Manchester have spent more,but ..... - Your thoughts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:40 pm

has SG ever controlled a game at a world cup/european chamnpionship/ Champions league final stages? (2005 Milan were on top for most of the game , LFC had 6 minutes but Milan ran the game) SG disappeared after first 30 mins in this year's final, Chelsea were on top too.

SG is a better striker of a ball but Keane dragged a rubbish Irish team past an excellent Dutch team and portugeese team to world cup in 2002, he single handedly controlled those games against world class players, he had Kevin Kilbane and Kavanagh in midfield with him FFS!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:41 pm

The only criticism I have of Gerrard, and maybe the reason I'd refrain from calling him the best in the Premiership, is he tries to do too much. Too many attempts at impossible through balls, getting round the pitch too much etc He is brilliant in every department except maybe heading and even then he's not bad. The only shame is he can play only one position as I'm sure he could excel in most positions. Without Gerrard we'd possibly be outside the top four, I doubt the mancs would have had that problem without Keane
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:42 pm

cuppatea wrote:If we're spending £11.5m on a 20 year old from a smaller team in a much smaller league, to fill a position in which we're in desperate need of quality, then I'd expect fans of his previous club to at least rate him. Infact, I'd expect their fans to be in awe of what an amazing talent he was, rather than seeing over half of them be delighted to get shut of him. I don't want to read things like "he can't trap a ball", "he's useless", "he needs 10 chances for 1 goal", "I'll cycle him to Liverpool myself" etc from the fans that have seen more of him than any of us. If he's barely good enough to make a positive impression at Ajax, how is he going to make a big impact at Liverpool? We don't need a player who in 3 years can be as good as Wesley Sneijder (who himself nearly moved to Valencia this summer for LESS than we're paying for Babel), we need someone who can come in and improve the team NOW.

My hope was that after playing Zenden in the Champions League final last season (a man who offered even less to the club than Biscan) we'd go out and sign someone of genuine quality on the left wing, not a squad player or someone who is potentially good a few years down the line (and not someone who cites striker as his favoured position). As things stand now, the best we have to offer on the left is Harry Kewell (who as I've said before, can't be relied on for form or fitness) and after spending over £40m in the summer, I'd have hoped for more than that.

Also, just because Benitez has been aware of Babel since his days at Valencia doesn't mean he's been extensively scouting him for all of that time. Do you honestly get the impression that Babel was our first choice for the left? Where was our name in the frame when he was being linked with a £5-6m move to Arsenal a few weeks ago? The first time Babel ever mentioned Liverpool was about a week ago when it was reported we'd put a bid in, before that he was practically begging for Wenger to sign him. And was Malouda lying when he said he'd been in direct contact with Benitez weeks ago before eventually choosing the move to Chelsea? I'd be astonished if a 20 year old right footed striker was our #1 left wing target at the start of the summer.

Like I said, he is 20. In three years time if he was still at Ajax they may be raving about him in just the same vein as Sneijder or Huntelaar now. You say we need someone now, am I not correct in saying we have kewell, Riise and Aurelio who can play on the left and the transfer window still has a month to run.

You are going by the comments of one forum, and on that forum you ignore the positive comments for your own alarmism. They do not represent the whole of Ajax, just like this forum doesn't represent the whole of Liverpool. I will again give you Sissoko as a prime example, he polarises opinion on this forum - that's why it is called a forum. Unless you are talking about Gerrard or Carra you are unlikely to get a resounding endorsement from everyone on any other player.

Did I ever say Babel was our number one target this summer? I don't think so. You give the impression that he was signed on a whim, when the reality is that we have been following him for a long time - by Rafa's own admission. You don't justify £11.5m to a new board and new owners without demonstrating that you have scouted the player extensively, you give the impression that it's a simple process with no-one to justify to. If you think he hasn't been scouted extensively then I suggest you learn more about the game. He may well have been our number one target, all there is to suggest we were interested in Malouda or the other purported targets are a few loose comments from either the player or an agent - with no concrete substance to them. Babel may have been 'linked' to Arsenal, so what, it means nothing - he is Dutch, Arsenal always get linked with what the press perceive as being the next Bergkamp. There was never anything to suggest they were interested in him, and they signed da silva before in any case.
LFC2007

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Whom ever said Biscan was :censored: wants to take there head for a wobble . Biscan was ruined by Houllier , he played him at centre half and wrecked the lads confidence, whilst i'm not sayng he was a world beater, he certainly wasn,t sh!t playing in his prefered position of centre midfielder.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Well he's not remotely up to the standard of midfielder we need, that is what the head wobblers mean.
LFC2007

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Well biscan did a job in his last year here , and whilst i agree he is not what is required now , it's a little bit offensive to the lad not to acknowledge the contribtion he made in his last season with us , rafa proved that by playing the lad in his correct position he could contribute to the overall effctiveness of the team. I repeat houllier ruined the lad.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:42 pm

I acknowledge his contribution in some games he played in during his last season, Leverkusen at home and Depor away stand out. Having said that, Rafa was able to make the most out of a number of poor players, not in the league but in Europe. I don't think that alters the fact that he is not nearly up to the standard we require on a consistent basis in the league.
LFC2007

Postby cuppatea » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Well I think the above few posts prove my point about certain Liverpool fans being complimentary towards Biscan then...

Also, I wasn't just basing my opinion on 1 forum, I linked you to another Dutch site in which they were slagging him off before he'd even left.

BUT... I've said my piece and now I'm prepared to give the lad a chance to prove to me that he can make it at Liverpool, which is of course what I'm really hoping for, despite my reservations.
cuppatea

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:11 pm

cuppatea wrote:Well I think the above few posts prove my point about certain Liverpool fans being complimentary towards Biscan then...

Did you not see his signature?

He still acknowledges that he is not up to the standard we require, so it doesn't prove your point.
LFC2007

Postby redsince2001 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:26 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I acknowledge his contribution in some games he played in during his last season, Leverkusen at home and Depor away stand out. Having said that, Rafa was able to make the most out of a number of poor players, not in the league but in Europe. I don't think that alters the fact that he is not nearly up to the standard we require on a consistent basis in the league.

and juventus away in the champions league quaters when stevie was suspended/injured .... his most memorable performance in a red shirt !!!

:buttrock
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby cuppatea » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:33 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
cuppatea wrote:Well I think the above few posts prove my point about certain Liverpool fans being complimentary towards Biscan then...

He still acknowledges that he is not up to the standard we require, so it doesn't prove your point.

You do realise that being complimentary towards Biscan and claiming he's good enough for a regular first team place at Liverpool aren't the same thing... ?
cuppatea

Postby heimdall » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:41 pm

lfc2007 what gives, you seem to be starting arguments in almost evry single thread I read these days, chil out ffs and just enjoy the new look Liverpool.

I cannot wait fot the season to start now, I genuinly think we have a chance especially as this Tevez thing is going to distract Manure and it looks like Chelski are loosing Robben which I think will be a big blow to them. I can't stand Robben, the cheating git, but he is an awesome player.
heimdall

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:56 pm

cuppatea wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

You do realise that being complimentary towards Biscan and claiming he's good enough for a regular first team place at Liverpool aren't the same thing... ?

Biscan was a very poor centre half ,infact he was atrocious, but that wasn't his position.
When played in his correct position he played well for the team , broke up play created chances for himself and other players and scored a couple of decent goals . Again whilst admitting he wouldn't get a sniff in our present midfield i firmly believe that if he was played as a centre mid from the off ,there is a possibilty he would still be a squad player at Liverpool today. By the way i got my sig before he was made into a cult hero and people still thought he was sh!t, except myself of course. :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:19 pm

Biscan in his pomp! :buttrock

Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Again whilst admitting he wouldn't get a sniff in our present midfield i firmly believe that if he was played as a centre mid from the off ,there is a possibilty he would still be a squad player at Liverpool today.

I agree with you Ig. Criminally utilized by Ged he was. Then again, this was the same fella who'd rather see Jari with splinters in his ar5e than allow him help the club out of the mire at the time far more often than he gave the lad license to.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion