Mascherano and gerrard - Can someone please explain this?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:54 pm

If ya look closely your'll see I said i'd stick with the Alonso-Gerrard combo. I also agree Masch-Gerrard are a bit flat together HOWEVER, if they regularly played in a side with genuine dangermen on the flanks this wouldn't be such an issue.

Correct, but even without those flanks, we wouldn't be talking about a bad pairing compared to others.

In this forum we go from white to black too easily. If someone thinks Mascherano is the best defensive midfielder, fair enough, but that doesn't make Alonso a bad defensive midfielder whatsoever.

If someone thinks Alonso and Gerrard are less flat, fair enough, but that doesn't make the Gerrard-Mascherano pairing bad at all.

My point is simple: go to any top league, Spain, Germany, Italy and England, and tell every manager whether they'd play with Mascherano and Gerrard and tell them your fears about them being flat: they'll laugh and they'd say bring those two. Except Ferguson perhaps because he hates us so much.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:39 pm

pass_da_dutchie wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
pass_da_dutchie wrote:only a total idiot couldn't see how good Steive and Masch are together...total waste of space this thread.

If you don't like it, don't post in it.  Simple.   :kungfu:

if you don't like my posts, don't read them. Simple.  :kungfu:

That partnership was a disaster last season you have to agree with that though.  But maybe it will be different now, because we finally have got a good balance in the wide areas and Gerrard has been playing like a proper CM, the last couple of games.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby The Good Yank » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Scottbot wrote:I haven't written off Gerrard and Masch as a partnership but I'd say their partnership in the middle would be more effective with 2 genuinely dangerous wide-men either side and that is something we haven't really seen is it?

Not to be an :censored: or anything but, Um, Wouldn't that be said about any midfield pairing?
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:55 pm

pass_da_dutchie wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
pass_da_dutchie wrote:only a total idiot couldn't see how good Steive and Masch are together...total waste of space this thread.

If you don't like it, don't post in it.  Simple.   :kungfu:

if you don't like my posts, don't read them. Simple.  :kungfu:

Or I could stop giving you the benefit of the doubt, take you for the WUM I suspect you are, and just bin you?  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby pass_da_dutchie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:22 pm

or you could take my advice.

:censored: sake i'm thought to be someone else now? again? i've already recieved a pm off lfc 2007 asking if i was some alter-ego called bill. is that who you think i am as well and you've got lfc 2007 to do your dirty work? :censored: this place is run well in it. one little :censored: take and you're under suspicion. thank :censored: i don't use this forum as my number one place to discuss liverpool. i'd be suicidial if i did.

by the way we can all do silly smilies at the end of posts...look  :glare:  :no  :kungfu: clever :censored: aren't i.
Last edited by pass_da_dutchie on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pass_da_dutchie

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 pm

pass_da_dutchie wrote:or you could take my advice.

:censored: sake i'm thought to be someone else now? again? i've already recieved a pm off lfc 2007 asking if i was some alter-ego called bill. is that who you think i am as well and you've got lfc 2007 to do your dirty work? :censored: this place is run well in it. one little :censored: take and you're under suspicion. thank :censored: i don't use this forum as my number one place to discuss liverpool. i'd be suicidial if i did.

by the way we can all do silly smilies at the end of posts...look  :glare:  :no  :kungfu: clever :censored: aren't i.

I'm guessing either Bluekipper or Red Cafe is your "number 1 place to discuss Liverpool", WUM.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.   :O  :kungfu:  :suspect:  :p  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bam » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Scottbot wrote:It all depends on the game and the form of the players for me. Let's face it, if you were playing away to the mancs, Chelsea or Arsenal you would want all three players in the team. Same goes for a big European game, whether that means playing Gerrard on the right or in a free role. If it's just 2 from 3 then I would look at the form of the players. with Alonso playing so well and really grabbing his opportunity with Masch at the olympics I'd stick with the Gerrard/Xabi partnership. They were superb last week and deserve to play again this weekend, FWIW I don't think the manager will change the midfield this weekend.

I haven't written off Gerrard and Masch as a partnership but I'd say their partnership in the middle would be more effective with 2 genuinely dangerous wide-men either side and that is something we haven't really seen is it? Stu says they are flat when they play together and he is right but our ENTIRE midfield is pretty flat to be honest. We have a safety first manager and play with 2 banks of four much of the time with wide players more akin to grafting and making a tackle. On the flip side I recall BOTH Gerrard and Masch had an EXCELLENT game against Chelsea in the Champ League 2nd leg at Anfield two years back. they were both awesome that night. 

Still, for now I would stick with what we have. It's not the manager's style but I think he will do the same. If Masch plays this weekend then I'll bet Stevie pushes up and Keane sits it out.

Good post Scott.

As it stands now with Kuyt out on the right, the midfield would seem better balanced having Xabi in the center. Lets face it Kuyts almost doing a Mascha-esk job out the right, and quality ball retention and composure needs to come from somewhere.
Last edited by Bam on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Guess he wasn't Bill  :(   :D
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion