Manchester have spent more,but ..... - Your thoughts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 pm

cuppatea wrote:You do realise that being complimentary towards Biscan and claiming he's good enough for a regular first team place at Liverpool aren't the same thing... ?

You do realise that your point was about comparing Babel to Biscan don't you? Or did you conveniently forget?

I think there is a consensus that Biscan was and is not good enough for us, despite having the odd good game for us in his final season.

Babel hasn't come here to be an Igor Biscan, Ajax fans are probably in unanimous agreement if you ask them whether Babel is fit to be a back up for us. The question is whether he is good enough for the first team, that is why opinion is more polarised in the Ajax forums and given he is only 20 that is understandable.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:52 pm

heimdall wrote:lfc2007 what gives, you seem to be starting arguments in almost evry single thread I read these days, chil out ffs and just enjoy the new look Liverpool.

It's called discussion, what discussion is to me is what an argument is to you.

I am more than looking forward to this season, there are just a few who like to scaremonger over incorrect facts.
LFC2007

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:35 pm

bigmick wrote:
Sean wrote: I despise the mancs as much as anyone but will acknowledge that Keane was the outstanding player of his generation and only wish Gerrard was on a par.

Well they are very different players and difficult as such to compare but I would have thought that Gerrard is probably entering a stage of his career where he could surpass Keane on an individual level.

There is absolutely no question that at his peak, Keane was the best midfield player in the Premiership with only latterly Vierra able to challenge him, and it is my view that Gerrard is comfortably the best around right now. It could in fact be argued that Gerrard is further ahead than Keane was of his immediate rivals as in all honesty, there isn't a midfield player in the truest sense of the word (ie not a winger) that could be realistically mentioned in the same breath as our captain at the moment. I would suppose that Fabregas is in the early stages of developing into an absolutely fantastic player, but he is alone on the horizon of challengers to Gerrard in my opinion anyway.

Agree With What Your Saying About Gerrard Becoming Better Than Keane But Keane Was A More Protect The Back 4 Player Where As Gerrard Can Do This As Well As Attack Score Goals Aswell As Many Assists , I Think Gerrard Is The Best Centre Mid The World HAs Seen.
Kopite-Jud

Postby red37 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Grammar is our friend.....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby cuppatea » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
cuppatea wrote:You do realise that being complimentary towards Biscan and claiming he's good enough for a regular first team place at Liverpool aren't the same thing... ?

You do realise that your point was about comparing Babel to Biscan don't you? Or did you conveniently forget?

I think there is a consensus that Biscan was and is not good enough for us, despite having the odd good game for us in his final season.

Babel hasn't come here to be an Igor Biscan, Ajax fans are probably in unanimous agreement if you ask them whether Babel is fit to be a back up for us. The question is whether he is good enough for the first team, that is why opinion is more polarised in the Ajax forums and given he is only 20 that is understandable.

You missed the point entirely. I didn't compare Babel and Biscan as players, I said fans are far more likely to react positively to a poorly performing player once he's left the club (assuming it was an amicable depature) and used Biscan as an example of that, and even though you refuse to accept that point, 3 fans have since replied in a positive manner towards Biscan (a player slaughtered by the vast majority of our fans during his time here), suggesting my point is a valid one.

Anyway, that really is my final post on the matter because I get the impression you could go on forever like this, arguing about every little point, and I really don't have the patience.
cuppatea

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:33 pm

I never said you compared Biscan and Babel as players. The point was about the comments of Ajax fans towards Babel and the comparison of comments shown towards Biscan by Liverpool fans to Panathinaikos fans. Here is why the comparison is wrong and why you miss the point:

When Biscan left for Panathinaikos it was a significant step down in his career, our fans are more likely to be complimentary to him in terms of how we think he will fair in Greece as the standard of league he moved to was one much lower than that of the Premier League. The reasons for being complimentary - of those who are - were also greatly enhanced by his final season where he achieved cult like status for some of his European performances. However, very many fans were still thankful that he was gone as he was not up to the standard we require. Fans may be positive towards him leaving, but the majority are glad of it. They will wish him well, absolutely, but they will not give a ringing endorsement of his ability to succeed at OUR level consistently - with the odd exception i.e. Igor Zidane.

With Babel moving to us, he is moving to a league with more quality and one that is harder to succeed in than in Holland. The Ajax fans are more likely to be pessimistic about his chances of success as they know the EPL is a tougher division to succeed in. They also know that we expect him to play a greater role this season than they would have expected from a player so young. In any case plenty of Ajax fans were very positive about Babel, the main point they stressed was that he needed to work hard and be given time in order to succeed.

To scaremonger over a few comments on an Ajax forum that also contained many positive remarks about the boy is quite petty in my view.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion