Mascerano set to move? - Platini "favours" transfer.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scouse_legend » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Wtf?? lol soz aint got a clue what uses talking about ???  :laugh:

Scouse_legend

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:20 pm

If the contract clause is true, then they must let him move, as there is no way he will play another game for West Ham.

Stupid rules enforced by baffoons.

Welcome to FIFA.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 pm

RAFA HOPEFUL MASCHERANO WILL BE A RED
Steve Hunter 29 January 2007 
  Rafael Benitez is hoping that Argentinian ace Javier Mascherano will become a Liverpool player subject to a successful appeal from FIFA and believes the holding midfielder would be a very useful asset for his team. 
The Reds are still waiting to hear whether their appeal to FIFA to allow West Ham's Mascherano to sign for the Reds will be successful, but Benitez is quietly confident the deal will go through even if the transfer window deadline expires.

"We are waiting to hear from FIFA but I hope we can sign Mascherano, even if the transfer deadline passes," commented Benitez.

"He is a player with a good character, good mentality and personality and has the qualities we need. I knew about this player when he was with River Plate. He was playing in their reserve team but already in the national team. That shows you the quality and the character of the player.

"I have been speaking with one of his former manager's and he was talking really well about him as a player, a person and a professional.

"He had a good World Cup and is a good player. Some people might say 'Why do we need another midfielder when we have Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Zenden?' Well, the only holding midfielder is Xabi Alonso and Mascherano will be another option. If we are successful he will sign for at least a year and a half and he has the quality to play well in the Premiership."
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:50 pm

I think Mascherano has the quality to be in our side even if he doesn't seem to have settled at West Ham, we have more of a South American influence in our squad so I think he'll be ok :cool:
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:59 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=432371&in_page_id=1779

Apparently he is on his way....
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 am

From the Daily Mail 30/01/07:

Liverpool have announced the signing of Javier Mascherano from West Ham in an 18-month loan deal that has bent football's rules.

Mascherano, who was deemed not good enough for West Ham's relegation battle by Alan Curbishley, will be thrust into Liverpool's Champions League campaign instead.

The signing is reward for Liverpool's patience.

They hoped to sign the Argentine midfield powerhouse, 22, at the start of the transfer window, but have had to wait while lawyers have thrashed out a deal with UEFA and FIFA, because players aren't supposed to move clubs twice in a season. Mascherano has already played for Corinthians, as well as West Ham.

The authorities finally agreed to cave in on the transfer and it will be announced tomorrow, on the final day of the transfer window.

Rafa Benitez last night saluted the signing. "We have an agreement to take him on loan for 18 months then we have an option to sign him permanently.

"He is a top class player and played at the top level at the World Cup. We were monitoring him when he was with River Plate. The only question is whether he can play to his level in England, but I know he can play a lot better than he did at West Ham.

"We don't have another holding midfielder and this is a crucial time for us. We will play against West Ham, Everton, Newcastle, Sheffield United and Barcelona twice."

Mascherano made only three Premiership starts with West Ham, and seven appearances altogether.

Benitez added: "Maybe Liverpool can be a better option for him because we can speak in Spanish to him and we play a different style of football that suits him better. Corinthians and River Plate are top sides in their countries and he is used to winning trophies. I think he will have more possibilities with us."

Benitez also explained why he expected to get his man. "There is a big difference between the law and the rules," he said. "A worker cannot be stopped working. That's the law in the European Community.

"Then there are the rules, which can change depending on your country or continent. There are players in the world now who have played for three or four clubs in a season.

"The rules are one thing, but the law is another. Nobody can stop people moving to other jobs. They have freedom and they need to work. The law is more important than the rules."

Liverpool are moving to secure the long-term future of a number of their top men because of a new regulation giving a player the right to buy out his contract when it entered the last two years.

Benitez confirmed that Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher would be offered new deals in the summer along with Spanish pair Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia.

great news.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby kunilson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:30 am

look above ur post :;):

it is that good a piece of news it should be said twice heh
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:41 am

kunilson wrote:look above ur post :;):

it is that good a piece of news it should be said twice heh

:D   too right....

then again, i could well of been a dickhe4d and bumped up the original thread i started on the subject so.......but no, your right, its great business. And im certain one that will be appreciated by all parties concerned.

Live long and prosper  :cool:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:26 am

I don't wish to be pedantic, but I won't believe he's signed until the club release a statement to that fact.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I don't wish to be pedantic, but I won't believe he's signed until the club release a statement to that fact.

Exactly.

The day I believe the Daily Mail is the day that I run into Liverpool town centre boll#ck naked screaming some jibberish about asylum seekers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:51 pm

looks like the deal is done

Anfield Online
LIVERPOOL FC NEWS 
Mon 29 Jan 07 (23:23)  by Dave Needham (Anfield Online)
Liverpool complete Argentinian midfielder signing 
Just as the transfer window was finally getting ready to slam shut, Liverpool have completed the signing of Javier Mascherano, the Argentinian World Cup star, who has been rotting away out of sight at Premiership strugglers West Ham United.

The reds have completed an 18 month loan deal for Mascherano from the Hammers after FIFA finally relented and relaxed their rule insisting a player could not play for more than two clubs in a season. As reported earlier this month, the player actually had his medical with Liverpool over 3 weeks ago.

Rafa Benitez had this to say, and is hopeful that he has the power to turn Mascherano (who was a star of the Argentinian team in the 2006 World Cup) in to a great Premiership player:

“We have an agreement to take him on loan for 18 months then we have an option to sign him permanently.

“He is a top class player and the only question is whether he can play to his level in England. But I know he can play a lot better than he did at West Ham.”

Benitez pointed to a number of factors in his favour:

“West Ham are a fantastic club but maybe it wasn’t the right club for him,” he said.

“Maybe Liverpool can be a better option for him because we can speak in Spanish to him and we play a different style of football.”

The signing is widely predicted to be Liverpool’s only signing in the January transfer window which could impact significantly on the first team. However Liverpool are now out of both domestic cup competitions, have 14 critical Premiership games left, a two-legged affair against Barcelona, and Rafa is notorious for not playing first team squad players in reserve fixtures
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:57 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 am

From BBC:

Mascherano free to join Liverpool 

West Ham midfielder Javier Mascherano has been given special dispensation by Fifa to join Liverpool from West Ham.
Under Fifa's rules, a footballer cannot play competitively for more than two different clubs between 1 July and 30 June the following year.

Mascherano, 22, has already represented Corinthians and West Ham in that time.

But Fifa said: "The Fifa single judge ruled that Javier Mascherano is eligible to play in official matches with Liverpool with immediate effect."

Mascherano arrived at Upton Park with international team-mate Carlos Tevez on 31 August.

But he has played only six minutes since the defeat at Tottenham on 22 October and had been desperate to leave the club.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 am

On Eurosport it says hes set to go straight into the 1st team against Everton. Easy tiger :D

You never know it might have been a blessing in disguise that he didnt work out for West Ham as if he had we might have not been able to get a mention as surley his price would have sky rocketed. Still I have confidence in Rafas talent spotting ability and the fact that he was training with the national 1st team at 18 must mean hes not toally rubbish. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 am

I hope this one comes off TBH, I was gutted when Mascherano and Tevez turned up at the Hammers £50 mil woth of talent ??? if he can settle with us and can be signed permenantly he will be worth a bomb to the club as an Argentinian international and a good player, and i think he's only 22/23.

Come on the reds :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion