in the summer. :D

Does anyone actually know what the deal is for Maschereno?

I've heard varying reports.

1) We have paid £1.5m up front for an 18 month loan and the option to buy him for £17m at the end of it.

2)We have actually bought him for £10m/£17m due to the Premier League looking into who owns him.

3) He's just on an 18 month contract - no options to buy.

It seems the deal done to take him and Tevez to West Ham was very complex and probably illegal in the eyes of the Premier League. We've been cleared of any wrong-doings so I am not that bothered but it would be nice to know if he is actually ours after the start he has made. I never thought we would ever have a chance of signing a player like this around a year ago but look how times have changed. For me he's a better choice in the centre than Sissoko, who does have his uses, and I feel him and Xabi could form a very good partnership over the next 12 months.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:06 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
stmichael wrote:still makes me laugh that we've essentially got this guy for nothing for 18 months and the scum are still considering paying up to £20m for hargreaves in the summer. :D

Does anyone actually know what the deal is for Maschereno?

I've heard varying reports.

1) We have paid £1.5m up front for an 18 month loan and the option to buy him for £17m at the end of it.

2)We have actually bought him for £10m/£17m due to the Premier League looking into who owns him.

3) He's just on an 18 month contract - no options to buy.

It seems the deal done to take him and Tevez to West Ham was very complex and probably illegal in the eyes of the Premier League. We've been cleared of any wrong-doings so I am not that bothered but it would be nice to know if he is actually ours after the start he has made. I never thought we would ever have a chance of signing a player like this around a year ago but look how times have changed. For me he's a better choice in the centre than Sissoko, who does have his uses, and I feel him and Xabi could form a very good partnership over the next 12 months.

I heard we loaned him for free, bought his contract for less than 2m.  Then after 18 months we have the option for around 10million. If it's true its a great deal.

I believe that if we activate the clause to buy him after 18 months he then becomes our player and severs all ties with MSI. From that point on, we can sell him to whoever we like.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rafa D » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:14 pm

stmichael wrote:we can sell him to whoever we like.

I hope if he continues to progress as he has been doing in his short time here, when we do buy him, it will be to keep him and not lose him to the highest bidder.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Hargreaves is rediculously overated.

tell that to some people! your right there stu.. very overrated!

just because he had one good game in the WC, they made him the best player for england.. jeez!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:52 pm

MASK erano or MASH erano?  I have heard it said both ways
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 pm

MASK erano or MASH erano?  I have heard it said both ways

It's an Italian surname. If it's said in Italian it would be Maskerano.

If it's said in Spanish, Mascherano, pronouncing the che, just like you say check
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:35 am

does he have any nicknames at liverpool yet, I know its early in his career but he has been one of our best players lately.  It said that his spanish nickname was jefecito meaning little chief anybody in the kop calling him that?
JoeTerp

Postby red_guy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:24 am

This guy is quality.For quite a time,  heard a lot of good things about him and my brother just can't stop talking about him. Back then , i thought he's going to Chelsea or any  european big clubs. But now we have him in our grasp. We need to sign him permanently or it will be a Big Loss for us.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion