Man for man - How do we rate?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Once United go behind in a game, against a decent team no less (not your Villa's and your Spurs), they don't know what to do. They freak out. They fall apart. They start arguing with eachother. Ronaldo takes a hissy fit etc etc. The bench looks clueless. This is the telling factor for me that they are the most overrated shower of shyte out there. They played against a class team who knows how to keep a lead in the CL and they were found out. Was bound to happen. I can only wish it was us. Next year, dear God, please let us draw them instead of the other blue shyte for once.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu May 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Once United go behind in a game, against a decent team no less (not your Villa's and your Spurs), they don't know what to do. They freak out. They fall apart. They start arguing with eachother. Ronaldo takes a hissy fit etc etc. The bench looks clueless. This is the telling factor for me that they are the most overrated shower of shyte out there. They played against a class team who knows how to keep a lead in the CL and they were found out. Was bound to happen. I can only wish it was us. Next year, dear God, please let us draw them instead of the other blue shyte for once.

Amen to that
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri May 29, 2009 11:02 am

We are very close. The main need is for a world class (or approaching world class) player for the three behind Torres. Since Kuyt has shown his worth to the side, the player should be adept on the left of the three, but ideally will be capable of filling more than the one position should the need arise.

I don't know what the budget is, but I would address this deficiency as the highest priority. Another attacker would be a bonus, as would Barry coming in as an upgrade on Lucas, as would a better right back.

But I don't want us to make the error of spreading our resources too thin again. If we only sign one main player to improve the first eleven, with the displaced player strngthening the squad, that's a step forward. Two like that and we're in business. We don't need 5 players IMHO (unless we have serious amounts of cash).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri May 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Once United go behind in a game, against a decent team no less (not your Villa's and your Spurs), they don't know what to do. They freak out. They fall apart. They start arguing with eachother. Ronaldo takes a hissy fit etc etc. The bench looks clueless. This is the telling factor for me that they are the most overrated shower of shyte out there. They played against a class team who knows how to keep a lead in the CL and they were found out. Was bound to happen. I can only wish it was us. Next year, dear God, please let us draw them instead of the other blue shyte for once.

The problem with clubs like villa and spudz is they talk a big game, but they very rarely play one. With regards leads, they take the lead and are too wary of one goal and go to pieces. Weren't the bitters 2-0 up against the mancs and lost 2-4 a few seasons ago? They are now talking about winning the trophy they feel they deserve, the problem is they have two ways of playing - close out the opposition and hope for a narrow win or 0-0, or open the game up but they're not good enough to control the games fully. Regardless what is said of the penalty the mancs got against spudz, spudz lost control of the game and defended poorly.

28/04/07 : Everton 2-4 Man Utd
Stubbs 12, Fernandes 50
O'Shea 61, P.Neville 68 (og), Rooney 79, Eagles 90

2-0 up at half-time and 2-3 behind in an 18 min spell. Sides like that can score too early, makes them very edgy and this kind of capitulation isn't that uncommon. If Scholes hadn't handled against Fulham they would have been 0-1 behind, but with 11 men you would have backed the mancs to come back. The red card was more crucial than the goal. I think the same would have been the case with Jose's "ghost goal"

villa, spudz and the bitters have a lot of signings to make before they will be able to do more than cause one-off upsets. They're not consistent enough, the celebrate wins over us, Chelsea, Arsenal and the mancs like they've won a cup when, if they were good enough to finish top four then they should be winning often enough for celebrations to be much lower key. I have to laugh thinking back when Bolton fans thought fat sam was their messiah and taking them into the top four, they did a combined XI and even the most sensible managed to make it about half and half. We might not have been great at the time but p-l-e-a-s-e. They were picking players of the quality of Nicky Hunt, Kevin Davies, Compo etc when we had better players. On a good day they might have been better, but not consistently. What really makes me laugh is they knocked Diouf and then they signed him! I reckon Nolan and Jaaskelainen would have got in our side, the rest would have required the bias their fans provided to make a combined XI even if it was close. We were winning trophies and right in the mix in the top four, they were sitting near the top of the also rans and winning jacksheet.

I'd give you good odds on most villa and bitters fans getting carried away with finishing NINE points behind Arsenal and loading a combined XI with at best 7-4 in our favour.

I agree with some of the XI that put five of our players in the frame for a three-way XI with the mancs and Chelsea. Reina would be a close one with VDS and Cech, I'd probably put Terry next to Vidic although you could make a case for any two from three or four, I'd favour Gerrard but again you could make cases for players like fat frank, but it certainly is possible we could get 4-5 players in a combined XI. Doesn't mean a lot mind, you still need another six players and it is the quality of those players that makes the difference.
Last edited by Owzat on Fri May 29, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri May 29, 2009 2:24 pm

aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:well the wenger untouchables proved themselves worthy of the tag going a whole season undefeated and they were and have been one of the best teams around for a fair number of years . The current manc team while good is overrated but we have slipped up when we have had chances to overhaul them this year

i dont understand the whole 'overrated' theory everyone seems to be coming up with atm...

if they end up winning everything... (let's face it they'r clear favourites for the league and already wrapped up the carling cup, world club champ.. already a treble) and still in with a shout for the FA cup and Champs league... if they end the season with 5 trophies (community shield is nonsense but 6 if included)...

would you still say that they'r overrated ?

put it in a different way... if they end up winning everything they competed for, how could they possibly be overrated ?

When it comes to calls of them being the greatest team ever and all that then yes i do think that sort of statement makes them overrated. They won the World club whatever thingy - nothing to cry home about - won CC which is a decent trophy - had a nice easy run in the FA Cup and have been unconvincing in the CL . When it comes to the league they have had a good run which helped them get past us but and its a big but they wouldnt be up there if we hadnt of thrown away points left right and centre so yes i dont think they are as good as what the media and pundits etc rate them .

sorry mate but thats a pile of rubbish right there... if they end up successfully defending their champs league and english league titles, and then add to that 4 more trophies, all in one season....they'll have to go down as one of the greatest sides in world club history... in my books atleast...

you might get lucky in a few games, maybe a cup final or a semi... but to win 6 trophies(if they do)... takes a little more than that...

Is it still a pile of rubbish - Greatest team around my ar.se .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Fri May 29, 2009 2:33 pm

GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:well the wenger untouchables proved themselves worthy of the tag going a whole season undefeated and they were and have been one of the best teams around for a fair number of years . The current manc team while good is overrated but we have slipped up when we have had chances to overhaul them this year

i dont understand the whole 'overrated' theory everyone seems to be coming up with atm...

if they end up winning everything... (let's face it they'r clear favourites for the league and already wrapped up the carling cup, world club champ.. already a treble) and still in with a shout for the FA cup and Champs league... if they end the season with 5 trophies (community shield is nonsense but 6 if included)...

put it in a different way... if they end up winning everything they competed for, how could they possibly be overrated ?

When it comes to calls of them being the greatest team ever and all that then yes i do think that sort of statement makes them overrated. They won the World club whatever thingy - nothing to cry home about - won CC which is a decent trophy - had a nice easy run in the FA Cup and have been unconvincing in the CL . When it comes to the league they have had a good run which helped them get past us but and its a big but they wouldnt be up there if we hadnt of thrown away points left right and centre so yes i dont think they are as good as what the media and pundits etc rate them .

sorry mate but thats a pile of rubbish right there... if they end up successfully defending their champs league and english league titles, and then add to that 4 more trophies, all in one season....they'll have to go down as one of the greatest sides in world club history... in my books atleast...

you might get lucky in a few games, maybe a cup final or a semi... but to win 6 trophies(if they do)... takes a little more than that...

How many teams are there around your ar.se?
???
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Fri May 29, 2009 5:45 pm

at the end of the day. if a team is great, u can pitch them against any good team and u expected them to win.

this mancs team is damn damn over-rated, they played us lost twice, and got trashed at home. they were totally out played by barca, scholes and the diving king is lucky to not get send off.

the great mancs team was when giggs was the best left mid in the world, beckham the best crosser of the ball, keane the mafia boss in the middle, and scholes used to wait outside the box for the kill. andy cole needs 7 chances to score one, but still managed to score a handful. i used to think when peter schmeichel retires their empire will crumples, but sadly crack are showing only now.

name a mancs midfielder will like to take into our team now? hell, in the 90's i will want all their 4 midfielders. but not now, u can see how they are slowly crumpling, in fact, how they wish they have our 3 against barca in the final.
and ya, they won the league, well, sometimes sh.i.t` happens.... Inter won 4 league titles in a row, but we will beat them half drunk, half awake, but i cant say the same against ac milan or juventus.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 pm

GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:

mmm.. yea its still a pile of rubbish ... theyr not the greatest side ever or any of that Bs but theyr still a very good side who have done very well this season and defo a side that will go down in history books as one of the better Manutd sides in recent memory (interms of trophies won atleast).. this season alone theyv won the league, CC and World championship, the charity shield too.. add to that a CL final and FA cup semi and an appearance in the Uefa super cup thing and you can see that it doesnt really get much better than that... I agree at some point the expectations were probably a little too high, but if anything that just proves the point really...

Regardless of the opposition, or the matter in which they lost in the cL final, they still had a very good season by all standards and probably deserve the success they have achieved/ have been achieving in the past few years...

Man for man, they'r still the best team around the prem... and thats why they end up winning it ...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 pm

aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:
aCe' wrote:

mmm.. yea its still a pile of rubbish ... theyr not the greatest side ever or any of that Bs but theyr still a very good side who have done very well this season and defo a side that will go down in history books as one of the better Manutd sides in recent memory (interms of trophies won atleast).. this season alone theyv won the league, CC and World championship, the charity shield too.. add to that a CL final and FA cup semi and an appearance in the Uefa super cup thing and you can see that it doesnt really get much better than that... I agree at some point the expectations were probably a little too high, but if anything that just proves the point really...

Regardless of the opposition, or the matter in which they lost in the cL final, they still had a very good season by all standards and probably deserve the success they have achieved/ have been achieving in the past few years...

Man for man, they'r still the best team around the prem... and thats why they end up winning it ...

I disagree.
Of course they won the most games and gained the most points but they had the most luck as well. We virtually handed it on a plate to them due to the draws. They also had the media on their side before a ball was kicked. Ferguson best ever manager. Team best ever. Players: Ronaldo, Vidic, Giggs, best ever. Catch up to Liverpools titles. Win the quadruple etc etc. ad nauseum.
Then they had king of the mind games spinning, threatening referees and blustering his way through the season. Dodgy decisions and jammy goals from kids. Teams rolling over. It all added up to them winning the title.
And I still maintain what I said at the very begining of this thread:
Man for man we are equal if not better than them
:nod
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sat May 30, 2009 9:36 am

Simple stat sums up why Man Utd won the league, they won 19 of their 20 games against sides in the bottom half of the table while we won 15 games against the same sides. In a previous season we'd have been lucky to take a point off the mancs, had we taken one point off them as had been our previous best under Rafa, then the gap at the top would have been 13 points and we'd have been third, two points behind Chelsea.

Were the mancs lucky or simply showed the resilience we did earlier in the season? Plenty say we were lucky having had TEN red cards shown to opponents we played. It is swings and roundabouts with luck, at the end of the day the league title is not decided on luck. We didn't win enough games, simple as. Had we won just TWO of our ELEVEN draws then we would have won the league on goal difference. To say the mancs were lucky is no more true than the little club myth about refs favouring the big clubs with decisions.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sat May 30, 2009 9:37 am

i agree with sir rog here . Very overrated team . Ignore tin pots like cc and world club and charity shield , yes they are trophies but pretty meaningless . Yes they won the league but they still nowhere near a greatest team . They got lucky this year in the league and their route to the cl final was minor compared to barce and any time they have faced strong teams this season they got thumped . Overrated by a mile .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat May 30, 2009 11:23 am

I agree 100% with GYBS. The Mancs are massively overrated, and are a very average Premiership winning team. We are currently the best team in the league, and we effectively gave it to them to win.

He doesn't extrapolate his theories so I'll do it for him. We should have won the league this season, it was a golden opportunity which will never be repeated. That doesn't mean we'll never win it, but it does mean it was easier to win than any time in memory this season just gone.

He's probably agree up to this point. He won't agree with this bit, but that's OK.

The primary reason we didn't win it was/is because we didn't show anywhere near enough adventure and ambition in the first 2/3 of the season. We settled for draws when we should have been pressing for wins, and we set up to avoid defeat when we should have been setting up to win at all costs.

Also, although we didn't know it at the time, a classic bit of "styling" towards the end of the season proved to be hugely significant. We would still have lost it by one point even had we won at Middlesboro, but who is to say that if the Mancs had been under that kind of pressure they would still have got home? My guess is that Martin Skyrtel has played his last game at right back in a Liverpool shirt.

I agree with GYBS though as I say, the Mancs are no World beaters this time around. We should have won it.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat May 30, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat May 30, 2009 11:29 am

bigmick wrote:I agree 100% with GYBS. The Mancs are massively overrated, and are a very average Premiership winning team. We are currently the best team in the league, and we effectively gave it to them to win.

He doesn't extrapolate his theories so I'll do it for him. We should have won the league this season, it was a golden opportunity which will never be repeated. That doesn't mean we'll never win it, but it does mean it was easier to win than any time in memory this season just gone.

Agree 100%

The Mancs ended the season very strongly...but we threw it away in my opinion.. I dont think anyone has won fewer games and failed to win the league.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Cant disagree with you there Mick - we should of won this season but didnt becuase of those draws against the weaker teams and we must learn from that .

This season wont go down as a great manc side - it will go down as the time the league should of been won by Liverpool - Will be remembered as the time the Mancs got a right lesson in the CL no mention of greatest teams or any of that quintuple rubbish - I believed they were very overrated months ago and im very happy the mancs have proved me right
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat May 30, 2009 2:45 pm

The league was ours to lose from early on, and we managed to do just that...
But come on now, credit where its due, they went on quite a few good runs in the league and while they werent quite what you'd call 'convincing' throughout, they somehow managed to get through and win it with considerable ease...
Im not saying people werent expecting too much from a somewhat overhyped Manutd side, but their achievments this season and last are nothing short of impressive, of that i have no doubt... this squad that they have got, the one that won the league 3 times on the bounce and managed 2 consecutive champs league finals, winning the FA cup, Carling cup, world champs, charity shield..etc etc will go down in history books as one of the better manutd sides in terms of trophies won... in a few years, the neutrals wont remember that Liverpool had a great run in the league and that they threw it away... they wont remember that the manutd side of 08/09 was overhyped and had an easy run in most of the competitions they were in.... its the silverware that everyone remembers and in that aspect i think this side that they have now will for quite some time be remembered as one of their better sides....

Its time for us now to get back on track and start winning things again... the league next season would be a good start and as i said in another thread, in terms of reputation and such, we'r at a crucial point where we absolutely need to capitalise on our success/squad/experience/reputation...etc

With the right buys this summer and better management from Benitez next season, i have no doubt that we can do one better next season and go out an win the league and do even better in Europe....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion