Martin o'neill - Not comming!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:44 am

Care to elaborate ? Me and you haven't made the best start have we ? LOL :laugh:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cobby wallace » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:06 am

:angry: Happy new year folks Martin O'Neil is the man to do it GH can never deliver. I still miss Daglish though
cobby wallace

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:11 am

Don't we All mate !!!!!!!!!  :p  Miss Kenny  :O What is he doing apart from beinga  pundit on ITV's Carling cup coverage >?
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:12 am

The pressure of being a manager these days is much more intense than before. I read Alan Hansen's article in the Telegraph that it takes more than being a successful former player to become a successful manager and although he loves football, he is not the type who needs the aggro - unlike Souness or Dalglish.
Having said that, even Dalglish looked like he does not enjoy it anymore towards the end of his time at Newcastle. Nowadays, it has become like the Italian or Spanish leagues with instant results being demanded. At Liverpool, the fans are generally more tolerant while still as demanding as any fans, but the history and tradition adds to the pressure. I think Dalglish would not want to be in that position just as yet...perhaps a few more years down the road.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhillyBhoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:41 pm

Calm down Scousers... MON is going nowhere.  Glasgow is a rumour mill without comparison in England.  Too many chip-wrappers and too intense a public interest chasing too few stories.   MON has been "seen buying houses" everywhere from Manchester to North London over the last three years.  None of these rumours were true.  MON may use an offer from Liverpool to extract money from players from the Celtic board- but if he is taking to threatening legal action on this subject, then I think it is fair to say that he isn't going anywhere.

Besides, why leave the green slopes of Celtic Park for mid-table mediocrity in England?
PhillyBhoy

Postby greenred » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:02 pm

PhillyBhoy wrote:Calm down Scousers... MON is going nowhere.  Glasgow is a rumour mill without comparison in England.  Too many chip-wrappers and too intense a public interest chasing too few stories.   MON has been "seen buying houses" everywhere from Manchester to North London over the last three years.  None of these rumours were true.  MON may use an offer from Liverpool to extract money from players from the Celtic board- but if he is taking to threatening legal action on this subject, then I think it is fair to say that he isn't going anywhere.

Besides, why leave the green slopes of Celtic Park for mid-table mediocrity in England?

I wont even bother asking who you support manc.Martin Oneill will leave celtic for liverpool next summer if the board offer him the job.There arent too many managers around who would turn down the most succesful club in the history of british football.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhillyBhoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:02 pm

I don't want to be responsible for this thread degenrating into a squabble, but...  Liverpool- like Celtic- is a club that is largely living on past glory.  MON will not go to Liverpool because he will get neither the time to re-build slowly nor the resources to do it quickly.  Managing Liverpool is a no-win situation.

Liverpool's definition of success involves much more than just beating Rangers.  (Although MON has achieved much more).

Until Liverpool go through much harder times, and expectations and timeframes are adjusted, I think that you will continue to flatter to deceive.

Oh and ps- I am not a Manc.
Hope to see you all again in the UEFA Cup.  C'mon the Hoops!
PhillyBhoy

Postby Gareth G » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:21 pm

I was talking to my uncle's brother the other day, he was telling me of a friend he has that live's in Liverpool, he told me the exact name of the town or city but i can't remember it, but anyway he was saying the Martin O'Neill has supposedly bought a house in this place not far from the place this guy live's. I initially laughed it off but he said it has came from a good source!

What are all you're thought's on this, true or false?
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Clifty » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:40 am

I would love Martin O'Neill to come to Anfield (although I also miss Dalglish! Easily Our greatest ever player! but that's another subject!). But he has Champions League guaranteed where we have UEFA Cup..if we're lucky! Truth is know one knows what's going to happen but I believe he is the right man for the job. Can handle players, passionate and firey. He would sweat and bleed for any club he managed and I can even see signs of Shanks in him. Houllier has moved us on a little but I fear we might start moven backwards. It's time for him to move on.
Clifty

Postby Supermarius » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:14 am

:laugh: Martin Oneill would do a great Job at Liverpool,becos he gets the best from his players and i think he has been waiting for a big job like this with a challenge.The rumours are floating around Belfast that he will join Liverpool at the end of the season with houllier moving upstairs
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:22 am

My two cents....

1. Martin O' Neill is an honourable man and regardless of whether or not he wants to joing Liverpool or anybody else, he will always deny that he is going there as Gerard Houllier is still in the job.

2. I don't think there are any secret deals for O' Neill to come to Liverpool or any pre-contracts. That is nonsense.....its just doesn't happen.

3. O' Neill buying a house in Liverpool is irrelevant. Modern footballers (and managers) are investing all their money in property. Robbie Fowler is rumoured to have a property portfolio of 35 houses!

4. Despite the above, many ordinary Liverpool fans want O' Neill. Also, I have a feeling that some of the shareholders want O' Neill, but the main man, David Moores, wants to keep faith with Gerard Houllier.

5. If David Moores steps aside (there is a 50% chance that he will in the summer) Houllier is dead meat at Anfield as they new majority shareholders will get rid of him.

6. I think Martin O' Neill is very happy in Scotland, but I reckon he is frustrated by lack of funds and the monotony of playing Dundee, Hearts etc. I think Liam Miller joining Man UTD will really p#ss him off.

7. If Houllier stands down and the job is offered to O' Neill in the summer, O' Neill will take the job.

8. Celtic are not guaranteed Champions League football. They have to play a qualifier to get in and two years ago they lost this qualifier.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:04 pm

Good points JBG. By the end of this season, he'll have done four seasons in Scotland and will have won the title three times. I think that he'll be ready to move on.

Incidentally the champions in Scotland this season will qualify automatically for the Champoions League.....there will be no qualifier for the champions. Rangers will have to play the qualifiers. This is because Scotland's rating, at club level, has risen as a result of Celtic's good UEFA Cup run last season.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redlester » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:47 pm

Redandblue is right - which guarantees MON and Celtic Champions League footie as opposed to us with a scramble to even get a CL qualifying spot - and look what happened to Newcastle last year. However, resurrecting Liverpool would be a huge challenge and doing mental battle with Fergie and Wenger would be grist to MON's mill - If JBG is right [and I don't doubt his analysis] I'm crossing my fingers that Moores will go and the board can then dispense completely with GH's services and bring MON in. We performed woefully against Yeovil Town - albeit that we won but I don't want to see us becoming a team that has to dive for penalties against lesser opposition to secure our cup passage. We did well against Chelsea granted but taken together with a victory secured by an og against villa it hardly counts as a secure foundation. The lads need to do better - hopefully things will improve when MO finds his form but we shouldn't be in the position where we are so dependent on one player.
Redlester

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:25 pm

If Houllier is sacked or leaves and O'Neil is offered the job after the season ends he will take it.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:34 pm

I agree with Has.

1. If we finish 5th Houllier will go. I think even he would realise that his time is up. Moores would get it in the ear from Morgan and I think Moores will stand aside if we finish 5th.

2. If Moores goes, Houllier is a dead man walking.

3. Even if Houllier finishes 4th, there's a chance he might go, as the row over Stanley Park could lead to Moores stepping aside.

4. If Houllier goes, O' Neill will be offered the job immediately.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion